tech climbing question

July 23, 2013, 2:04 p.m.

this is a bump from way back.
Switching back and forth from the flats. Do you find like you ratchet pedal more on clips? Or am i just doing it more as a way to grind out tech climbs? Also, i trust the engagement of my hub more maybe?
Conditions are bone dry right now, so im just dealing with terrain and technique. A bit of an improvement but i still bobble. in spots that i should not.

WTF, Over?

July 23, 2013, 2:13 p.m.

I might vary cadence a bit for clearing roots or rocks or putting in power strokes for clearing big ups but no ratcheting, that will kill your momentum and mess with your balance.

Tech climbs are about power, momentum and balance - the more you have of one the less you need of the others.

July 23, 2013, 2:29 p.m.

I've recently switched to being clipped in. Apart from being in a constant state of fear, I find I do ratchet to avoid pedal strikes a lot more than on flats.

Might be because I have a more consistant cadence clipped in, and do not make as many micro adjustments, or just don't want to take the chance of stalling out.

July 23, 2013, 2:40 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2767787]I might vary cadence a bit for clearing roots or rocks or putting in power strokes for clearing big ups but no ratcheting, that will kill your momentum and mess with your balance.

Tech climbs are about power, momentum and balance - the more you have of one the less you need of the others.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what I do. Gotta keep your head up, look at the terrain ahead and vary your cadence to avoid pedal strikes-can't remember the last time I had a pedal strike but it does happen once in a while.