The Upside of BC Forest Fires - Globe n Mail

Aug. 13, 2009, 6:25 p.m.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/fire-riders/article1249861/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 13, 2009, 7:37 p.m.

so they want us to start more forest fires?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 13, 2009, 7:55 p.m.

It sounds more like their taking some of the positives out of some of tragic events that have happened in the forest over the years.

Aug. 13, 2009, 8:32 p.m.

It sounds more like their taking some of the positives out of some of tragic events that have happened in the forest over the years.

People losing their houses is tragic, forest fires themselves are not. The fires burn out all the old crap that accumulates in the forests and clears it out for new growth. Fires are a good thing.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

Aug. 13, 2009, 8:37 p.m.

I have similar sentiments towards clearcuts as those who were interviewed about riding through burns, but clearcuts are less PC I guess.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 13, 2009, 10:14 p.m.

I have similar sentiments towards clearcuts as those who were interviewed about riding through burns, but clearcuts are less PC I guess.

clear cuts don't occur naturally either

Aug. 13, 2009, 10:23 p.m.

At least half the fires occured naturally this year.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 13, 2009, 10:30 p.m.

On my pulp and paper technology course they said that the average age of old growth forest in BC is now about 250 years. One thousand years ago it was about 125 years due to natures natural fire cycle which we do everything to stop. That's right the forests on average are older now then before we started logging here. Food for thought.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Aug. 13, 2009, 11:59 p.m.

what happens when clearcuts burn? is that natural, or unnatural?

Aug. 14, 2009, 12:39 a.m.

On my pulp and paper technology course they said that the average age of old growth forest in BC is now about 250 years. One thousand years ago it was about 125 years due to natures natural fire cycle which we do everything to stop. That's right the forests on average are older now then before we started logging here. Food for thought.

And no possibility for bias there eh ;)

iforonewelcome.com

Aug. 14, 2009, 7:36 a.m.

what happens when clearcuts burn? is that natural, or unnatural?

Depends on the cause of the fire.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 14, 2009, 7:39 a.m.

You missing half the equation here though. Clearcuts do allow for new growth but one of the really big benifits of forest fires is the amount of nutrients that they release back into the soil. Clear cuts removes the material that should replentish the soil in a natural cycle.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Aug. 14, 2009, 8:59 a.m.

Trails in burn zones make for pretty pictures.

Aug. 14, 2009, 10:46 a.m.

You missing half the equation here though. Clearcuts do allow for new growth but one of the really big benifits of forest fires is the amount of nutrients that they release back into the soil. Clear cuts removes the material that should replentish the soil in a natural cycle.

The article isnt talking about the ecological benefits of fire, they are talking about the aesthetics and enjoyment of riding through a new forest with open views.

[thread derail] if the trees are processed at the stump, and not at the roadside, most of the nutrients are left, as there is very little in terms of nutrients in the stem of a tree, its mostly in the needles. [/thread derail]

Aug. 14, 2009, 11:49 a.m.

well, there may not be many nutrients in the stem, but there is a lot of carbon which drives the cycling in fungal and soil biota which is all part of a healthy forest.

www.travelswithtyler.com