The Big Stupid (Fromme)

Feb. 22, 2017, 9:32 p.m.

what's the insight on that? i've know the trail as skull since what feels like the beginning of time.

Digger Direct: Have ridden the route/ "problem" since near original inception.

Feb. 22, 2017, 11:12 p.m.

Digger Direct: Have ridden the route/ "problem" since near original inception.

ahh. did he build the line or was that someone else?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 23, 2017, 6:44 a.m.

another Leopard. Bring it on taprider. (not Trailforks, because we all know it's Leppard - I'm curious if you've got an old map that shows Leppard)

I didn't make a map
the Secret Trail Society would have frowned

Feb. 23, 2017, 4:54 p.m.

The trail was renamed Big Stupid when Digger redid that section of trail, coinciding with the DNV's signage project in 2011. It makes sense to me because this section of trail doesn't actually end at the top of (Lower) Skull. While it was often called Upper Skull by locals, was the trail actually on a map with that name? Asking because I simply can't recall.

http://nsmb.com/4358-the-digg-never-stops/

^ this.

It might have been called Skull or Upper skull in the past, and it's fun to know the history. But it's clearly called Big Stupid now for many years. There is an NSMBA Tap sign with that name right at the top. If that's what Digger and the NSMBA call it, that's the final word in my books.
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8128264/
I added "Upper Skull" to the AKA field on the trail though, for history
https://www.trailforks.com/trails/big-stupid/

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

Feb. 23, 2017, 5:09 p.m.

ahh. did he build the line or was that someone else?

Diggers's line as long as I can remember. 96/97 ?

March 5, 2017, 11:54 a.m.

Tried finding it today without any luck. How close to the BP is it. Can you see it from it?

Edit: I was just told it's right behind that new ladder drop around the tree... Doh

Last edited by: wigal123 on March 5, 2017, 3:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 10, 2017, 10:13 p.m.

Posted by: DrewM

It's one of the two (?) lines on this rock face. I can never remember if Big Stupid or Semi Retarded is on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gGdToEmpA

Haha .... that was my video that I done filmed.  Rider's name is Dave, a buddy of mine from Kansas City.  I have a pic of the bruise on his shoulder from that hit somewheres.

March 11, 2017, 10:52 a.m.

Posted by: wigal123

Tried finding it today without any luck. How close to the BP is it. Can you see it from it?

Edit: I was just told it's right behind that new ladder drop around the tree... Doh

Well that turned out to be wrong... I'm out of ideas... Unless the snow and downfall disguise it too much...

March 12, 2017, 2:06 p.m.

Well that turned out to be wrong... I'm out of ideas... Unless the snow and downfall disguise it too much...

Not quite sure what the rules are re. giving directions for a trail feature when the feature used to be on the main line but isn't any more! I've not been down Ladies for a while but pretty sure the lines are further down than that. IIRC you hit one of those lines, and then turned left onto the final switchbacky bit that shoots you on to the BP.  Or if one isn't allowed to give directions, it's on Burnaby Mountain half way down Gear Jammer.

March 12, 2017, 5:04 p.m.

Yeah it seemed more likely towards the end of the original ladies line, but none of those rocks seemed super inviting under the snow and branches... Thanks!

Last edited by: wigal123 on March 12, 2017, 5:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 26, 2017, 11:32 a.m.

I think I found it! Just above the last section of steep, sharp switchbacks.

Edit: Not sure why the embed won't work. Shows up fine in the preview. Video is here: http://www.instagram.com/p/BSF46GwArX7/

<iframe class="instagram-media instagram-media-rendered" id="instagram-embed-0" src="https://www.instagram.com/p/BSF46GwArX7/embed/captioned/?cr=1&amp;v=7" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="870" data-instgrm-payload-id="instagram-media-payload-0" scrolling="no" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); margin: 1px 1px 12px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% - 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: none; display: block; padding: 0px;"></iframe>

Last edited by: DangerousDave on March 26, 2017, 11:35 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 26, 2017, 1:47 p.m.

Lower Ladies is a tough trail.

May 10, 2017, 9:55 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Not quite sure what the rules are re. giving directions for a trail feature when the feature used to be on the main line but isn't any more! I've not been down Ladies for a while but pretty sure the lines are further down than that. IIRC you hit one of those lines, and then turned left onto the final switchbacky bit that shoots you on to the BP.  Or if one isn't allowed to give directions, it's on Burnaby Mountain half way down Gear Jammer.

Well...considering that there is a sign post on the BP that points you towards the Big Stupid, I suspect directions are redundant. Yep....west facing rock face before the switchbacks. Look for the rutted grooves. Just don't Instagram it.