The Province - Cypress could be the best trail riding in the world

June 9, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

The Province has very balanced article on Cypress, covering the past, present and future potential. I have to agree that the possibilities for mountain biking are absolutely enormous.

This most interesting bit is the potential as seen by BPP.

BPP is well aware of the popularity of mountain biking these days, and does not rule out the company looking at the possibility of one day building a gondola to whisk bikers and hikers and tourists up the mountainside.

This could change the face of mountain biking of Cypress completely, with both pros and cons. Although a commercial bike park operation could impact night riding, I'm excited about the possibility of mtn biking bring jobs and economic activity to West Van.

So what do you think? What are your top pros and cons? Bonus rep points for posts that include both.

June 9, 2015, 3:16 p.m.

Didn't they try a bike park many years ago?

It seems like such an obvious (to my limited mind) thing to do what with all the Vancouverites making the trek right passed Cypress on their way to Whistler.

June 9, 2015, 3:52 p.m.

^yeah, they had bike trays on the eagle express chair, and a handful of trails on that side of the mountain. i had a seasons pass (they were cheap). limited terain, but fun for some quick laps. seems like a no-brainer, yes.

June 9, 2015, 4:15 p.m.

Yup. Boyne Resorts is up top on Cypress where the snow can last until June. They tried a bike park pre-Olympics and gave up on it. As of last week they have no interest in re-opening the park.

Cypress Village will be completely different. It will be located around the first switchback and benefit from a much longer season, better coffee shops and a pub with an awesome view. :beer:

There's the possibility of a lift from the first switchback to the knoll above the 3rd switchback, slightly more elevation than the Fitzsimmons chair. No need to shuttle!

June 9, 2015, 5:12 p.m.

Didn't they try a bike park many years ago?

It seems like such an obvious (to my limited mind) thing to do what with all the Vancouverites making the trek right passed Cypress on their way to Whistler.

Cypress bike park was actually the first park I ever rode, back in 2005. I went up once for a day, a few weeks before I hit Whistler for the first time. It was pretty cool, had a lot of potential. I was disappointed that they dropped it after the one season.

Years later I rode the actual trails on the mountain…jeeeeeesus, I don't know what my friend took me down, but I was no slouch at the time and that mountain handed my ass to me.

June 10, 2015, 10:51 a.m.

Yup. Boyne Resorts is up top on Cypress where the snow can last until June. They tried a bike park pre-Olympics and gave up on it. As of last week they have no interest in re-opening the park.

Cypress Village will be completely different. It will be located around the first switchback and benefit from a much longer season, better coffee shops and a pub with an awesome view. :beer:

There's the possibility of a lift from the first switchback to the knoll above the 3rd switchback, slightly more elevation than the Fitzsimmons chair. No need to shuttle!

I can definitely say myself and my riding crew would be regulars if this vision were built out. Gondola with a solid trail network (i.e. variety from intermediate to expert with a mix of jump/flow/stunts and steep tech) plus a place to get good coffee in the morning, food and beers on the patio after? 30-40 minutes from my home in east Van? Sold.

Right now our regular pattern is a mix of Fromme/Seymour 1 or 2 weeknights and weekend day trips to Squamish/Whistler… I think the Squamish/Whistler would be cut down a lot if Cypress was built out in this manner.

June 10, 2015, 1:47 p.m.

I don't really ride the Whistler park much at all anymore, but I can say I would definitely check out a park on Cypress if it existed. If it were good terrain, I'd definitely consider a pass. Shuttling sucks so I'd welcome a lift on the days I'm feeling too lazy to pedal up things.