The Watchmen

March 3, 2015, 6:33 p.m.

I was thinking today, why did the province even run this story? Why would they put a story about a group of mtn bikers getting together to check trail conditions on the front page? Clearly they knew the look and the name are going to come off in a negative way and in a way that we are all talking about, or else they wouldnt have run that story in the first place. They just want people to see it and fuel the "war in the woods" story. You cant tell me the province thinks that what the watchmen actually is, is important enough to the general public to run on the front page.

edit: post above me was made while writing this

March 3, 2015, 6:58 p.m.

this has been raised a few times on the internet and at meetings but at the last agm mr. wood said they would not be producing any sort of public plan; i believe out of concern for it being used by anti-mtb'ing people to potentially harm the nsmba and mtb'ing in some way. it was stated that if you want to know what's going on then come and ask the nsmba directly.

personally i think this is a mistake and agree with having transparency and a publicly accessible trail plan posted on the website.

Which is exactly why a 'bigger picture' person is required to negotiate the PR side of things.

Its all about the story. If we keep hiding behind the rock that's as big as we'll get.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

March 3, 2015, 7:17 p.m.

I was thinking today, why did the province even run this story?

Answer: it's The Province newspaper, tabloid extraordinaire. They trolled way before NSMB was around.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 3, 2015, 9:24 p.m.

Answer: it's The Province newspaper, tabloid extraordinaire. They trolled way before NSMB was around.

John C. told me their mountain bike stories have been getting a lot of traction. His bosses have been particularly impressed by the international traffic. Of course a big portion of that has been steered their direction from sites like ours.

So the real answer is that mountain biking has been attracting eyeballs.

March 3, 2015, 9:50 p.m.

John C. told me there mountain bike stories have been getting a lot of traction. His bosses have been particularly impressed by the international traffic. Of course a big portion of that has been steered their direction from sites like ours.

So duder basically told you that he's getting props from his bosses for telling selected truths and putting negative spin on the MTB community.

I can only hope that you tried to stick up for the MTB community in some way, Cam.

March 3, 2015, 9:50 p.m.

The Watchmen idea is a good one but for some reason the Province sees the world through poo coloured glasses. I'm speaking as someone who follows the Canucks and sees how the province treats them. They make a living by stirring the pot and I'm sure that the editor was thinking just that when they published that picture. Perhaps moving forward we as a community should stick to the MTB media and stay out of the local newspapers.

March 3, 2015, 11:10 p.m.

thanks cam and mark for sorting this out gracefully

March 4, 2015, 8:20 a.m.

So duder basically told you that he's getting props from his bosses for telling selected truths and putting negative spin on the MTB community.

I can only hope that you tried to stick up for the MTB community in some way, Cam.

John is actually a mountain biker. Not some wannabe either. He rides the Shore regularly.

March 4, 2015, 9:20 a.m.

how about Trailkeepers?
hopefully associated with Peacekeepers or Stream Keepers in the public's mind

I like this as well. It speaks of stewardship and protection.

March 4, 2015, 9:54 a.m.

theres ones of those letters to the editor in that section of the province today. Didnt seem good and it was by a lynn craver if rememeber right. I take it thats someone associated with monica craver? or is it carver

March 4, 2015, 10:53 a.m.

John is actually a mountain biker. Not some wannabe either. He rides the Shore regularly.

I think that might have just made my opinion of his articles on recent events worse.

March 4, 2015, 12:22 p.m.

John C. told me their mountain bike stories have been getting a lot of traction. His bosses have been particularly impressed by the international traffic. Of course a big portion of that has been steered their direction from sites like ours.

The news is just another a business. They are selling a story. I'm not saying its "bad" (most of us gotta make a living somehow) - but the goal is to attract attention and eyeballs. Everything else, including facts, is often secondary.

March 4, 2015, 12:26 p.m.

Oh well, just ignore them.

Will all respect Spinner:

I have to disagree with your "solution".

Ignoring an issue by closing our eyes is no way forward. And hopefully it is not our NSMBA's solution either!

LINK TO PROVINCE

Who here went to the Board of Directors meeting to share their thoughts? Only one of us: me.

My main point to them, and there were many, was this:

The image in the paper did all the damage in a mili-second as people will look at the picture, create a meaning of the photo in their mind, and then (if we are lucky) read the article. Even IF they read the article, first impressions still last. (I have a background in user experience and cognitive psychology FYI).

The editorial in the link above cannot be cast off as a pundit. This is a person that is motivated to share their thoughts precipitated by a horrible example of photography among other things. How this "scene" even arrived as a photo op is alarming not only to them, but to me, and many others I have spoken with this morning- members of the NSMBA.

I exclaimed to the BOD of our trail association that this picture does not represent "Trails for All, Trails Forever."

To the builders that stand on their mineral dirt pulpit and exclaim just because I (and other riders) have never picked up a shovel and we have no "RIGHT" to criticize… hmmm… maybe the perceived pundit is not so off the mark?

We cannot simply close our eyes. This situation has affected opponents to mountain bikers, proponents for mountain bikers, general community feel, land owner optics, and likely Sponsors and Donor optics of the NSMBA.

Close our eyes? Absolutely not. If this were a business and some one released a photo like that damaging the goodwill of a Brand that has been built up over a period of years by so many dedicated people ahead of them… someone would be fired.

This was a complete miscalculated step causing now, if we are unlucky, a public relations cascade for our trail association. I see the risk clearly. Many I speak to with this morning also see the risk clearly. I only hope the NSMBA Board also realizes the importance of their next steps on this topic.

I support the NSMBA, I support their message "Trails for All, Trails Forever", I am a small time donor… but that does not mean I have to agree with this- that photo does not represent the NSMBA I choose to support.

I also thank the Board for allowing me to share my thoughts last night with them.

Talk less, Say More.

March 4, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

I wonder what the sponsors of the TAP program think of this?

Everyone in that video is very well meaning, and some of them contribute immensely to our sport. It's just a shame that the branding of the NSMBA has now been tarnished a little - and "guilty by association" everyone that rides the North Shore.

March 4, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

National Post has picked up the story, complete with clickbait headline.

After high-profile case of trail booby traps, new group of Watchmen patrol Vancouver’s North Shore