Teeter Totters on North Van trails to be removed...

July 1, 2019, 2:43 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I remember when I first got into doing trail work something that Dave Diplock and others mentioned in respect to building stunts was having a qualifier at the start of the stunt. The start of the stunt should be the most difficult part or at least as difficult as the most difficult parts of the stunt."

What would be the qualifier for a teeter-totter or a steep ramp? In general, I pass on all but the easiest stunts. Understanding a bit more about how they are designed might help me wrap my head around giving more a go.

Last edited by: PaulB on July 1, 2019, 2:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 1, 2019, 4:47 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Posted by: syncro

I remember when I first got into doing trail work something that Dave Diplock and others mentioned in respect to building stunts was having a qualifier at the start of the stunt. The start of the stunt should be the most difficult part or at least as difficult as the most difficult parts of the stunt."

What would be the qualifier for a teeter-totter or a steep ramp? In general, I pass on all but the easiest stunts. Understanding a bit more about how they are designed might help me wrap my head around giving more a go.

The Qualifier "being the hardest part of the whole feature" For example on Pipeline we have put in a very skinny entrance on the upper wood circuit that is by far the hardest part. The lower teeter on Pipeline also has a very skinny entrance before getting on the teeter which is easier than the entrance. 

The idea is that if you can not get into the stunt due to the hard entrance then perhaps you should skip that feature. If you know yourself as a rider you can have good / bad days. Sometimes you get right on that stunt and the entrance is easy. Other days not so much when your grove is not on.

I always have the rule of 2. If at the 2nd attempt I can not get through the entrance / qualifier of any stunt or wood feature I skip it for another day.

July 2, 2019, 2:31 p.m.

There are reports from Mathew Bond that DNV has reversed their position on this today after the recent media coverage.  Great news if this is true

July 2, 2019, 4:17 p.m.

Saw that on instagram. Awesome news, glad I took a few minutes to craft a personalized email to DNV a couple days ago. Sounds like making noise helped.

July 2, 2019, 8:50 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Saw that on instagram. Awesome news, glad I took a few minutes to craft a personalized email to DNV a couple days ago. Sounds like making noise helped.

Sending thanks helps too. Council receives so many complaints that the positive comments stand out!

July 3, 2019, 10:05 a.m.

Looks like they've changed their mind...

https://globalnews.ca/news/5454385/north-vancouver-trail-obstacles/amp/

July 3, 2019, 4:29 p.m.

If you sent a letter in, thank you. YOU did this. It sounds cheesy, but it was your letter that put them over the edge - because without all of them, nothing would have changed.

I'd echo what AlanB said - if you sent a complaint, send a quick thank you as a follow up. It goes a long way.