The Watchmen

March 4, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

Too bad the article is incorrectly identifying the location of the video (and I assume the photo).

Corkscrew is on Mt Seymour.

I guess no one would associate Seymour with any recent issues, eh?

March 4, 2015, 5:26 p.m.

Thank you, Gord, for your thoughtful and balanced response. You've put into words exactly what I and some of my fellow riders have been thinking. I'd like to think of all riders, hikers, dog-walkers, runners, etc. as trail keepers whenever we are out on the trails, whether or not there has been a branch to move, a puddle to drain, or a trail day to help out at. We've been reporting downed trees or other hazards to be aware of via the "Trail Conditions" thread already. So as a long-time rider and active supporter and volunteer of the NSMBA, I have to say I'm uncomfortable with the "Watchmen" look and tone, however well-meaning, considering the timing and how it all looks in the media.

March 4, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

Will all respect Spinner:

I have to disagree with your "solution".

Ignoring an issue by closing our eyes is no way forward. And hopefully it is not our NSMBA's solution either!

LINK TO PROVINCE

Who here went to the Board of Directors meeting to share their thoughts? Only one of us: me.

My main point to them, and there were many, was this:

The image in the paper did all the damage in a mili-second as people will look at the picture, create a meaning of the photo in their mind, and then (if we are lucky) read the article. Even IF they read the article, first impressions still last. (I have a background in user experience and cognitive psychology FYI).

The editorial in the link above cannot be cast off as a pundit. This is a person that is motivated to share their thoughts precipitated by a horrible example of photography among other things. How this "scene" even arrived as a photo op is alarming not only to them, but to me, and many others I have spoken with this morning- members of the NSMBA.

I exclaimed to the BOD of our trail association that this picture does not represent "Trails for All, Trails Forever."

To the builders that stand on their mineral dirt pulpit and exclaim just because I (and other riders) have never picked up a shovel and we have no "RIGHT" to criticize… hmmm… maybe the perceived pundit is not so off the mark?

We cannot simply close our eyes. This situation has affected opponents to mountain bikers, proponents for mountain bikers, general community feel, land owner optics, and likely Sponsors and Donor optics of the NSMBA.

Close our eyes? Absolutely not. If this were a business and some one released a photo like that damaging the goodwill of a Brand that has been built up over a period of years by so many dedicated people ahead of them… someone would be fired.

This was a complete miscalculated step causing now, if we are unlucky, a public relations cascade for our trail association. I see the risk clearly. Many I speak to with this morning also see the risk clearly. I only hope the NSMBA Board also realizes the importance of their next steps on this topic.

I support the NSMBA, I support their message "Trails for All, Trails Forever", I am a small time donor… but that does not mean I have to agree with this- that photo does not represent the NSMBA I choose to support.

I also thank the Board for allowing me to share my thoughts last night with them.

Thank you Gord!.
well said , and thank you for your time and efforts to be at the BOD meeting last night.

The overall concept IMO of Trails for all , Trails forever. Will prosper more with a group of stewards , or ambassadors.
The NSMBA should be more concerned of their image to Non MTBers , and the general public .
Unfortunately the Picture in the Provice news RAG doesn't cast the correct light or feel to what is trying to be accomplished.
Did the NSMBA get a chance to approve a picture like that? ( ie black shirts and folded arms , no smiles to be seen) or did the Province just choose to run it?

Once again , IMO a softer less aggressive image should be cast to the public of what is going on up our mountains. The NSMBA should be concerned of the quick glance public image and hopefully not allow this kind of buzz ….

March 4, 2015, 8:30 p.m.

I have been reading this thread over the past few days and have to admit that initially I felt a bit deflated. It is unfortunate that The Province has presented this new program in the way that it did and it is obvious that they did it with intention of drawing attention. Everyone here has made some very valid points from both sides of the argument. I can see how the cover can convey the wrong message to the community yet on the other hand, I also see the positive impact that a program of dedicated riders who report on trail conditions in such a way that lead trail builders can be made aware of it quickly, can have.

I first heard of the The Watchmen late last summer when I was personally invited, as a result of already being an active communicator of trail conditions, to become a part of it when the program was to launch. I was very excited by the idea of it and felt that this was a great system to ensure that trails are kept in the best of shape, and potential problems that could have severe environmental impacts would be reported to the right people. I felt pride for being invited to be a part of the community who would diligently report the trail conditions to the community and the lead trailbuilders.

Gord made a valid point about 1st impressions being the strongest. Although I thought this program would be received with great praise, it is obvious that, unfortunately with the timing of recent events and the launch of the program that there is a majority of people who question its intent, and the perception the community will have towards the it.

I would support a relaunch of the program and do like the name Trailkeepers as suggested earlier. However, if a relaunch doesn't happen, I will still support the current program. Hopefully through positive attitude, exchange of harmonious words and education… we will show the community that this is positive for everyone and will ensure that the trails are for all and are forever because we're working hard as a united community to keep it that way.

March 4, 2015, 8:39 p.m.

Thank you Gord!.

Did the NSMBA get a chance to approve a picture like that? ( ie black shirts and folded arms , no smiles to be seen) or did the Province just choose to run it?

Hi, I stated my case at the start of the session and left the meeting immediately afterwards. I do not know anything more. I am passionate, as we all are. I hope it reads like that, and not like a whinypants.

Talk less, Say More.

March 4, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

Name should be changed.

the new name should be "The Little Woodies"

Hey Token girl Watchman

Where do work?? I want to come yell things at you.

March 4, 2015, 10:37 p.m.

In politics, timing is everything.

You live, you learn. The program is a good idea and this will pass. The photo will never go away, but the group will be judged more by how friendly its members are.

Keep up the good work, and smile! :couple:

March 4, 2015, 10:44 p.m.

I really don't see the importance of the watchmen, wouldn't it be more beneficial to recruit more volunteers for trailwork?

March 5, 2015, 8:29 a.m.

I really don't see the importance of the watchmen, wouldn't it be more beneficial to recruit more volunteers for trailwork?

Did you read what the group is going to do Sean? Maybe you didn't if you don't see the importance.

Link at the top. The idea is solid and much needed. And much of what they intend to accomplish is in fact trail work.

March 5, 2015, 8:35 a.m.

Name should be changed.

the new name should be "The Little Woodies"

Hey Token girl Watchman

Where do work?? I want to come yell things at you.

That's not terribly helpful. Things are moving forward now. Why rub faces in the dirt?

March 5, 2015, 8:55 a.m.

aside from most of what's already been discussed, why the need for the huge media roll out on this anyway? Just go about your business quietly and effectively.

March 5, 2015, 9:37 a.m.

aside from most of what's already been discussed, why the need for the huge media roll out on this anyway? Just go about your business quietly and effectively.

If you're not posting to (social) media about your ride/dig/breakfast did it really happen?

March 5, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

May I derail this thread a bit?

No. New Thread. Clearly new topics.

Talk less, Say More.

March 5, 2015, 10:47 a.m.

No. New Thread. Clearly new topics.

Done.

March 5, 2015, 11:34 a.m.

Done.

Thanks!

Talk less, Say More.