This is why we should oppose electric bikes

Nov. 20, 2015, 7:47 p.m.

Let's all remember that we are a small activity based population with members who share interests and opinions, as well as many differences and takes on things. Norona (I'm already getting bored) is just a guy posting what he thinks is fun and good. He might have an aggenda (we all do) but BCParks is not giving a shit. Like I said, this is a legitamate issue worthy of discussion. But really . . . we are not (at least yet) at some giant precipice. Night riding is usually against municipal bylaws, but a small percentage of us enjoy doing it. For the most part no one has ever cared. Too small a phenomena to either enforce against or legislate to allow. The world is full of this. Norona is a case of this. I remember some guy posting somewhere, photos of a night ride on Burnaby Mountain. He created a very similar reaction. Anyone care? Not anymore. Long forgotten. Let's forget Norona. And lets not try to define acceptable snow cover as if a real regulation could ever be based upon it.

fall any fall line

Nov. 21, 2015, 6:43 p.m.

Let's all remember that we are a small activity based population with members who share interests and opinions, as well as many differences and takes on things. Norona (I'm already getting bored) is just a guy posting what he thinks is fun and good. He might have an aggenda (we all do) but BCParks is not giving a shit. Like I said, this is a legitamate issue worthy of discussion. But really . . . we are not (at least yet) at some giant precipice. Night riding is usually against municipal bylaws, but a small percentage of us enjoy doing it. For the most part no one has ever cared. Too small a phenomena to either enforce against or legislate to allow. The world is full of this. Norona is a case of this. I remember some guy posting somewhere, photos of a night ride on Burnaby Mountain. He created a very similar reaction. Anyone care? Not anymore. Long forgotten. Let's forget Norona. And lets not try to define acceptable snow cover as if a real regulation could ever be based upon it.

Totally agree and well said. Some people have too much time on their hands. Get out and ride! Have a great time. Do something positive for our sport instead of bitching about everything. Will I buy an e bike? Nah, I like the free fitness I get from the sport we love, but if someone else needs or wants some help up the hill, so be it. Life is short. JUST GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!

Nov. 22, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

i can agree with above.. however i think we have to be honest.. they are powered vehicles and should be subject to the same rules and regulations as other powered 2 whl machines…

Nov. 22, 2015, 11:36 a.m.

I'm still curious if anyone thinks that riding the way norona did caused any significant impacts to the trail over and above what a mountain bike would do. I doubt it, but based on the vitriol, some of you must have seen trail damage first hand.

Nov. 22, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

vitriol

Nov. 22, 2015, 1:43 p.m.

vitriol

vit·ri·ol
?vitr??l,?vitr??ôl/Submit
noun
cruel and bitter criticism.
"her mother's sudden gush of fury and vitriol"
archaicliterary
sulfuric acid.

i had to look it up..

Nov. 22, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

I love hanging around here with the great unwashed leads to some good laughs :P

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Nov. 22, 2015, 2:36 p.m.

I don't think anything has qualified as vitriolic, certainly not the thread in general over the last while. I don't fully agree with those who are agreeing with my last post. I'll simplify: ebikes are motor-bikes, I oppose them on hiking/biking trails. I am happy to push this aggenda forward. I see no reason to get emotionally engaged on this, because, like night riding, mountain-ebiking is still pretty minimal. It's not a problem yet. I forsee possible problems and know that it is best to deal with them in advance (now). If it becomes an acual problem, my attitude may change. But for now, I could give a hoot what norona is up to. He certainly isn't going to get me upset. I doubt we will ever cross paths.

small stuff:
I can't see any harm from norona's ebike ride.
The fat tires are probably good mitigaters. Snow would also protect the ground beneath.
Norona's photos seem to show that he was on a road of some kind.
We all know there are ebikes on the trails. Their pilots obviously think its OK. When one of them posts with photos, why not engage him and try to get some understanding from him. Get to know the opposition.
Norona might have been trolling, but if we use our smarts, surely he can be brought out into the light.

fall any fall line

Nov. 22, 2015, 3:46 p.m.

I'm still curious if anyone thinks that riding the way norona did caused any significant impacts to the trail over and above what a mountain bike would do. I doubt it, but based on the vitriol, some of you must have seen trail damage first hand.

I see the problem as two fold;

Mountain bikers have had to work hard to gain any footing with hikers, land owners, etc. Ripping by other users is not going to help our cause to gain more trail access.

Every trail is now a shuttle trail. How many laps could the average rider pull off slowly pedaling the way up mountain hiway vs. a twist of the throttle? Trails like Fromme so close to a major metropoitan area like Vancouver are going to take shit kicking if the majority of riders are someday on e-bikes.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Nov. 22, 2015, 5:36 p.m.

I'm in agreement about how inappropriate they are on normal trails and how their use can lead to conflict and threaten trail access in many areas. This is not what I've been asking about.

I'm trying to understand if they're PHYSICALLY impacting the trails while under snow cover, as in noronas video. That is all. Norona hate/trail access etc are other (important) issues.

No one has convinced me that they're causing any damage over and above what a mountain bike would do.

Nov. 22, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

so by the logic in the last page or so, i should go poach trails in BC parks and then post pictures of it. because after all, the sport is all about having fun, and really, what harm is there?

who cares if there is negative implications to trail access in BC parks. that's someone else's problem.

and here i thought we wanted to be a responsible community and actually increase our legit access to trails.

Nov. 22, 2015, 7:24 p.m.

Dave was riding on a gravel road that goes to the hut at Diomond Head. I think it's the Russet Lake hut and the Rangers motor up there too. No harm would be done by an electric bike there. 299 electric bikes every weekend in the summer would have an impact. A few pedelecs with lower power motors is not an issue. It's where the manufacturers go. More power more speed more better.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 22, 2015, 7:43 p.m.

Twenty years ago people road rigid bikes with almost slick two inch tires and crappy cantilever brakes. The trails were loam.

A few years later, after the industry introduces full suspension, disk brakes, and three inch motocross tires, these new bikes become the norm and the trails get shredded.

Now the people who adopted the trail shredding technology are complaining about what pedal assist will do to the trails?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 22, 2015, 8:46 p.m.

so by the logic in the last page or so, i should go poach trails in BC parks and then post pictures of it. because after all, the sport is all about having fun, and really, what harm is there?

who cares if there is negative implications to trail access in BC parks. that's someone else's problem.

and here i thought we wanted to be a responsible community and actually increase our legit access to trails.

I don't think anyone has suggested that at all.

Nov. 22, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

Twenty years ago people road rigid bikes with almost slick two inch tires and crappy cantilever brakes. The trails were loam.

A few years later, after the industry introduces full suspension, disk brakes, and three inch motocross tires, these new bikes become the norm and the trails get shredded.

Now the people who adopted the trail shredding technology are complaining about what pedal assist will do to the trails?

This is an important perspective to maintain. I shred trails way harder on my modern bike than I used to on the old kit. My recent rides on a 93 deKerf have made that pretty damn clear.

Trails and management have had to adapt, 20 years ago I never would have thought my dirtbag sport would be as organized, legimitized and managed as it is now. I wouldn't be too surprised if busy areas end up with a mix of e-moto friendly and mtb only trails.