This is why we should oppose electric bikes

Nov. 27, 2015, 4:53 p.m.

I wonder what an ebike race/competition would be like. And, would they need equipment standards, like those applied in auto racing, so its all apples racing apples? Or would it be like enduro, except the climbs would no longer have anything to do with it? That would be like mountain bike stage racing with shuttles to each start gate.

Europe has so many trail types overlaid on a fairly dense network of roads of different types, that I can see ebikes fitting in without impacting mountain bike territory (for the most part). Our situation is quite different. Maybe ebikes could take over the mass of old logging roads.

fall any fall line

Nov. 27, 2015, 7:31 p.m.

so 100 posts since 2006 and now the leading authority on e-bikes? i smell double account..

Nov. 27, 2015, 9:55 p.m.

so 100 posts since 2006 and now the leading authority on e-bikes? i smell double account..

Ha! No double account, and no expert on ebikes (I'm just posting too much). I do know about a lot of things that relate to the "ebike debate" though. (Law, government administration and regulation)

100 posts - I never planned to get that far. Just started when a few issues troubled me. Well, I will aim for 200 posts by 2024, so look out.

fall any fall line

Nov. 28, 2015, 6:48 p.m.

The Energizer Bunny wall-of-text advocacy responses would seem to say otherwise.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 28, 2015, 8:31 p.m.

i'm sure there would never be a thriving 3rd party industry in converting the "pedelecs" to throttle full-on e-dirt-bikes. because i'm sure that would be so difficult to do.

and i also doubt that in 10 or 15 years time they won't have enough power to damage the trails, because the technology is totally mature. and no one would ever want more power than is on tap today, or the ability to upgrade the motor or battery with 3rd party stuff.

even if those things were to come to pass, i guess then all our trails can look like bombed-out shuttle trails, and if you like erosion as TTF it will be good times! just think, now the non-shuttle riding areas can get trenched just as hard as the shuttle zones.

but hey, let's keep promoting these things, because whatever the upside is, i'm sure it's totally worth it! oh right, the upside is getting more people into the sport so that we can really increase our parking/access issues, trail conflicts and trail erosion problems.