This is why we should oppose electric bikes

Oct. 31, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

ultimate trail building machine. Leave from your house(street legal), quiet(200cc 4-stroke), good on fuel and leaves little to no foot print. When we were in Italy it was ok for the trail builders to use similar motos for going to clear trails from wind fall and to do trail maintenance.

What's kind of interesting about the bike below….Gasgas has gone into receivership and the highest bidder to buy it is…..Torrot…..an electric bicycle company.

That would be fucking awesome

Nov. 3, 2015, 12:32 p.m.

Hit the snow today on the pedal assist big boy…from the highlands to the gate used about 3/4-almost all of the battery on level 3 which meant a pretty hard threshold workout, battery was completely gone about a 1km before the elfin hut, continued on in the snow…super fun and by the bottom at the Uni I had regenerated over 1/4 of the power back for the rip home…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrkpaJ9jWw

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 3, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

Looks out there.

Nov. 4, 2015, 7:23 a.m.

E-bikes on north shore trails are one thing .. now we have motorized bikes in Provincial Parks?

Nov. 4, 2015, 7:57 a.m.

i got passed 2x on the climb last week ( he stopped at one point) by a guy on an e-bike. smug assole. now I'm pissed!

Nov. 4, 2015, 8 a.m.

yeah I wonder what BC Parks stance on e-bikes is.

Norona, care to let us know?

Nov. 4, 2015, 8:29 a.m.

http://www.electricbikeaction.com/wild-machines-from-stealth/

"The 4500 watt Stealth Bomber is selectable to 20 mph to be street legal, but flip a switch for off-road and you have up to 50 mph. It uses a 9-speed transmission built into the bottom bracket. Choose between 180 or 200mm of fork travel and 250mm of rear travel. Base retail is $9900."

When you get offroad where the speed isn't regulated flip the switch and go 50 mph buddy!!

80kmh.

"Specialized Turbo, it's you only faster"
It's me slogging uphill all afternoon at 4kmh swearing and trying not to cough up my spleen…
plus a "pedal assist" of an additional 76kmh and a hulk dose of torque. :lol:

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 4, 2015, 8:34 a.m.

yeah I wonder what BC Parks stance on e-bikes is.

Norona, care to let us know?

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

Nov. 4, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

E-bikes on north shore trails are one thing .. now we have motorized bikes in Provincial Parks?

Some of Seymour is in BC Parks.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 4, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

Have the link at home, pedal assist governed to 32km/hr are allowed where bikes are permitted, might want to worry more about all the mountain bikers riding in Garibaldi, Manning Park and other parks like many on here have ridden, first! I really don't get all the panties in a bunch here, clearly it is the fact that someone who might not pass you on a hill now can. Any way it's fun to watch.

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 4, 2015, 1:15 p.m.

i got passed 2x on the climb last week ( he stopped at one point) by a guy on an e-bike. smug assole. now I'm pissed!

Why do you care? I would pass u just pedalling too, would that bother you?! The e-bike is not used to go down hill as you can't ride faster down than you already go, also riding a climbing trail is speed limiting to since you won't make the corners, and up a road that is for motorized traffic, who cares! Enjoy your ride instead of focusing on what you hate in others, that is by you go riding in the first place. Or if not maybe it should be.

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 4, 2015, 1:22 p.m.

I will expect your report on how many illegal trails are still being built, how many riders are riding in provincial parks where bikes are not permitted here in the next week since you seem so concerned on this issue of bikes being in the park. I have seen on these boards many times guys saying to not show or talk about what really goes on, seems like a lot of behind the scenes stuff, but you are not concerned with that I guess, dishonesty from a user group does not go to well when calling out something else. This should give the haters some fun stuff to talk about today, have fun!

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 4, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

I will expect your report on how many illegal trails are still being built, how many riders are riding in provincial parks where bikes are not permitted here in the next week since you seem so concerned on this issue of bikes being in the park. I have seen on these boards many times guys saying to to show or talk about what really goes on, seems like a lot of behind the scenes stuff, but you are not concerned with that I guess, dishonesty from a user group does not go to well when calling out something else.

I for one do not ride in BC Provincial parks here on the island, nor off the island, as there is no legal BC Parks trail network within my immediate area. I don't know any of my peer group that has ridden in Garibaldi or Manning parks, nor do i know anyone that has built any illegal trails. I haven't seen any videos showing these trails being posted on a public forum either. I do remember a time when mountain bikes were allowed in some parks, and even held the staging areas for some local races, but that activity was promptly banned.
The Nanaimo mountain bike club ( not affiliated with them, just ride here ) has gone through a lot of effort working with landowners on a number of legal mountain biking options within regional parks here. the abyss area is part of the TCT, of which is open to non-motorized use as well, however those signs are ignored by the quads and dirt bikers. you can go on lambasting people for illegal this or illegal that, however your outdoor activity spam posts showing a touchy subject in a touchy area are a key trigger to public outrage. besides its fun to yell out .. it's a witch, burn it!!!

i would love to see the link you have from BC Parks in regards to back country access via motorized bikes. ( or pedal assist as you call them … but a motor is a motor! )

Nov. 4, 2015, 1:43 p.m.

Norona's response typical. Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Sorry bud, when you post this on the forum you're gonna get questions.

Nov. 4, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

Sorry bud, when you post this on the forum you're gonna get questions.

I’m going to post some pictures of myself on a pedal assisted fat bike, in a sensitive area, at a speed of 31.7km/h, in a thread titled “This is why we should oppose electric bikes”. I think the reaction will be:

a.) Interest and stoke
b.) Outrage and insults

Norona, if you want Internet attention, why not just ask for it. There are so many better ways to masturbate on the Internet.

FWIW, given the amount of self picture/video you generate, I don’t think you’re passing anyone big boy. Serious question: if you don’t take a picture of the ride, did it actually happen?