the hardest part of riding

Sept. 12, 2006, 3:04 p.m.

80% mental

20% physical

I have seen a 67 yr old grampa who could barely pedal uphill only stop 4 times down clownshoes and didn't have a problem with the skinnies.

On the same ride, his grandson who is only 13 was falling off all the skinnies and flailing everywhere.

Grampa = physically out of shape, barely breaths out of one lung.

Grandson = physically tip top shape. Runs 5km every night with dad and swims/rides every second day.

Constantly, just like other sports (surfing, motox, skateboarding).. the mental aspect is always there.

Practice and dex. skills is in your head based on experience.

That is mental. Not physical.

When your brain knows what to do, your body follows.

80 % mental

20 % physical

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Sept. 12, 2006, 4:22 p.m.

Stage 1:

100% Mental. If you have doubts about whether or not you can clean a climb, manouver down a skinny, or land a drop, then you aren't going to make it. Once you overcome a section mentally move to stage 2.

Stage 2:

The physical. Just because your mind is certain you can accomplish it doesn't mean your body can. Even if you are 100% confident you can land a backflip, without strength and timing you are headed to emergency.

I would also lump equipment in with the physical. Even if you are certain you can ride something your equipment may simply not be up to the task.

For anything I'm willing to attempt… it's 100% mental. I have never hurt myself on something I was 100% sure I could ride, because my physical abilities and equipment are WAY better then my mental confidence (not saying much… but whatever)

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 12, 2006, 8:08 p.m.

Mental….because the mind is a powerful thing. Even if something is not physically tough, if my mind is not there, I'm not gonna make it.

I have no filter …

Sept. 12, 2006, 11:38 p.m.

Imagine how many stunts one could clear/attempt if there was a way to guarentee that the person would NOT get hurt in case of a fall.

I don't mean to put down the guys on Crankworx pulling off the things on the final drop but imagine how many more guys could do the same stuff if the landing was in a swimming pool.

Just my 2 cents.

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

Sept. 13, 2006, 7:34 a.m.

I think it is mental, for sure. Even for the big guns.

Sometimes our physical state can affect our mental state…

I've heard mountaineers say that climbing a peak like Everest is 50% physical and 90% mental… I think riding is very simlar in it's balance.

DB

Think maybe they were breathing in too much light air when they came up with that?

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Sept. 13, 2006, 7:36 a.m.

Will say this…for freeride, the mental aspect is huge. But with DH/freeride, and certainly other sports, the fitter my body is, the sharper my focus is. So, they go hand-in-hand.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Sept. 13, 2006, 7:41 a.m.

Mental - because it is always your mind that tells you to stop. Your body can make suggestions but it is your mind that makes it happen.

Of course you can push yourself to exhaustion and then fall over no matter what your mind is saying but your mind still pushed you that far.

Click Me

Sept. 13, 2006, 8:18 a.m.

Mainly mental but I think the split is like the poll results right now 90%mental 10%physical.
A strong mind can help you push though the longest climbs, the urge to go to the granny, and the calmness required to dial a 4" wide skinny 7 feet up. The physical has to be there first though. A lot of people can ride on the yellow line on a road, the ability to ride it 1 or 25 feet up in the air is the mental difference.