The Watchmen

March 2, 2015, 12:38 p.m.

Can't we just stick together for a common goal of the best trails around?!

I've been an acting "watchman" for 14 years now, keeping an eye on this bb looking out for reports of blowdown trees and heading out with a heavy pack to clear them before a go around trail is wacked in by riders and hikers or someone piles into it and hurts themselves. I never know if the dead trees been dealt with or are still being trampled around in the woods. This is an awesome initiative, greatly increasing eyes and ears on the ground, and simplifying the reporting of issues.

All are welcome if they engage themselves - there's a fairly senior female hiker/trail runner involved, she's the most stoked person about volunteer trail work I've ever met. Realize it was also a volunteer who designed the logos- were you stepping up to do better?

It'll be a benefit for all users. I fully support and appreciate the volunteers who believe in action over bitchin.

March 2, 2015, 12:47 p.m.

When I first heard about this watchmen thing this morning, i immediately thought it was about the recent problems being had.

My initial thought too.

Cam makes a valid point, and IMO critics of mountain bikers will use the "name" in a negative fashion.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 2, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

Doesn't sticking together need to be a two-way street Sven? I don't believe that concept implies blind faith or subservience.

And nobody is arguing about the value or motivation for this initiative. Those are red herrings in this conversation - as is the fact that a volunteer created the logo.

There have been several great name suggestions that have more positive connotations that have been 'volunteered' as well. People have strong opinions about this - people who are vocal and supportive members of the nsmba. Should those opinions be ignored?

March 2, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

Hey Drew - Looks like you've got a secret admirer!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Video+North+Shore+Watchmen+take+hills+protect+mountain+bike+trails/10852620/story.html

Yeah … way to feed the trolls dude :). Its a worse idea than feeding a flock of seagulls.

Just me, but for those who are unfamiliar, I think has too much of a paramilitary/vigilante/we-wear-combat-boots-Hoo-yah sound to it.

[EDIT] You can do things with fairness and the best of intentions, unfortunately people will tend to judge by perception and not the informed facts.

March 2, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

Should those opinions be ignored?

absolutely not.

http://nsmba.ca/content/2015-02_participate-membership-survey-win-race-face-turbine-cinch-crank

March 2, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

I've been an acting "watchman" for 14 years now, keeping an eye on this bb looking out for reports of blowdown trees and heading out with a heavy pack to clear them before a go around trail is wacked in by riders and hikers or someone piles into it and hurts themselves. I never know if the dead trees been dealt with or are still being trampled around in the woods. This is an awesome initiative, greatly increasing eyes and ears on the ground, and simplifying the reporting of issues.

All are welcome if they engage themselves - there's a fairly senior female hiker/trail runner involved, she's the most stoked person about volunteer trail work I've ever met. Realize it was also a volunteer who designed the logos- were you stepping up to do better?

It'll be a benefit for all users. I fully support and appreciate the volunteers who believe in action over bitchin.

On a tangent….this thread did cause me to learn what a Watchman Device was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_atrial_appendage_occlusion

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 2, 2015, 2:40 p.m.

Hasn't the NSMBA been talking about the watchmen program (with that name) since at least mid 2012? Wouldn't the two AGM's between now and then been a good chance for those concerned with the name bring those concerns to the board?

Great to see it finally in-place.

March 2, 2015, 2:43 p.m.

PS - I love it, just not the name. Perhaps a forum post asking for name submissions would have been inclusive and creative.

Yep. If there is no war in the woods, why do we need armies?

March 2, 2015, 2:47 p.m.

Monica Craver comparing NSMB and the Watchmen to the Hells Angels selling tupperware is bordering on libel. The thing that is an issue, is that she is engaging in a structured and widespread campaign of defamation against the newly formed Watchmen, with them barely even beginning their program. She has published her poisonous, and misleading zealotry in multiple papers all the way across the country to Ottawa now.

At some point, this goes beyond trolling, and becomes a matter of defamation, and a legal wrong, as she appears to be spreading false information solely for the purpose of damaging the reputation of individuals and an organization.
-Comparing NSMB or the Watchmen to a criminal organization.
- Citing that NSMB has used intimidation, threats and bullying to dominate democratic processes

These two assertions proceed with no evidence, and are made solely for the purpose of damaging the reputation of MTB groups and volunteer trail-builders/maintainers. In fact, I would suggest that review of public documents (ie. Council minutes) would show that NSMB and other affiliated groups have been directly engaged in positive community action, and show model citizenry through their volunteerism and advocacy for civic behaviour. If the statements are indeed false, she seems to be wandering into an area of legal jeopardy.

Maybe pursuing such a case would raise tensions, and I know some oppose that. However, shutting down her stream of toxic and misleading defamation may do a lot of good in enabling a more positive civic forum. I'm sure LeeLau would have something to say about this. I'd be interested in his perspective, even if it totally runs counter to my own. :)

March 2, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

Have you rode Squamish lately, i think we are a little behind. Just Sayin!!!

March 2, 2015, 3:04 p.m.

I understand the intent and it is benign and positive, but the way it has been presented to the public is anything but. That photo makes you look like a bunch of vigilantes out to protect your own interests and given the image that we want to portray to the public right now that photo in the Province is such a huge miss. Unwelcoming and intimidating is more like it.

This isn't bitching about the program itself and nothing but appreciation for those who have volunteered. The presentation is a complete miss in my opinion.

Jon-boy.

March 2, 2015, 3:26 p.m.

Great idea, although maybe not so great timing.

I like the name. And I actually find the stare-down, arms crossed pose in the photo pretty funny (look closely and I'm pretty sure the people in the back are actually smiling). Too bad so many people have such a shit sense of humour. Next time put the ladies out front and shave the goatees I guess.

edit: I am not suggesting that any of the ladies have goatees!

March 2, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

Hasn't the NSMBA been talking about the watchmen program (with that name) since at least mid 2012? Wouldn't the two AGM's between now and then been a good chance for those concerned with the name bring those concerns to the board?

This.

March 2, 2015, 4:19 p.m.

i've been at the last two agm's and don't recall any specific mention of the program or the name watchmen. i do recall mention of the "shore corps" and have to admit i found the name and logo a bit odd and felt that something else that projected a less militaristic image would have been a better choice.

we all know how off the wall monica craver is with her comments, but for those that don't and aren't aware of how the mtb community here fucntions her comments may easily sway public opinion.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 2, 2015, 4:41 p.m.

Yes.
It was presented in 2012. It is good to see it implemented. I remember volunteering for it initially but didn't receive further instruction on it after that point.

The picture on the front page this morning isn't really on point as far as image. But I'm not really expecting anything better to come out of John Colebourn and The Province.