The Sponsors

Jan. 25, 2016, 3:23 p.m.

I bet the guy in question doesn't even remember the moment because who cares …. they did their run

Yeah, why would they give a F^^[HTML_REMOVED]ck about anyone else as long as they did their run?

This entitled attitude pretty much sums up the whole issue. squagles, do you really think you are the only one on the trails who matters? I'm sure happy nobody I ride with has an attitude like that. I actually feel kind of sorry for you.

Jan. 25, 2016, 3:51 p.m.

Yeah, why would they give a F^^[HTML_REMOVED]ck about anyone else as long as they did their run?

This entitled attitude pretty much sums up the whole issue. squagles, do you really think you are the only one on the trails who matters? I'm sure happy nobody I ride with has an attitude like that. I actually feel kind of sorry for you.

Matters more than the guy standing in the middle of the trail!

Jan. 25, 2016, 4:10 p.m.

Are you still on about this?

Jan. 25, 2016, 5:46 p.m.

All I wanted is a Pepsi , but she wouldn't bring it to me.

Jan. 25, 2016, 6:12 p.m.

Can we just merge the threads now?

Easier to throw them in the trash that way.

Jan. 25, 2016, 6:25 p.m.

Have any of you ever spent a lot of time working on a trail? Of course you have. One of the things that shocked me about trail work was how riders interacted with me depending on where I was on the trail. At the top they would often say hello, offer thanks or at the very least smile. Sometimes they'd even stop. At the bottom they would inevitably race by without noticing me, even when I was standing in their field of view.

As it turns out we can get a little stoned on adrenaline. All of us. And I imagine that the faster you are riding, and the closer you are to the edge, the more stoned you become. And isn't this one of the best things about riding? All the things that piss you off and worry you about your commute, your job, your spouse, all those stupid little things that take you out of the moment for most of our waking hours, they fall away and we are absorbed and transported. Unfortunately his state of flow we seek can cause problems.

There have been times when I've been riding in a group when I've done something similar to what these 'pros' are accused of. Actually it was probably worse on one occasion. I felt sheepish afterwards and a rider yelled at us disdainfully (skooks?) but by then we were gone. I wish I had acted differently but I was part of the train and I was unable to get off. I'm not trying to justify anyone's actions, but I don't find it very difficult to understand how it happened. And I'm certainly not willing to join the dogpile condemning the actions of riders who were on a trail, riding hard and locked in.

They may be pros but they are humans like the rest of us. And if they are assholes I'm an asshole as well. It would be great to be perfect like some of you, and to never act in a way that causes others to judge, but that'll never be me.

weareallproendurobros Some of us are just a little slower.

Jan. 25, 2016, 6:47 p.m.

They may be pros but they are humans like the rest of us. And if they are assholes I'm an asshole as well. It would be great to be perfect like some of you, and to never act in a way that causes others to judge, but that'll never be me.

i don't think people are trying to say they're perfect Cam, just promoting the message of having some consideration for other trail users - on both sides of the equation.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 25, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

Have any of you ever spent a lot of time working on a trail? Of course you have. One of the things that shocked me about trail work was how riders interacted with me depending on where I was on the trail. At the top they would often say hello, offer thanks or at the very least smile. Sometimes they'd even stop. At the bottom they would inevitably race by without noticing me, even when I was standing in their field of view.

As it turns out we can get a little stoned on adrenaline. All of us. And I imagine that the faster you are riding, and the closer you are to the edge, the more stoned you become. And isn't this one of the best things about riding? All the things that piss you off and worry you about your commute, your job, your spouse, all those stupid little things that take you out of the moment for most of our waking hours, they fall away and we are absorbed and transported. Unfortunately his state of flow we seek can cause problems.

There have been times when I've been riding in a group when I've done something similar to what these 'pros' are accused of. Actually it was probably worse on one occasion. I felt sheepish afterwards and a rider yelled at us disdainfully (skooks?) but by then we were gone. I wish I had acted differently but I was part of the train and I was unable to get off. I'm not trying to justify anyone's actions, but I don't find it very difficult to understand how it happened. And I'm certainly not willing to join the dogpile condemning the actions of riders who were on a trail, riding hard and locked in.

Perfect post.

Jan. 25, 2016, 8:35 p.m.

I still want to know who sponsors them.

C'mon Skooks, give it up!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 25, 2016, 9:43 p.m.

This is fuckin crazy. let me get this whole ting right.

Some guy is hanging out on a trail, ON a trail near a junction. HE hears some guy screamin down the trail who then rips by him and bruises his ego. He then realizes theres a whole train of rippers who also proceed to rip by leavin dust…or maybe it was a fine misty spray this time of year…And then said bystander gets so upset at this act of people riding bikes on trails and not stopping for tea that he posts a one-sided rant about the above…how they disrespected him and his buddies by not slowing down….

and I'm thinking this - IF I'm the enduro-pro rider ripping down the trail, and this lazy ass dude n his buddies hear me coming but cant take a couple steps to the side so i can keep my flow - well thats dis-respecting me…ah hell - I got room im good to pin it past these pilons…

2 sides to every story…only one of them decided to whine about it online - and the fact that you dropped you fuckin bike in front of the crew after the lead rider really shows who's doing the disrespecting. This aint your morning commute on the seawall. Next time I hope you get out of the way.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Jan. 26, 2016, 2:25 a.m.

The recent thread titled "No Respect" described an incident involving a sponsored rider.

Yet I failed to see mention in this discussion of the one group of people who could probably wield a great deal of influence with this issue - the sponsors.

Who know who you are, and I have a couple questions for you.

Do you have a code of ethics for riders riding/wearing your product?

Do you regularly (ever?) talk to your riders about your expectations of their behaviour in public whilst sporting your gear?

Ever sanctioned a rider you've sponsored?

you're a f***ing tool. Quit riding bikes take up roller blading.

Jan. 26, 2016, 6:26 a.m.

you're a f***ing tool. Quit riding bikes take up roller blading.

personally i think you are the tool.

dude made a reasonable point.

why should people slow down at all? , life is a full redbull moment. i know cuz I'm all "stoned" on adrenaline…

effing rediculous.

Jan. 26, 2016, 6:29 a.m.

i recall a "role model" pro in our sport.. and i really miss his example. nice guy, nice smile pleasant to be around. get him on the bike in a competition and it was game on..who was that dude again?

just don't get sour cream in his salsa really pisses him off.

personally thats the kind of person I would sponsor. somebody good for the community. this bad boy thing is bullshit.

Jan. 26, 2016, 10:01 a.m.

Oh, look a 5 page Internet shame mob.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 26, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

7. Pass With Courtesy and Care: Slow down when approaching other trail users and respectfully make others aware you are approaching. Pass with care and be prepared to stop if necessary.

http://www.imbacanada.com/print/responsible-riding-tips

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.