The Watchmen

March 2, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

My god that's bad. I feel a bit embarrassed for them to be honest.

Just for the record I think everyone at the NSMBA is amazing but this is high octane fuel to the MTB fire.

I just see a bunch of guys and girls mugging it up a bit for the camera and having a bit of fun on a group ride. You don't really think they are trying to present themselves as a tough guy militia or something, do you?

March 2, 2015, 9:10 p.m.

I dunno it's a bit grumpy and reactionary (considering recent events) don't you think?

You know what people are like. Trail forks means little to the a average hiker/dog walker so really all they're getting from this is a presence in the woods that'll be watching them on their trails.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 2, 2015, 9:31 p.m.

This is about reporting trail conditions so they can be acted on. It's not first aid, bikini bike washes, free chain lube or directions. Please don't picture a volunteer ski patrol.

And yes, we (you included) are all ambassadors.

Tell me more about these bikini bike washes.

….and do we really need fancy black t shirts with an intimidating logo and name,just to report trail conditions and mtce issues?

FWIW…this is who youre aligning with by using that name…

http://www.watchmenofamerica.com/

"Son of man, speak to your countrymen and say to them: 'When I bring the sword against a land, and the people of the land choose one of their men and make him their watchman, and he sees the sword coming against the land and blows the trumpet to warn the people, then if anyone hears the trumpet but does not take warning and the sword comes and takes his life, his blood will be on his own head."

Pastor of Muppets

March 2, 2015, 10:21 p.m.

mark, this is clearly a great program. but:
as a relative outsider with no particular emotional investment in the overplayed (from all sides) "war in the woods" fiasco, the "watchmen" will inevitably be received in a negative light by some non-riders. the timing, photos, name, and logo may be interpreted as aggressive and inflammatory. initially i thought it was a joke, then i literally face-palmed when i realized it wasn't. it looks bad. sounds like that wasn't intentional, but the negative feedback in this thread is only meant to point that out, its nothing personal against the program or nsmba.

March 2, 2015, 11:05 p.m.

as a relative outsider with no particular emotional investment in the overplayed (from all sides) "war in the woods" fiasco, the "watchmen" will inevitably be received in a negative light by some non-riders. the timing, photos, name, and logo may be interpreted as aggressive and inflammatory. initially i thought it was a joke, then i literally face-palmed when i realized it wasn't. it looks bad. sounds like that wasn't intentional, but the negative feedback in this thread is only meant to point that out, its nothing personal against the program or nsmba.

Quoted again for the absolute truth of it and crux of this discussion. Thanks Clark.

Jon-boy.

March 2, 2015, 11:28 p.m.

And quoted a third time . What Clark said is an eloquent version of what I had in my mind

March 3, 2015, 7:56 a.m.

I also agree with Clark.

March 3, 2015, 8:24 a.m.

We'll look back at all this in ten years rollin' down the trails on our 28.3 wheeled e-mtbs and laugh. :r:

March 3, 2015, 8:55 a.m.

I agree with Clark and wrote to the NSMBA about it on their website, and gbv you should pick some lottery numbers with foresight like that.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 3, 2015, 9:27 a.m.

Much has been said about the perception of the NSMBA and mountain bikers in the media etc. I suggested in the NSMBA survey that the NSMBA might want to consider hiring a PR person and someone who can work more proactively, with the land managers for example, and on the bigger picture regarding the trail network on the North Shore.

Greater transparency is needed in the plans for the trails. Rather then a new trail popping up here and there, uncertainty on which trails are going to be golden ribboned etc.

post your comments on the NSMBA survey
http://nsmba.ca/content/2015-02_participate-membership-survey-win-race-face-turbine-cinch-crank

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

March 3, 2015, 9:39 a.m.

….and do we really need fancy black t shirts with an intimidating logo and name,just to report trail conditions and mtce issues?

Exactly what I was going to say.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it be better to have some sort of signage asking people to report trail issues via some sort of number they can text? Is that possible? Kinda like those signs for reporting forest fires (Call *12345). I have no idea about the logistics or costs of implementing this, just a thought.

Or along the same lines of The Watchmen, having a couple of paid riders go out inspect trails on a regular basis, not under the guise of a group wearing uniforms.

March 3, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

FWIW…this is who youre aligning with by using that name…

http://www.watchmenofamerica.com/

There are many organizations who use this moniker.

http://coastalguardianwatchmen.ca/haida-gwaii-watchmen-program

March 3, 2015, 10:04 a.m.

There are many organizations who use this moniker.

http://coastalguardianwatchmen.ca/haida-gwaii-watchmen-program

Did you know about the Haida version before you googled it? I certainly didn't.

What comes to mind is certainly more ominous for many people within our ranks when we hear Watchmen. Do we want a name that can in any way be associated with shadowy, racist and sinister organizations?

Why not avoid that association altogether and present a more accurate and welcoming image of mountain bikers? This is hardly rocket science.

March 3, 2015, 10:19 a.m.

Well, I would echo much that has been said about the specific visuals.

But as to having t-shirts printed (or sending a membership card, or having a celebration for your TAP sponsors, etc.), I think that it's a smart and inexpensive way to maintain your volunteer base. If I was a Watchmen, I would wear my shirt with pride. When I was on the NSMBA board, I was shocked by the number of letters/emails we would receive from folks so happy to get a genuine paper membership card and a letter from us (often accompanied by a cheque!).

Small gestures make a difference with vollies…

March 3, 2015, 10:44 a.m.

I'm one of the biggest admirers of the work the NSMBA has performed over the years, but what were they thinking with this sign? Looks too similar to a sign used by a certain German political party from the early 1930's to 1945.