This is why we should oppose electric bikes

Aug. 30, 2015, 11:31 a.m.

Gt dad can you be more specific? What trail were you on?
Was the person in the quad perhaps physically handicapped?
Maybe the guy in the E quad…….E quad sounds nasty!
Any ways he wants to be on the trails like you.
He almost ran you over?
Come on lets here the whole story.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Aug. 30, 2015, 4:59 p.m.

Was riding down berm trail on my way to circuit 8 I happened to be on left side of trail for second, he flew past me on the right at easily 40k .
I could not hear him coming , no warning , no bell.
He scared the crap out of me as I was just starting steer right.
He was practically silent .
Yes i think he is handicapped.
I don't want to become handicapped either.
However driving a electric quad bike thing at 40 plus k plus past people who can't hear you coming on busy trail is dangerous and stupid.
But at the very least a horn or bell or yell would have been appropriate.
I have seen the fellow since then.
He rides with a girl who is also on an ebike. Probably cause she can't keep up with him on pedals.

Aug. 30, 2015, 5:23 p.m.

looks pretty agile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2-EhhsCCM

That didn't show me anything special. Looks heavy in the air. And, go figure, it goes downhill… just like a BICYCLE.

Aug. 30, 2015, 6:57 p.m.

A good friend of mine has post concussion syndrome and can't exercise very hard at all. Riding flats is hard enough to give him a headache and general shitty feeling. So he bought a Stromer e bike for commuting. Fast. He was in Stanley park about to go up prospect point hill but traffic kind of dictated that he speed up a bit. He was doing 40 kph all the way up that hill. Don't kid yourself these things are pretty fast. Mixing them with regular bikes is like riders and hikers. E bikes and hikers could be a really bad mix. In an appropriate place I think they're fine. But not on the North Van trails.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 30, 2015, 7:45 p.m.

Was riding down berm trail on my way to circuit 8 I happened to be on left side of trail for second, he flew past me on the right at easily 40k .
However driving a electric quad bike thing at 40 plus k plus past people who can't hear you coming on busy trail is dangerous and stupid.
He rides with a girl who is also on an ebike. Probably cause she can't keep up with him on pedals.

Some mountain bikers can go that fast and faster on a flowy DH trail.
One would never expect a person to be going any where near that fast on circuit 8 trail. 20KPH would be fast! (circuit 8 DH I could get close to 40 KPH)
I would call the E Quad dude irresponsible and inappropriate for that trail net work.
For that matter he is operating a four wheel motor vehicle. Not a bicycle at all.
He should be forced to have hockey cards in his spokes at all times. Or a Hope free wheel.

Sept. 5, 2015, 1:03 p.m.

Tippie just got back from Eurobike and he said that the whole show was buzzing and showcasing ebikes of various models makes and abilities. The Euros have embraced them completely.

Sept. 5, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

Tippie just got back from Eurobike and he said that the whole show was buzzing and showcasing ebikes of various models makes and abilities. The Euros have embraced them completely.

I can certainly see their utility in big mountains with big multi hour climbs. But speaking with a couple Swiss guys this summer, they said that off road riding is almost all limited to bike parks and that riding the alpine and other places outside bike parks was not allowed. He said they go but it's frowned upon. That was my understanding too, that these were popular in Europe to access the alpine on big long climbs. Maybe not in Switzerland.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 5, 2015, 8:45 p.m.

I thought the Euro's still hadn't fallen for… sorry…"embraced" 650b yet. But their all over ebikes?

Sept. 6, 2015, 2:31 a.m.

You know I've spoken to a few people that were enthusiastic about them. During the conversations it dawned on me that the thing these people had in common was total lack of common sense. I mean…dumb…as…dirt.

And, somehow, I happily find this very reassuring and I'm not really worried about E-bikes anymore.

In good humour: Are you nuts? "Dumb…as…dirt;" these are the mass that rule everything, everywhere, except maybe CERN! Never 'not worry' about the stupid. Better to prepare for the crap they may send your way.

And, on that point, I hope the leadership of all the mountain biking associations are putting heads together and getting in contact with their respective municipal governments, and raising awareness of these motor-machines with respect to appropriate definitions and controls . . . starting with keeping them on roadways and off trails.

(Apologies if this has been covered, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but will.)

fall any fall line

Sept. 6, 2015, 8:54 a.m.

Ecoriva you are a car loving twit. Keep E bikes off road ways? Do you drive a truck? to carry you and your coffee to work?
E bikes are regulated to death! Just so you can drive your 4000 pound chunk of stamped steel and plastic spewing toxins into the atmosphere.
Oh you havnt read the whole thread? Dont bother.
People hate E bikes because they are new and you cant stand change.
Ecrvia you hate E bikes. Plain and simple.
Understanding takes effort. Im certain you can get others to wallow in your misery.
Misery loves company.
Im off to ride my bike on the road and dirt with happy people. Un like you.

Sept. 6, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

Some mountain bikers can go that fast and faster on a flowy DH trail.

One would never expect a person to be going any where near that fast on circuit 8 trail. 20KPH would be fast! (circuit 8 DH I could get close to 40 KPH)

I would call the E Quad dude irresponsible and inappropriate for that trail net work.

For that matter he is operating a four wheel motor vehicle. Not a bicycle at all.

He should be forced to have hockey cards in his spokes at all times. Or a Hope free wheel.

I have a hope free wheel lol I use it all the time to alert people I'm coming up behind.
Just call ebikes what they are …mopeds.
Mopeds have no business anywhere except on the road .
Motor is a motor , does not matter what makes it go.

Sept. 6, 2015, 11:02 a.m.

. . . starting with keeping them on roadways and off trails.

I feel your rage about car communting Shaloamer. But speaking of reading the whole thread, at least read the guys whole post.

On the road, big thumbs up. Great idea.

On our trails? Not so much a great idea.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 6, 2015, 11:53 a.m.

That didn't show me anything special. Looks heavy in the air. And, go figure, it goes downhill… just like a BICYCLE.

exactly what i thought watching the vid .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 6, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

Ecoriva you are a car loving twit. Keep E bikes off road ways? Do you drive a truck? to carry you and your coffee to work?
E bikes are regulated to death! Just so you can drive your 4000 pound chunk of stamped steel and plastic spewing toxins into the atmosphere.
Oh you havnt read the whole thread? Dont bother.
People hate E bikes because they are new and you cant stand change.
Ecrvia you hate E bikes. Plain and simple.
Understanding takes effort. Im certain you can get others to wallow in your misery.
Misery loves company.
Im off to ride my bike on the road and dirt with happy people. Un like you.

So, I am a car loving unhappy hater who hates E bikes. You sure figured me out fast. And you got all that from a short reasonable post which pointed out that its stronger language was a communication within the realm of good humour. And your post? Its the one that is a blast of emotion/attack. If you are one of those happy people, unlike me, you should be able to have a reasonable discusion about the few points I brought up.

So, I am a car loving twit because I'm not sure of the regulatory place of E bikes. Good deduction.

I "want to keep E bikes off roadways." If you could be a happier person, you might re-read and see that I said the opposite.

Sorry, no truck and no coffee. I went through considerable trouble to locare my office within walking distance from my home. Pretty geen huh?

E bikes are regulated to death? Thats what I want to know about. Maybe you could calm down and elaborate on this. However, I am only interested in local regulations/by-laws, etc.

Why should I not bother to read the whole thread? Are you implying there is nothing in there worth reading. No, right? You are implying that I am beyond able to read with an open mind because I so firmly hate whatever it is you have decided for me. Thanks happy person.

"I can't stand change so I hate E bikes." Well, my whole profession is about change in every way. I create change to our world in countless ways on an ongoing basis. As for E bikes, they interest me greatly. There are some issues but they can be taken care of - but they actually have to be resolved in some real way (thus the need for reasoned discussion). Unlike gas motorcycles, E bikes hold great promise for societal change. They just shouldn't be equated as mountain bikes (bicycles).

I hate plain and simple! Well, its quite something to bump into someone who knows me so damn well.

Wallowing in misery. OK. Got me again. Are you a spy to know my life so perfectly?

Enough. I have no reason to attack you in return. As for your post: it is a pile of nonesensical garbage that contributes nothing to this discussion. As you say, understanding takes effort. You need to put a lot more effort in yourself, and if you cannot read your own post and see the uncontrolled anger in it, well then you have bigger problems.

This is my first time responding to someone like you with regard to this kind of thing. I won't continue with this. You go be happy riding and let the grownups talk about E bikes with reason and open minds.

fall any fall line

Sept. 6, 2015, 4:28 p.m.

Was he wearing a tinfoil helmet?

…this has Kohut written all over it.

Pastor of Muppets