The first e-bikes of the season riding up Mountain Highway

July 12, 2017, 4:13 p.m.

Glad that there is still a predominantly negative view of ebikes in B.C. I don't like calling them bikes but the term seems to have stuck. This needs to continue and I'm very glad to see WORCA standing up on this issue. NSMBA must be do the same. Non-motorized trails = NO EBIKES. They can go use moto trials access and fire roads.

Rocky Mountain had some promo video of Wade Simmons on one that got pulled down from Pinkbike. They also had a marketing article about their ebike launch that was not displayed on PB to users in Canada. Hilarious.

July 15, 2017, 1:51 p.m.

Drank the Kool-Aid and love it. The pedal assist is helpful but still makes me earn my elevation.

July 16, 2017, 9:41 a.m.

There's a new Turbo Lev on mtbr that has a claimed 15% more power than the previous model. 

I see where this is going

July 16, 2017, 9:56 a.m.

Where does the line exist between an e-bike and something like the KTM e-dirt bikes? At what point do the two become one in the same? Mtn biking has an image complex, look no further than DH being styled off MX right up to GTs moto esque DH proto bike in the mid to late 90s. 

Shuttle trails have at er. But please stay off the trails that are only accessible via human power.

July 16, 2017, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

There's a new Turbo Lev on mtbr that has a claimed 15% more power than the previous model. 

Yup.. that and modifications. They're motorbikes.

July 16, 2017, 11:22 p.m.

e-bikes are a conspiracy between big drivetrain and large bike companies to generate extreme hatred for any type of extra business around the bottom bracket area of a mtn bike.  Thus, delivering a deathblow to the gearboxes once and for all. 

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/bike/v-boxx/V-BOXX-GB10-VB-FR9-BAZ-5477.html

July 17, 2017, 6:59 a.m.

Posted by: dutch

there's already companies making products to de-restrict current ebikes. ie, plug in a dongle, and the levo's top assisted speed goes from 25km/h to 50.

https://www.ebiketuning.com/sx2-dongle-for-brose-specialized-turbo-levo.html

it's a slippery slope, and policing these things would be extremely difficult.

Last edited by: xy9ine on July 17, 2017, 7 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 17, 2017, 10:01 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

Posted by: dutch

there's already companies making products to de-restrict current ebikes. ie, plug in a dongle, and the levo's top assisted speed goes from 25km/h to 50.

https://www.ebiketuning.com/sx2-dongle-for-brose-specialized-turbo-levo.html

it's a slippery slope, and policing these things would be extremely difficult.

This has always been my argument to the "it's just a little pedal assist it's not a dirt bike!" crowd. Where will it stop? Enforcement is impossible in most areas and this will just cause land manager issues. The only logical stance is 100% refusal of these things on non-motorized trails and not allowing them to be socially acceptable in B.C.

July 17, 2017, 3:21 p.m.

Yes these monstrosities need to be kept out of the woods of the Shore.

The line in the sand has to be if the bike has a motor or not. It cannot be anything else.

July 19, 2017, 9:44 a.m.

Bdean - I agree. But this has to be done at a land manager level before it's too late. Interesting article by Andrew Major on this today.

The only other thing available is to loudly 'boo' any e-bike rider you see on the trails? There is no official backing yet so no leverage. I was able to get two kids on dirt bikes to turn around on Fromme after the second gate because I knew I had the backing of DNV. E-Bikes need to some under this as well.

July 19, 2017, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I defintely wouldn't want to see ascent trails like No Quarter or Penny Lane / GSM become e-shuttle routes.

But that's likely what will happen. As a noob if you option is to spends year upon year building the fitness to nail those climbs (do you know anyone who's cleaned No Quarter in one shot?) or grab a pedelec and you maybe nail it by the end of the season.

July 19, 2017, 10:03 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

I'm not a fan. If someone's fitness level isn't high enough or they are too lazy to put the effort in. It will only make their decending shit too. I think they won't catch on here. I have only seen a couple in the last year or so. The last time the guy was coming down crinkum and he was far outside his comfort zone. He probably never came back.

Let's remember that "the guy was coming down crinkum and he was far outside his comfort zone" describes most (all?) of us after our first ride on the shore. And our second. And third...

July 20, 2017, 12:07 p.m.

Sure, but I cant wait to see what happens to the trails after those who were weeded out because they didn't want to climb the extremely gentle Mountain Highway, or even better, couldn't make it past Bobsled, are given motors to take them up to 7th!

The Shore will look like WBP!

July 22, 2017, 12:46 a.m.

Where does the line exist between an e-bike and something like the KTM e-dirt bikes? At what point do the two become one in the same?

how about you need to pedal to get the motor to assist you instead of cranking up the throttle? like the law says? at least around here the law is like that...

a person working for an e-mtb only company.

Last edited by: Sethimus on July 22, 2017, 12:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 22, 2017, 9:39 a.m.

In BC that law that restricts power to ebikes or to pedal assist only applies on the road. So if riders drive to a trail head there are no restrictions. Riding up Seymour of course there is. I don't think there is a law about throttle equipped ebikes. You see those street scooters with pedals and often the cranks are removed after purchase.  Those cranks and pedals are solely to get by the laws so that the scooters don't need insurance or a license to operate.