The dreaded "Coming out for a trip" thread. Some questions

July 11, 2013, 11:16 a.m.

First off, thanks for any help you can lend us.

My best bud and I will be heading out for a 9 day trip in mid August. This was planned last minute, as our trip to Idaho fell through. We are from the Southeastern US, but ride all over the place. Each year we take a long trip and primitive camp along the way while freestylin' our plans.

I have some riding questions, but I will keep doing my research before asking the same thing that hundreds others have asked before me.

The main thing that I am concerned about is the camping. We don't need any facilities, as a matter of fact, would prefer the solitude. We camp all of the time and really hate the campground experience. From what I can tell, the pay campgrounds are darn near booked anyway.

In the USA, you can find lots of free camping on Forest Service Roads. Is there something similar up there?

We are flying into Seattle and driving up.

Our tentative plans are:

Olympic Peninsula ride after our flight lands and on the way North.
A day in the Mt Fromme area
Two days around Squamish
Two days around WHistler(maybe a day at the park)

That leaves us a few days to fill. We like really long epic rides in the back country. Don't mind the climb, and like to get nutty on the downhills. I am excited for your TTFs, as those are mostly found in bike parks here. We could never get permission to build something on public land like you guys have. Any suggestions? The more tech, the better, but we will be on All Mountain bikes. Like drops and jumps, but prefer to keep it in the 5' and less realm.

Thanks again my brethren to the North.

July 11, 2013, 11:25 a.m.

In the USA, you can find lots of free camping on Forest Service Roads. Is there something similar up there?

We are flying into Seattle and driving up.

Our tentative plans are:

Olympic Peninsula ride after our flight lands and on the way North.
A day in the Mt Fromme area
Two days around Squamish
Two days around WHistler(maybe a day at the park)

Yes to Forest Rec Sites but what kind of vehicle are you renting? Logging roads in BC are a lot rougher than those in the US. A high clearance vehicle would be a good idea, eg small truck or SUV, the problem is that most rental companies will not let you take rental vehicles on gravel roads.

The FRS close to major population centers tend to be busy and a bit of a gong show as no one is in charge and it is free. Eg. loud music, lots of yelling, drunk people being yahoos

BC Parks camp sites might be a better choice, the would be similar to US state parks, not private camp sites which tend to feel like mall parking lots with a picnic table. I think BC Parks leave some sites that can't be reserved, but you need to arrive early to get the sites as people check out.

The Olympic Penninsula is not on the way North, in fact you are heading South once you land at Sea-Tac airport.

July 11, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

That leaves us a few days to fill. We like really long epic rides in the back country. Don't mind the climb, and like to get nutty on the downhills. I am excited for your TTFs, as those are mostly found in bike parks here. We could never get permission to build something on public land like you guys have. Any suggestions? The more tech, the better, but we will be on All Mountain bikes. Like drops and jumps, but prefer to keep it in the 5' and less realm.

Keep going North and spend a day or two in Pemberton to complete the Sea to Sky experience. Excellent single track climbing (probably some of the best anywhere), descents as nutty and steep as you like, and the option of continuing your climbing all the way up to the high country. From what you describe I think you'll like it.

July 11, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

Yes to Forest Rec Sites but what kind of vehicle are you renting? Logging roads in BC are a lot rougher than those in the US. A high clearance vehicle would be a good idea, eg small truck or SUV, the problem is that most rental companies will not let you take rental vehicles on gravel roads.

We are renting an smallish SUV. I can't say that I have ever seen that clause on our rental agreements. If it was there, it's never stopped us before.:coo: We have used a rental all over Colorado and Utah's back country roads.

Something to keep in mind, though. Thanks

The Olympic Penninsula is not on the way North, in fact you are heading South once you land at Sea-Tac airport.

For some reason I thought there was a ferry that could get us back across. We arrive around noon and just wanted to get to some good riding away from the city. It will take a little time to put the bikes together. I have done some hiking there in the past and thought it would be a quick scenic area to hit.

Do you know of something that we should hit instead?

Thanks again for the quick response.

July 11, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

Keep going North and spend a day or two in Pemberton to complete the Sea to Sky experience. Excellent single track climbing (probably some of the best anywhere), descents as nutty and steep as you like, and the option of continuing your climbing all the way up to the high country. From what you describe I think you'll like it.

I knew that I had forgotten something. I was reading up on that area yesterday, and added it to the list. Honestly, you guys have so much riding, it's overwhelming.

Thanks for the response.

I am incredibly hyped to say the least. I will update this thread with riding plans and more questions as they develop.

If any of you make it toward the Southeast (Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, or Alabama), I am your guy. I have been riding 16 or so years in the area and know it all.

July 11, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

The Olympic Peninsula is gorgeous but out of the way. Maybe check out Bellingham on your way up instead. I haven't ridden there myself but they're supposed to have some great riding. If you have extra time, there is tons of riding on the Sunshine Coast, which is a short ferry from West Vancouver and a really nice place to visit.

July 11, 2013, 1:33 p.m.

For sure, you can't go wrong with Pemby as well. To be honest you can spend an extra day or two in any of the places you mentioned and have no regrets and plenty of riding left over for another trip.

July 11, 2013, 2:07 p.m.

For some reason I thought there was a ferry that could get us back across. We arrive around noon and just wanted to get to some good riding away from the city. It will take a little time to put the bikes together. I have done some hiking there in the past and thought it would be a quick scenic area to hit.

You can definitely take the ferries over. Though that route is only faster if you’re headed north across the Hood Canal Bridge. As much as I love the Olympic Peninsula, if you are looking for good riding, get in your rig and head north. If it were me, I’d add the days you save with riding in the Whistler Valley and Pemberton.

July 11, 2013, 2:54 p.m.

If any of you make it toward the Southeast (Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, or Alabama), I am your guy. I have been riding 16 or so years in the area and know it all.

By any chance are you one of the "Happy Fun Racing" guys?

July 11, 2013, 6:44 p.m.

By any chance are you one of the "Happy Fun Racing" guys?

Nope, never heard of them. I did some research on Forest Rec Sites,and that will be our plan. My mission now will be to find maps that have forest roads on them. No such luck, so far. We don't mind a bit of partying, but will probably stay farther out.

Are we crazy thinking we can show up on a Friday night and expect to find a spot somewhere? I would be more than appreciative of a hint on where to look. A private message would work too. Any hint around Squamish, whistler, or Pemberton would be awesome. We will probably move a couple of times during the week. Do people leave their gear set up at the sites while away for the day?

We will skip the Olympic Peninsula. You only have to tell me six times. I will study the evergreenmtb site for some beta on B'ham.

Thanks again guys.

July 11, 2013, 8:48 p.m.

hit bellingham on your way north. skip olympic penis. too out of way.

July 11, 2013, 9:21 p.m.

Nope, never heard of them. I did some research on Forest Rec Sites,and that will be our plan. My mission…

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_book_info[HTML_REMOVED]cPath=67_68[HTML_REMOVED]products_id=193

also available here in person

http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=backroads%20mapbook

July 12, 2013, 8:32 a.m.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_book_info[HTML_REMOVED]cPath=67_68[HTML_REMOVED]products_id=193

also available here in person

http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=backroads%20mapbook

Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for. Delorme makes an Atlas [HTML_REMOVED] Gazetteer for each state here, that is very similar.

I went ahead and downloaded this one. We should be set on that end. Hopefully, we will be able to find some places to pitch our tent.

Is the best way to support your site by buying the Brocard and socks deal? You guys are already helping me out, and I am sure I will have some more annoying questions.

Thanks again.

July 12, 2013, 10:59 p.m.

Add time in whistler, two days is a cruel tease

July 13, 2013, 4:22 p.m.

My best bud and I will be heading out for a 9 day trip in mid August. This was planned last minute, as our trip to Idaho fell through. We are from the Southeastern US, but ride all over the place. Each year we take a long trip and primitive camp along the way while freestylin' our plans.

When in mid-August?

Cause whistler can be a bit of a shit show around that time of year… http://www.whistler.com/crankworx/