Thinking of moving to Victoria.. Am I going to miss the shore?

April 2, 2012, 8:41 a.m.

So just as the title says, I'm in a nice position in that I work from home and just need to be near a reasonable airport, so I'm thinking of a move to the Island and in particular to Victoria. I've ridden on the Island a number of times before and I'm sure there are more trails that I've found in the past… but am I going to miss the access to the number of trails that we have on the North Shore? Or are there enough in Victoria (and further up in Duncan/Nanaimo etc.) that I'll soon forget about them?

Also any tips for groups/clubs to join over there to show me the goods?

Jon-boy.

April 2, 2012, 8:54 a.m.

What kind of riding do you do? If you are into xc/all mountain, you may find it ok. If you are into DH, the bike park, and the diversity of riding Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, the Valley, and Interior, then you are going to be very disappointed. It's a totally different vibe over there. I've lived in both cities, and I would never live in Victoria again. It also is about a 3hr/$120 round trip:(

April 2, 2012, 8:59 a.m.

It's a totally different vibe over there. I've lived in both cities, and I would never live in Victoria again.

I am more into the pedal up and schralp down type of rides, so yes more AM than DH. I thought the riding there is more that style. I'm also known to get out on the skinny tires too.

So why no love for Vic? I know the pace and vibe is slower but I'm kind of digging that. I'm also digging the real estate prices, hence the move. If I'm getting paid good coin for what I do and I can do it almost anywhere I'm not keen on paying to live in Van any more.

Jon-boy.

April 2, 2012, 9:14 a.m.

There is a lot of more XC/AM-type riding around Victoria. But there is more DH-oriented riding towards Nanaimo.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 2, 2012, 9:18 a.m.

don't think about it as living and riding in Victoria…think about it as being based in Victoria with access to all the riding the Island has to offer.

Lots of great riders and riding opportunities over here.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

April 2, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

don't think about it as living and riding in Victoria…think about it as being based in Victoria with access to all the riding the Island has to offer.

Lots of great riders and riding opportunities over here.

So mid-week evening rides are limited to the dump I guess? That was something I was kind of excited about, getting out to Duncan, Parksville, Nanaimo, Sooke… all those spots and more.

Jon-boy.

April 2, 2012, 10 a.m.

Yeah most after work rides are done at hartland/partridge on the weekends we head out to Sooke, Duncan and beyond. It's no north shore but I enjoy it here.

April 2, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

If you can work from anywhere, why the hell would you choose Victoria? Aim higher.

(this coming from a guy who grew up in and loves Victoria)

iforonewelcome.com

April 2, 2012, 10:29 a.m.

Got to be near a decent airport to get to the US which Victoria has, I can hub via Seattle or San Fran.

I'd like to stay in BC if possible and the GF (who also works from a home office) has the same requirements. Vic has lifestyle, scenery and the other things that we need.

Jon-boy.

April 2, 2012, 11:30 a.m.

Yeah most after work rides are done at hartland/partridge on the weekends we head out to Sooke, Duncan and beyond. It's no north shore but I enjoy it here.

Actually we do lots of after work rides in Sooke. But yes, for that super quick access after work ride Hartland and Partridge is where it's at.

Will you miss the Shore? Probably. Will you be disappointed here? Probably not. There's a reason why the Mountain Bike Vancouver Island book is well over 100 pages. The 2012 edition is coming out shortly as well.

April 2, 2012, 12:29 p.m.

If you ride all mountain then the island has a lot to offer. Although its very spread out.

April 2, 2012, 12:46 p.m.

Is Squamish too far from an airport? How quickly do you need to be on a plane, and are you James Bond?

flickr

April 2, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

best road riding in canada in victoria

April 2, 2012, 2:10 p.m.

Kootenays - airport in Castlegar. Or Canmore.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 2, 2012, 2:23 p.m.

Yeah, looking to move to Castlegar area if and when I can find a job up there.