The end of BIKE mag?

Oct. 7, 2020, 7:09 a.m.

My guess, sadly, is that they won't be coming back.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/goodbye-for-now/

I've been reading BIKE for around 30 years. I first got It when I was just a teen getting into bikes, living in Toronto. I still have my copy of Fear and Loaming (the shore issue). BIKE was the source for incredible photography a stories about the soul of the sport, not just gear shootouts.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Last edited by: craw on Oct. 7, 2020, 7:15 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Oct. 7, 2020, 9:38 a.m.

Yeah. I’ve been reading it since it first came out. Stories about riding and people not just gear and locations. It had soul.

Oct. 7, 2020, 10:19 a.m.

the shore issue was sick. was so stoked to see our burgeoning scene getting worldwide recognition; wish i had kept that one. RIP print media.

Oct. 8, 2020, 2:08 a.m.

I am really sad and it hits me hard. Bike mag has been my regular magazine since the June 96 issue with The Missile when I came across the at that moment unbeknownst to me magazine in Calgary on my way to Vanvouver. I was instantly blown away and I always tried to get an issue when travelling. 

When I could afford a credit card I had an ongoing subscription....the features and images were top notch, and really influenced me as a rider and seeing mountainbiking not only as a hobby but a lifestyle....Europe has been lacking in that department. North America has always been at the forefront. 

And I am still a bit bummed that i did not get the Shore issue. 

I remember the funny looks I got when I suggested a trail day in my area all thode years ago. I remember the looks I got when I told of myself as being a mountainbiker. Most people considered it their sport or hobby - but now something you more or less revolve your life around. 

I think about getting a sub for freehub mag. I really need a soulful mountainbike magazine fix.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 8, 2020, 12:55 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

I am really sad and it hits me hard. Bike mag has been my regular magazine since the June 96 issue with The Missile when I came across the at that moment unbeknownst to me magazine in Calgary on my way to Vanvouver. I was instantly blown away and I always tried to get an issue when travelling. 

When I could afford a credit card I had an ongoing subscription....the features and images were top notch, and really influenced me as a rider and seeing mountainbiking not only as a hobby but a lifestyle....Europe has been lacking in that department. North America has always been at the forefront. 

And I am still a bit bummed that i did not get the Shore issue. 

I remember the funny looks I got when I suggested a trail day in my area all thode years ago. I remember the looks I got when I told of myself as being a mountainbiker. Most people considered it their sport or hobby - but now something you more or less revolve your life around. 

I think about getting a sub for freehub mag. I really need a soulful mountainbike magazine fix.

Freehub is awesome. The guys there are all great dudes and the rag is really good.

Oct. 8, 2020, 4:18 p.m.

I'm still lamenting the loss of the Fat Tyer Flyer

Oct. 11, 2020, 8:18 a.m.

I have nostalgic memories of Bike back in the heyday of print MTB mags, but their content has been weak for a longtime vs. the alternative media options for MTBing these days. Read a NSMB review on a bike and then read a recent Bike review and the contrast is stark. I don't feel like I'm going to miss anything with Bike stopping production.

I do feel bad for the employees, but this eventuality has to be on the minds of any print media staff and hopefully they have enough connections in the bike industry to move onto new jobs they enjoy.