This is why we should oppose electric bikes

Nov. 24, 2015, 4:02 p.m.

How much damage would one of these create

Nov. 24, 2015, 4:06 p.m.

Obvs that should not be allowed on our mountain bike trails. We can all agree on that.

Nov. 24, 2015, 4:11 p.m.

Obvs that should not be allowed on our mountain bike trails. We can all agree on that.

Yes however it creates a slippery slope.

Nov. 24, 2015, 4:26 p.m.

how about this one? it has pedals:

Nov. 24, 2015, 5:15 p.m.

OMG THIS IS SO CONFUSING!!!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 24, 2015, 5:31 p.m.

Tioga tire "REALLY"

OMG THIS IS SO CONFUSING!!!

Nov. 24, 2015, 5:32 p.m.

Yes!!! The GT wins!!!

Nov. 24, 2015, 5:52 p.m.

Just an FYI

KTM E-XC = 16 kW

Stealth B-52 = 5.2 kW

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 24, 2015, 6:03 p.m.

Read this months issue of Bike for perspective on the issues the US has with bikes being banned from wilderness areas. Also being banned from areas that might be proposed as designated wilderness. I see mountainbikes as being barely accepted as a human powered means of getting out there. The Monica Cravers of the world disagree and she is not alone. The North Shore is immensely popular for riding now and confrontations are making news. We have trails designated hiking only and even some that are mountain bike only and many that are mtb primary. But we share that space. At the moment local governments are on board with riding their but what if Ernie Crist (RIP) or someone like him was a local mayor? Or someone on the fence until people start riding uphill fast on e-bikes? Certainly today's e-bikes are not exceedingly fast but mark my word, if they get a toe hold and there is money to be made, power outputs will climb. On road e-bikes are limited in speed and power but not off road as far as I know and they are easily modified to up the juice. That is the point a I was making when I started this thread, e-bikes will become more powerful in short order. That's how marketing stuff works. We had a wee issue in Whistler this summer. On some really easy trails in Cheakamus. Line of sight is not great in places and people don't see each other and confrontations happen and someone writes to council and suggests that bikes be banned and councils response sounds like that is being given serious consideration. Throw in motorized e-bikes and now uphills are also taken too fast and we will all be coloured by the same brush. Face it, mountain biking has a reputation as being full of young male freaks jumping whipping roosting which does not mix with hiking very well. Add in powered bikes and that does not bode well for advocacy.

100%. Its not a question of "am I allowed?", its a question of "should I?" In an idealistic world, the decision should be not only about the rules but your own conscience. The guys with heavy leanings on the motorized side of the argument will always want to go where they please, not knowing of the long term consequences. I know, I was one. The guys who have a stake in motorized access (ie: making money) just don't give a shit. A dirt road is fine as allowed by the rules, but taking your pseudo-mountain cycle on a non-motorized trail? Probably not a good idea. No matter what your jaded opinion thinks… probably not a good idea.

We have some local trails popping up that have signs that say "no motorized bikes" and people seem to be listening. Maybe that's a simple start, as I think most people would heed the physical warning signs.

Nov. 24, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

Read this months issue of Bike for perspective on the issues the US has with bikes being banned from wilderness areas. Also being banned from areas that might be proposed as designated wilderness. I see mountainbikes as being barely accepted as a human powered means of getting out there. The Monica Cravers of the world disagree and she is not alone. The North Shore is immensely popular for riding now and confrontations are making news. We have trails designated hiking only and even some that are mountain bike only and many that are mtb primary. But we share that space. At the moment local governments are on board with riding their but what if Ernie Crist (RIP) or someone like him was a local mayor? Or someone on the fence until people start riding uphill fast on e-bikes? Certainly today's e-bikes are not exceedingly fast but mark my word, if they get a toe hold and there is money to be made, power outputs will climb. On road e-bikes are limited in speed and power but not off road as far as I know and they are easily modified to up the juice. That is the point a I was making when I started this thread, e-bikes will become more powerful in short order. That's how marketing stuff works. We had a wee issue in Whistler this summer. On some really easy trails in Cheakamus. Line of sight is not great in places and people don't see each other and confrontations happen and someone writes to council and suggests that bikes be banned and councils response sounds like that is being given serious consideration. Throw in motorized e-bikes and now uphills are also taken too fast and we will all be coloured by the same brush. Face it, mountain biking has a reputation as being full of young male freaks jumping whipping roosting which does not mix with hiking very well. Add in powered bikes and that does not bode well for advocacy.

I cannot believe the fear and fear-mongering on display here. “I see mountainbikes as being barely accepted as a human powered means of getting out there.” Come off it. Really. Mountain bikes are all over the place: literally on the roads and trails, and figuratively in the public consciousness, industry, imagery, and press. Any single issue of any Mtb Magazine illustrates how fully accepted the whole thing is, and how its continuing to grow in popularity and expand into more and more places. There will always be issues. Mountain biking may be removed from some trails where it is now permitted. But there seems to be a never ending number of new trails. The setbacks are not indicative of some apocalypse coming, in which our sport is radically curtailed or stomped out of existence.

Further, the US situation doesn’t translate well to us and never has. The legal structure of land ownership there is very different from here.

Yes, the “Monica Cravers [are] not alone.” So? You seem so scared of any vocal/forcefull opposition. These voices are shrinking, and have been for a long time. Is your fear of them really in correct proportion. Do you not realize how strong the voices of mountain biker’s are? It’s just possible that its the other side that should be scared.

And what about a bad “local mayor.” And, council’s always respond that they are giving “it” serious consideration. It is part of their job to the extent that “serious consideration” is a typical (even used in legal documentation) action descriptor. Further, the process from that to taking any kind of action is a long road full of consultation (i.e., all voices).

And lastly I must comment on this one too. “Face it, mountain biking has a reputation as being full of young male freaks jumping whipping roosting which does not mix with hiking very well.” With all due respect, that reputation has been succeeded by one which is more likely to be full of affluent multi-cross-sectional (multiple ages, sexes, families, incomes) riders on $500.00 to $10,000.00 machines. Even the freaks you mention have grown up, and likely have matured points of view. I bet they still ride like hell, but I bet its on better suspension. And they might even be excited about the kid that's on the way. Who knows.

Our sport did have a difficult birth itself. But, in the big picture, it has never ceased to get better every year. Have some optimism Oldfart.

fall any fall line

Nov. 24, 2015, 10:04 p.m.

I forgot the positive part Oldfart. I actually do appreciate what you have said. I don't agree (as per above) but I also don't rule such negative possibilites out either. For myself, I will keep these thoughts somewhere in the background - but close enough to use them to recognize and quickly get on top of things if the do go haywire wrong. I would be stupid to do otherwise, so thanks.

fall any fall line

Nov. 25, 2015, 6:31 a.m.

I was 4 glasses of wine in when I posted that, and it almost made sense! That's a first!

Nov. 25, 2015, 6:48 a.m.

I was 4 glasses of wine in …

ermagerd#nsmb#thuglife#2015….

Nov. 25, 2015, 7:43 a.m.

ermagerd#nsmb#thuglife#2015….

hardasfuck

Nov. 25, 2015, 12:08 p.m.

wheresmyduvet?