team nsmb feeds bear

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:02 p.m.

In their defense at least they were far away from the bear, and simply left a chicken carcass in the middle of the area and filmed from afar as a bear appears and eats it. The bear probably wont associate the chicken carcass with people or with houses, cities, civilization etc.

just an fyi…bears dont eat chicken as a part of their normal diet.

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:14 p.m.

just an fyi…bears dont eat chicken as a part of their normal diet.

They would if they could.

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:18 p.m.

In their defense at least they were far away from the bear, and simply left a chicken carcass in the middle of the area and filmed from afar as a bear appears and eats it. The bear probably wont associate the chicken carcass with people or with houses, cities, civilization etc.

It is not all that different from simply watching a scavenging bear eat a random animal carcass that naturally occurred.

That said obviously it is not a good idea to feed bears in general, and i think it is good the video was taken down so people don't imitate it in an unsafe way.

You've made a lot of assumptions here that bear biologists probably don't even have an answer to.

We've got no way of knowing if that bear associated the chicken with humans. It was handled by humans, so it probably smells like one. Humans were nearby and the bear could probably smell them. Humans put it there and the bear probably saw that. Rotten carcasses of wild animals probably smell significantly different from non-rotten agriculturally produced chickens.

Remember kids, if you make and assumption about an animal, you're probably anthropomorphizing and are therefore likely to be wrong.

Any method of feeding bears is dangerous. If they need food, you need distance (Port Renfrew bear mauling anyone?). If they don't need food, don't feed 'em.

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:27 p.m.

that wasn't a bear, its was only cam without a shirt on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_community

Bears tend to have hairy bodies and facial hair; some are heavy-set; some project an image of working-class masculinity in their grooming and appearance, though none of these are requirements or unique indicators. Some bears place importance on presenting a hyper-masculine image and may shun interaction with, and even disdain, men who exhibit effeminacy. The bear concept can function as an identity, an affiliation, and an ideal to live up to, and there is ongoing debate in bear communities about what constitutes a bear. There is also, anecdotally, more acceptance of tattoos and body piercing in the bear community.

Dec. 2, 2008, 11:43 p.m.

In their defense at least they were far away from the bear, and simply left a chicken carcass in the middle of the area and filmed from afar as a bear appears and eats it.

It is not all that different from simply watching a scavenging bear eat a random animal carcass that naturally occurred.

No offense, but that is the most nonsensical post of the year.

LOL chicken carcass.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 3, 2008, 12:47 a.m.

This is a disgrace to fly fishers everywhere.

I have watched Wild Boys seasons 1 and 2 and I can tell you with full confidence that several of you are full of shit.

One of these is not like the others.

Dec. 3, 2008, 6:11 a.m.

You've made a lot of assumptions here that bear biologists probably don't even have an answer to.

We've got no way of knowing if that bear associated the chicken with humans.

It is true, I was guessing. I am not claiming to be sure.

What I was getting at was that this probably isn't the worst thing you could do as far as bear safety goes. Bears scavenge, bears eat trash and human related things all the time. They just baited and filmed it from a substantial distance.

Anyway I am over this, just wanted to present the other side and play a little devils advocate.

Dec. 3, 2008, 6:39 a.m.

i didn't see the video , and i'm glad it got taken down . i don't know what exactly is shown , but those responsible should realize that they could could be charged under the Wildlife Act , and that video could well be the evidence used to convict them .

i'm not trying to ruin anyones' day , but just remember that your actions have consequences and the consequences of this action could contribute to this bears' death .

also , a reminder that if you are representing someone or something , you'd better think think hard about how your actions will be portrayed and received by the public at large .

nsmb , i presume this matter has been dealt with in no uncertain terms ?

Dec. 3, 2008, 8 a.m.

Don't worry guys. After team NSMB went to cash in some "bearmiles" with these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hi6yfgOclw

Dec. 3, 2008, 9 a.m.

They would if they could.

sure, but it's not their "natural" food.

"The species primarily feeds on vegetable matter, including roots, and fungi. Fish are a primary source of meat, and it will also kill small mammals on land."

last i checked chickens dont run around in the wild in bc :rolleyes:

Dec. 3, 2008, 9:14 a.m.

they should have gap jumped over it while it was eating………..

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

Dec. 3, 2008, 9:29 a.m.

Hi ,
I would just like to say, This was a HUGE mistake doing what we did. I didn't realize/think of what risks and danger we were putting the animal ,our self's ,and everyone else in. I have never bother wildlife before, and I definitely won't ever again! After having this open my eyes to how incredibly wrong and dangerous this was. I hope everyone can understand we weren't Trying to harm an animal or anyone else, this was just a VERY bad idea that will never be replicated again. My sincere apologies for our actions.

Curtis

Dec. 3, 2008, 9:40 a.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_community

Wow that's the second time I've seen that link on here. The first guy that sent it wanted to know if I was indeed a "BrownBear" lol

Dec. 3, 2008, 9:49 a.m.

Good on ya Curtis. Every mistake is an opportunity to learn, and it seems that you did, and responded with class.

Dec. 3, 2008, 10:36 a.m.

That said obviously it is not a good idea to feed bears in general, and i think it is good the video was taken down so people don't imitate it in an unsafe way.

FYI If the chicken wasn't cooked, then it wouldn't be as bad, but it obviously was, and that's a big problem. Animals can't handle cooked bone and should always eat them raw.

When you cook chicken, the bones become dry and brittle. When an animal then eats the bones, they break into sharp splinters, instead of simply bending or crumbling if they were raw. Now you have a huge animal with nail sized and shaped bones passing through it's digestive system. Needless to say it could cause some serious harm to the animal.