The Essence of Life

Jan. 21, 2003, 12:56 a.m.

I remember riding my bike around the neighborhood back in the days, my first Djs, desperately trying to fly.
Fighting Gravity - losing. Getting up again. Winning sometimes.

Then, a XC-bike. After some years of skateboarding, untruthful to myself.
Re-descovering the secret of flow. Flying down singletrails….then, an upgrade. Front suspension.
Riding the unrideable…or so I thought.

Kranked One blew me away - finally the stuff I was looking for.
Ride and Feel free.
The Shore - its gnarly and its nasty. Real riding. What had I done the years before. Scared to death I rode local trails around my neck of the woods that I had considered unrideable for years, or so I thought…
The terrain of the Shore trails was similar to my favorite singletrails, just shorter…damn.

Went to BC three times without riding. Biggest mistake ever.

The entry level full-suss had me grinning a couple of years. Then crash and burn. Upgrading again. A Nicolai with a JrTee.
Sold it…dreamt of a "real" bike built for abuse and fun (what most people consider suicide)…My mom was quite ill, did not have the chance of going out and steam off my fear of her dying, my fear of losing control…but she survived, even if she is weak and won't be out of danger for the rest of her life…sometimes you never know what you can take until you 've been through…

Haven't ridden for a fucking long time and eagerly wait for the bank account to be ready to cough up the cash…

For some, the road to enlightenment is a looong walk, for me, a gnarly singletrail.
Live 2 ride. Sometimes it may take a couple of months of not riding to appreciate the wonder of simple pleasures, of flying, dropping and permanently challenging the own limitations - be it fear or whatever.

Thanx to everyone on this BB for being around during the hardest time of my life - so far. Cause, you never know…

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 21, 2003, 1:04 a.m.

You summed it all up right there. Inspirational.

Jan. 21, 2003, 2:39 p.m.

Well said Mic. I was thinking about passing on a ride this aft but now I think I'll go.

Life's too short.

Jan. 21, 2003, 4:01 p.m.

If life soo short y am i still in gr9??? :flame:

Jan. 23, 2003, 5:05 a.m.

You will notice that as soon as you get a bit older, everything will speed up at a rate that is really annoying, Infamous. Wait. You will get there soon enough.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 23, 2003, 5:14 a.m.

Originally posted by [email protected]
**Well said Mic. I was thinking about passing on a ride this aft but now I think I'll go.

Life's too short. **

i agree
i almost lost what i live to do, im not passing up anymore rides because im lazy or for some dumb excuse ect…
Rain or shine everyday everwhere you will see me riding my bike from now on :)

superheros
I like bikes

Jan. 23, 2003, 5:20 a.m.

I really can't wait for my ride to arrive…..you all make me nervous and hectic.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 23, 2003, 10:20 a.m.

I pretty much wasted two summers, I hardly ever rode. I deeply regret that, especially at my prime age. 18 and 19. Of course, cutting my finger off didn't help any.:mad:

Jan. 23, 2003, 12:51 p.m.

i like riding:) and will ride as much as i can for as long as i can:)

yes I lost it

Jan. 23, 2003, 1:02 p.m.

ya man you just summed it all up right there. this winter its been colder than i ever remember it being, and for once i realised how stupid i was to skip out on rides.. all for a girl :( whether it was hopping a fence with friends to go bomb down a parkade, that latenight urban ride, the trip to the shop to brag about the hit we did, everything.. i missed out on it, and this year i finally see how much it really means to me. i miss mtbing a lot, but now on bmx, its still on 2 wheels, and thats what matter most. never letting up, and just keep on pushing it and being there with friends. bc is my goal to be for the next couple years, i gotta get outa this city and ride all year! this winter has been the last straw for me. riding is so much! even when you try to describe it to people, they'll neve runderstand. its your friend when you feel alone, and it will always be there for ya :D thanks to everyone on here too, ive learned soo much and got a good laugh as well from a lot of stuff :)

T1
mr. sieben!!

Jan. 23, 2003, 1:25 p.m.

Well said Mic.

Sometimes it's just hard to get my bod out the door and on my bike. However, when I do, the feeling when riding is indescribable - but at least everyone here understands :)

I'm not very good, but it doesn't seem to matter - it's all about having fun :D

Jan. 26, 2003, 11:43 p.m.

Originally posted by Lady Gravity

I'm not very good, but it doesn't seem to matter - it's all about having fun :D

Very true, mylady.
The problem I encounter is patience - I have the feeling that I cannot wait any longer…shortage of money still.
But as soon as I should get this :censored: frame, I'll put up some pics.

One thing 2 add : NEVER GIVE UP AND NEVER LOSE HOPE !!! IN THE END IT WILL PROBABLY BE NICE AND COMFY. :D

(Sarcasm feels good sometimes…):mad:

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 27, 2003, 10:48 p.m.

You've just made me decide to ride my bike to work tomorrow. Just for the hell of it!

Jan. 27, 2003, 10:58 p.m.

"Good things come to those who wait."

Jan. 27, 2003, 11:02 p.m.

It's all about doing what is best for the soul!

I was all sorted out to ride Seymour this Sunday, rain gear packed, fender installed, shuttle organised. Then the sun broke out over my place and my 4 yr. old says "Hey Dad, why don't we go to the park to try out our new shovels" ($2 at Toys-r-Us) It was the best Sunday at the park in a long time! The Shore will always be there, my 4 yr. old changes every day.

Don't sweat the petty stuff but it's OK to pet the sweaty stuff.