this is too important to Pot Stir. re: 2 recent posts

May 13, 2013, 8:44 a.m.

It seems to fit in with the general sense of entitlement in this city though.

speaking of which……

yday here on the sunshine coast we had some of the lower mainlands finest visiting…..you know the type brand new vehicle,brand new bikes, all cool clothes. dont smile, dont say hi…but drive by doing 80km/hr up the middle of the friggn road. and then when they realize'd they cant find the trails they are lookn for (because they were too cheapo to even stop and buy a fuc$ing mapbook) they stop and ask me for directions in the middle of my strava kom challenging climb i might add..

hey townie go fuckoff back to northvan…

man i feel better now..

for the record of course i knew where mach chicken was and dnz and yea all of them…but yes, i lied and told you i didnt….

May 13, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

and you wonder why it's so hard to get people to volunteer to be a part of the nsmba?

the short answer to this question is perception and communication and these reasons have been around for quite some time.

one of the previous perceptions was that trial builders were grumpy isolationists that would bite your head off if you dared questioned them on the work they were doing. the other was that people were simply unaware of the 5W's of the nsmba. a survey was done back in 2005? or somewhere around there and these were recurring sentiments - as well as that many thought local govt's were responsible for the trals.

to answer both of those issues is somewhat simple though:

1. if people have a complaint, no matter how hard they come at you, try to respond directly to the issue at hand in a non-confrontational manner.

2. like it or not in the online world nsmb seems to be the go-to place for trail discussion - last time i checked there was no discussion board on the NSMBA's website. telling people to come to the agm, or a trail day, or to send me an email is not quite practical for either side. if the complainers did do that i'm sure the reps at the NSMBA would be spending a huge amount of time responding to those questions. if something comes up here, then repsond to it in a manner consistent with point #1 and a lot of this bickering would probably be avoided.

3. having the overall plan for trail work (or whatever may exist of said plan) that's easy to find and readily available to all will also help in assuaging some people's concerns with the direction of trail work as it pertains to the entire trail network.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 13, 2013, 9:01 a.m.

the short answer to this question is perception and communication and these reasons have been around for quite some time.

one of the previous perceptions was that trial builders were grumpy isolationists that would bite your head off if you dared questioned them on the work they were doing. the other was that people were simply unaware of the 5W's of the nsmba. a survey was done back in 2005? or somewhere around there and these were recurring sentiments - as well as that many thought local govt's were responsible.

to answer both of those issues is somewhat simple:

1. if people have a complaint, no matter how hard they come at you, try to respond directly to the issue at hand in a non-confrontational manner.

2. like it or not in the online world nsmb seems to be the go-to place for trail discussion - last time i checked there was no discussion board on the NSMBA's website. telling people to come to the agm, or a trail day, or to send me an email is not quite practical for either side. if the complainers did do that i'm sure the reps at the NSMBA would be spending a huge amouont of time responding to those questions. if something comes up here, then repsond to it in a manner consistent with point #1 and a lot of this bickering would probably be avoided.

3. having the overall plan for trail work (or whatever may exist of said plan) that's easy to find and readily available to all will also help in assuaging some people's concerns with the direction of trail work as it pertains to the entire trail network.

or

4. Carryon and keep getting f'ing shit done like they are, while appeasing the way too numerous land management authorities, teaching trail building skills to other communities, and stoking the hell out of the vast majority of the riding community, all while showing the rest of the city what great stewards of this resource riders are.

May 13, 2013, 9:12 a.m.

or

4. Carryon and keep getting f'ing shit done like they are, while appeasing the way too numerous land management authorities, teaching trail building skills to other communities, and stoking the hell out of the vast majority of the riding community, all while showing the rest of the city what great stewards of this resource riders are.

oh for sure that's a huge part of the overall solution.

however, i'm just trying to address the issues that come up here on the board and your question i quoted. selling the message on the trail is seperate (but not necessarily different from) selling the message in a public forum.

your perception (because you're on the inside and see the benefit) is potentially going to be very different from someone who's not aware and comes across a section of trail they really liked that has now been changed to something they don't like as much. this is a reality that needs to be addressed in some way. it's not to say that the work wasn't necessary; but the question of how to deal with that person's perception of what happened to the trail and the NSMBA'a reasoning for doing said work should be addressed. and again, that comes down to communication, specifically point #1 above.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 13, 2013, 11:22 a.m.

Wow, Vancouver, the only place in BC where a portion of the riding community is vicious and hyper analytical of every decision made and feels they need to be consulted about everything that happens on every trail. Seriously, go to any other community in BC where the local association is doing regular work and the riders in those towns are almost universally stoked and excited….and you wonder why it's so hard to get people to volunteer to be a part of the nsmba?

Surprisingly Campbell River isn't much different. I've put away the tools for a bit and stepped away from mtb'ing (100 mile gravel rides is where it's at). Way too many people want to tell us where and how trail work should (or shouldn't) be done, but none of them want pitch in and help. Factor in a major bike race that treats the local bike club as an inconvenience and I had enough. I may go back to maintaining trails in the fall, or I may not.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 13, 2013, 1:04 p.m.

things must be going pretty good overall to get down to this level of griping :kiss:

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 13, 2013, 1:14 p.m.

things must be going pretty good overall to get down to this level of griping :kiss:

The way I read it is "why are people fixing/repurposing trails that aren't broken?"

Was this even a TAP project anyways?

Pastor of Muppets

May 13, 2013, 1:43 p.m.

you said it man
if is the biggest concern in someones life they truly live in paradise.
its a first world problem

May 13, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

speaking of which……

yday here on the sunshine coast we had some of the lower mainlands finest visiting…..you know the type brand new vehicle,brand new bikes, all cool clothes. dont smile, dont say hi…but drive by doing 80km/hr up the middle of the friggn road. and then when they realize'd they cant find the trails they are lookn for (because they were too cheapo to even stop and buy a fuc$ing mapbook) they stop and ask me for directions in the middle of my strava kom challenging climb i might add..

hey townie go fuckoff back to northvan…

man i feel better now..

for the record of course i knew where mach chicken was and dnz and yea all of them…but yes, i lied and told you i didnt….

How many times are you going to post how hard core are you are? Do you actually have anything to contribute to the conversation at hand?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 13, 2013, 8:27 p.m.

Growing pains. NSMBA has a little bit of money for trail staff, but not yet enough money for paid management and communication staff. Keep it up, it'll be a bumpy road, you'll almost blow up a few times, but you're going down the right path. In a few years you'll be more powerful and be able to build and maintain a lot more trails, and yes, your community will support you once they understand that the real battle isn't from within.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

May 13, 2013, 8:48 p.m.

Growing pains. NSMBA has a little bit of money for trail staff, but not yet enough money for paid management and communication staff. Keep it up, it'll be a bumpy road, you'll almost blow up a few times, but you're going down the right path. In a few years you'll be more powerful and be able to build and maintain a lot more trails, and yes, your community will support you once they understand that the real battle isn't from within.

well stated

May 13, 2013, 8:54 p.m.

How many times are you going to post how hard core are you are? Do you actually have anything to contribute to the conversation at hand?

well since you are going to get like that…my contribution to this bs argument which goes on and on and on…and on….

is…..get involved or stfu….

and my comment was towards the self entitled tits that are all over the mtn bike scene…mostly from the lower mainland ,which as far im concerned, includes the metropolis of langley…

you feeling any better poofie?

May 13, 2013, 9:04 p.m.

Oh man it's tough to sit on the sidelines and watch these debates. It seems Mark Wood chooses to not engage, probably smart, but I would like to shed some light. You can bet 100% that all the work going on has been approved and/or OK'd by the affiliated land-managers. The NSMBA prior to all this work, had hiked all the trails discussed here with the LM's, and together have come up with management plans.
I for one, love a technical climb as much as the next guy, but when evolving a MTB network to sustainability, and opening up that resource to other demographics, logic prevails. All the work is not TAP - check out the NSMBA to find out about other work being done.
One must look at the big picture and not focus on the cut-out log. Remember when you dreaded coming back to the Shore after a great Squid Line session and faced a 45min traffic jam getting onto the Port Mann while the new bridge took way too long to build?…..pretty sweet now huh!!

May 13, 2013, 9:13 p.m.

well since you are going to get like that…my contribution to this bs argument which goes on and on and on…and on….

is…..get involved or stfu….

and my comment was towards the self entitled tits that are all over the mtn bike scene…mostly from the lower mainland ,which as far im concerned, includes the metropolis of langley…

you feeling any better poofie?

Dude come out to valley and I will show you around, I unlike some (yourself included by your own admission!) am not a total stuck up tool.

Have a great day! :)

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 13, 2013, 9:27 p.m.

ho ho hold on a minute!

i have shown many folks around.. and had lots of fun doing it…

was it you who was asking for directions this wknd?