This is why we should oppose electric bikes

Sept. 12, 2015, 11:24 p.m.

Ok, so far been with you. But this last post…

If I'm reading this right: Access rights no longer an issue, erosion studies accepted common knowledge, no hiker conflict, nobody will lump us with other used groups to ban us, the uninformed average Joe won't take the other side?

Most of this could be soundly disproved just by scrolling through the topics on this board alone. Better yet spend a minute looking through mtb history, and then boning up on the current issues mtb'ers are facing. Or even a moment of reflection would be enough for the average mountain biker I'd think.

How about: Ernie Crist (rip), Monica, the war in the woods, the chainsaw massacre, new hiker parking lot, and what does NSMBA do? The Sierra Club, militant environmental groups, the trail shutdown in Portland, the petions we've all signed to keep trails open, the fight for National Park access, etc, etc. Off the top of my head anyhow.

Hell, even my own forgotten unused little trail took years of neighborhood meetings and trail maintenance to keep open. And even then we were shut down, for most of the reasons you listed in the post above as non-issues.

Ok, anyhow. Sorry Eco, you seem like a good bloke.

Moving on. Shut them down now. Let the offroad e-bikers figure out their own issues, before they get lumped in with us and they become our issues. Let them figure out user conflict, trail impact studies, etc. Common sense says there's no way. But let them figure it out, and somewhere far away from the mtb and hiking trails.

I think the BLM in Moab got it right. Posted signs on trails banning e-bikes:

"The Moab BLM has determined that motor assisted bicycles (electric, gas or diesel) are motorized vehicles. Use of motor assisted bicycles is only allowed on motorized trails. Please visit the motorized recreation pages for trail information. The use of motor assisted bicycles is NOT allowed on mountain bike trails."

Sorry, maybe i wasn't clear enough. I am right with you on all of what you have said. And, I was not advocating any form of passivity. However, a lot of this history is history, and please don't tell me that we have accomplished nothing with all of it. We have. I think banning ebikes from trails will be easier than it would have in the bad old days. But, am I advocating that we all become complacent and ignore the challenges we still face? Not for a second. We should do whatever we must to ban e-mountainbikes from all of the trails we share, with ourselves and other human powered users.

The thing is though, we cannot do what the MOAB BLM did. So, we must get the authorities (municipal gov'ts, private LO, etc.) to do what the MOAB BLM did. Starting with a ban, and including education like plenty of signage.

I think, we are pretty much on the same page.

fall any fall line

Sept. 13, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

e-bikes are already yesterday. the next wave of bicycle excitement is already here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREyAicJXkM

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

Sorry, maybe i wasn't clear enough. I am right with you on all of what you have said. And, I was not advocating any form of passivity. However, a lot of this history is history, and please don't tell me that we have accomplished nothing with all of it. We have. I think banning ebikes from trails will be easier than it would have in the bad old days. But, am I advocating that we all become complacent and ignore the challenges we still face? Not for a second. We should do whatever we must to ban e-mountainbikes from all of the trails we share, with ourselves and other human powered users.

The thing is though, we cannot do what the MOAB BLM did. So, we must get the authorities (municipal gov'ts, private LO, etc.) to do what the MOAB BLM did. Starting with a ban, and including education like plenty of signage.

I think, we are pretty much on the same page.

e-bikes are already banned from DNV parks as per parks bylaws which do not allow motorized vehicles to be operated on dnv parkland.

the question that needs to be asked is will the dnv enforce their own bylaws?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:09 p.m.

build the opposite of flow trails
with lots of tight switchbacks, logs to ride over (perpendicular, not along the top)
hike a bike and portages
rocky sections etc.
basically make it so technical and slow that e-bikers (other than elite level trials riders on e-bikes) can't ride as fast as a trail runner (technical trails can also be low consequence/low risk for regular mtn bikers)
make it unpleasant/no fun for e-bikers to poach on non-motorized trails

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:44 p.m.

e-bikes are already banned from DNV parks as per parks bylaws which do not allow motorized vehicles to be operated on dnv parkland.

This is worth repeating. Again. And again.

Stop calling them e-bikes. Call them what they really are, motorized bikes.

Sept. 13, 2015, 10:50 p.m.

^^^^ bikes with engines . . .

as soon as you see it like that , everything changes

which is why they should be trying to hang with the motorized crowd .

that story of the guy on BP totally sums up my concerns .

Sept. 14, 2015, 12:36 p.m.

How about looking up e bike regulations? They can't be over 400 watts. You have to pedal for the power to engage. The power shuts off after 30kph.
This is so e bikes are pedal assist only.
Other wise it is a motor cycle.
Ignorance is bliss.
Plenty of blissful comments.
All emotional retorts with out any facts.
sort of entertaining.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Sept. 14, 2015, 12:40 p.m.

My name's Shaloamer
I am the Baden Powell
Mountain E-biker

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 14, 2015, 1:41 p.m.

How about looking up e bike regulations? They can't be over 400 watts. You have to pedal for the power to engage. The power shuts off after 30kph.
Ignorance is bliss.
sort of entertaining.

There goes that argument.
http://www.electricbikeaction.com/wild-machines-from-stealth/

And 400 watts is a lot. Top riders at the tour will produce those numbers so add that to a normal person's 250 and that person climbs better than Armstrong ever did.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 14, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

There goes that argument.
http://www.electricbikeaction.com/wild-machines-from-stealth/

And 400 watts is a lot. Top riders at the tour will produce those numbers so add that to a normal person's 250 and that person climbs better than Armstrong ever did.

Can't wait to see doping ebikers!

Sept. 14, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

Ignorance is bliss.
sort of entertaining.

30kph ripping straight up hill on single track at a machine steady 400+ watts…is exactly the problem we're been talking about. It's kind of been the whole point of this thread.

I used to commute daily up the giant hill to my house, till I decided I just couldn't hack the soul sucking 6-7kph top speed half hour long slog anymore. Now the commuters on e-bikes hold similar speeds to the cars going up, and they pedal about twice ever. None of them look vaguley like fitness types, which is fine because I figure these folks would all probably be on fossil burners of some kind if not for their e-bikes.

But again, on trail is a whole different enchilada. The above scenerio up steep singletrack would be armeggedon lol.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 14, 2015, 3 p.m.

But all this has been made obsolete by that rocket video.

Nothing less than 200mph up the single track with a trail of flames will do for me now.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 15, 2015, 8:30 a.m.

Thank you buster for that luvly haiku.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Sept. 15, 2015, 8:56 a.m.

More where that came from
The man tries to keep me down
I cannot be stopped.
:woot:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 17, 2015, 8:50 p.m.

The E-Goma is a version of the popular Goma Enduro Race tire designed to stand up to the instant torque curves of electric bikes. The compound offers increased strength and durability over traditional tires, which helps too reduce the quantity of knobs ripped off the tire when acceleration.

The new E word.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.