This is why we should oppose electric bikes

Nov. 4, 2015, 2:04 p.m.

Thats right Norona, its everyone else, all the time.

It must be awesome to be completely unencumbered by introspection and self-awareness. Out there! indeed…

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

Nov. 4, 2015, 2:26 p.m.

Photo was taken on the way down to show the bike regenerating power which is pretty awesome! In the vid I was purely pedalling since the battery ran out a kilometre before elfin hut on the extremely sensitive road, which is why bikes are permited in the first place. Yes I only post here now to get a rise out of the bullies that have become nsmb forum users. Keep up the personal attacks, they are fun and funny! I'll keep riding both pedal power and supercharged pedal power.

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 4, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

… I would pass u just pedalling too, would that bother you?!.

not as much for some reason…

Nov. 4, 2015, 2:49 p.m.

Yes I only post here now to get a rise out of the bullies that have become nsmb forum users

You go looking for a fight and everyone else is the bully. What am I missing? MOAR pics!

Nov. 4, 2015, 3:01 p.m.

norona is generating traffic and raising thread view count. any publicity is good publicity I guess. But I am not Out There Woot. What do I know?

Nov. 4, 2015, 3:33 p.m.

Advertising? Sponsored bike?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 4, 2015, 7:52 p.m.

Go Play Outside!

Norona is almost at epic troll level. :lol: Keep it up!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 19, 2015, 9:44 p.m.

Everyone needs to sit back and put a smile on their face. Mountain biking is fun.

Within the realm of discussion, and if a vote were to take place; I would have us prevent any kind of motorized travel in our region’s woods (Park or Private lands) except roadways or purpose built areas put aside for moto etc. So, I am decidedly opposed.

However, in our current circumstances, I am not going to get worked up about it. It is an issue that we need to attend to, and if regulation is required, we need to have input. You know, adult-like behaviour. If circumstances change, I will reassess. It will be an ongoing discussion. Let’s not be derailed by taking on a personal struggle.

So far all norona has contributed to this thread is that he has fun on his motorized bike and likes putting up pictures of it. If people like norona want to participate in a thread by reading it, learning what it is about, and then playing at sticking a finger in the thread's "eye," so what? Ignore the trolling aspect. Don't let his small contribution to the discussion have such an impact. He is only a singular force, and behind the trolling seems to be someone who has found some fun. I will argue against his vehicle of choice and try to move the discourse towards a ban. (by way of reasoned argument.) But I’ve got my own fun to manage. Norona’s activity is not going to get in my way. If nothing happens to prevent ebikes on our trails, and they start to show up in hoardes: then I will get worked up and angry.

We all know there are noronas out there: that is why we are discussing the subject in the first place. Ignore, ignore, ignore, and victory is yours.

[and . . . apologies to absolutely everyone for trying to parent where I have no particular business . . . now get a good sleep and ride hard in tomorrow's sunshine; if you are not picking dirt out of your teeth, and if you don't pass at least one ebike, and you don't spray dirt in the face of it's rider, you ain't going hard enough.]

fall any fall line

Nov. 20, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

Against my better judgement I wade in in…

What exactly is the problem with running these things on snow packed trails? They can't tear up the tread at all, only thing I can think of is speed plus limited visibility is a problem, but we seem to accept that on regular downhill single track all the time. So, regulations aside (because if we ride than we all break em) what's the objection under the conditions norona just showed us?

I rode a fat bike a bit last year, it woulda been a hell of a lot more fun with some e power…

Nov. 20, 2015, 11:08 a.m.

Against my better judgement I wade in in…

What exactly is the problem with running these things on snow packed trails?

unenforceable ambiguity. what is the minimum snow pack to be able to use them without potential trail damage? is a percentage of exposed trail surface allowable? etc.

Nov. 20, 2015, 11:45 a.m.

Ambiguity is why you get specific with legislation.

You could specify no bare trail exposed and a minimum snow depth then. Kinda like how the CRD over here will let us ride 3m wide "trails" and not singletrack.

But everyone's panties are in a bunch over norona's activities specifically, what is the problem in his case? Seems like no one was harmed and the only impact to the trail was likely compacted or scuffed snow.

To be clear, I don't support using these on designated non-motorized trails without snowcover. I understand that there is likely a blanket ban on these in provincial parks, but it would be disingenuous for most of us to claim that since it's not allowed than it's wrong - many of us ride regularly in areas that it's technically not allowed and most of the legal riding areas I'm familliar with were very very illegal when we started riding them. We made the case that we weren't so bad and it's worked in these areas. I'm trying to apply the same standard to these things.

Nov. 20, 2015, 4:57 p.m.

This sounds like hikers and equestrians in the 80's and 90's when mountain bikes started getting popular. A NIMBY is a NIMBY I guess.

I am not saying I think all e-bikes should be allowed on the trail (like the new ones from Kranked are not okay) but more work needs to be done to regulate and create studies with the regulated new tech.

If we are using the argument that more laps equals more wear and tear….should be ban fitter riders as well?

Is it the speed? How come we as mountain bikers are stoked to watch video's of awesome riders ripping down a trail at mache chicken, but when we get to the top faster…it's bad?

Again, I am not endorsing e-bikes, just trying to bring a little sanity to things. But I guess as mountain bikers we need to argue about something. Change is scary!

I'm surprised some of you fell for Norona's pot stirring…lol. That's pro level stuff right there.

Nov. 20, 2015, 5:15 p.m.

Let's recap the facts:
- BC Parks allows mountain biking on almost no trails.
- The trail (really, road) that norona posted those photos from is one of the few that is legit to ride.
- Many hard-working volunteers continue to lobby BC Parks for access to trails that are currently off-limits, and in some areas, just to keep our existing access (e.g. South Chilcotins).

Yet, here norona posts photos of himself violating the regulations BC Parks has established.

The need, logic, or legitimacy of these regulations is not the concern. The question you should be asking is why a sponsored media professional is posting photos of himself doing something that directly makes access to BC Parks trails more difficult for mountain bikers. Do his actions help or hurt the people lobbying to expand the areas where we can legally ride in BC Parks?

If you were to spend some time searching, you will see this isn't the first time he has shared photos of himself or his friends doing things that contravene regulations. So let's just say, this is almost certainly a case of lack of judgement, than trying to stir the pot.

Nov. 20, 2015, 6:23 p.m.

most of the legal riding areas I'm familliar with were very very illegal when we started riding them. We made the case that we weren't so bad and it's worked in these areas. I'm trying to apply the same standard to these things.

The problem with applying the same standard is that the risk vs reward has changed.

I assume two wheeled contraptions had limited legal access to the time you were referring to. There was little access risked by riding in illegal areas at this time.

Now bicycles have legal access to more areas. However, this could be changed by putting motors on a bikes, riding them places motorized vehicles aren't allowed, and calling them pedal bikes. There is a risk this activity results in a bad reputation for pedal bikes and subsequent loss of legal access to trails.

Nov. 20, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

I’m going to post some pictures of myself on a pedal assisted fat bike, in a sensitive area, at a speed of 31.7km/h, in a thread titled “This is why we should oppose electric bikes”. I think the reaction will be:

a.) Interest and stoke
b.) Outrage and insults

Norona, if you want Internet attention, why not just ask for it. There are so many better ways to masturbate on the Internet.

FWIW, given the amount of self picture/video you generate, I don’t think you’re passing anyone big boy. Serious question: if you don’t take a picture of the ride, did it actually happen?

TRUUUU. Dude seems like a supreme fuckboi.