TAP - Optional Lines

Dec. 6, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

I do wonder how long the log will last. The last time I waddled across it, there was significant movement. I wonder how much strength is left in it. It would be tough to support it as it crosses a swamp.

Dirt topping it would be blasphemy. That is a North Shore icon. Leave it be.

Dec. 6, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

I do wonder how long the log will last. The last time I waddled across it, there was significant movement. I wonder how much strength is left in it. It would be tough to support it as it crosses a swamp.

If I were to bet on it, I'd suspect that one of these years it will get taken out by a falling tree.

(next comment not aimed at any one in particular, and I'm not reading into DaveM's post that he's suggesting that a ride around is blasphemous - in fact, I would agree that modifying the log itself would be the blasphemous act)

I've never ridden it, and never will. Heights sketch me out. I don't see how suggesting that their be a ride around to a high consequence high wire act is blasphemous though. If there was an alternate line, I'd ride it.

Dec. 6, 2012, 10:27 a.m.

true. but, something will need to be done about traction on top of it. I've ridden that log since the late 90's and it has gotten more hazardous every year because of the slime. nature is taking it over again. It wasn't like that when it became an icon.

It can be shaved down and re-textured, but that will only last for so long. it's definitely an icon I agree. but it's not like it hasn't been changed since it was first put in. remember those teepee ramp things and the ride around platforms on it? the entrance used to be different too. anyway, constructive ideas would be good. 'cuz just "leaving it be" isn't going to work for anyone.

i'd like to ride that log years from now and if we leave it be, that ain't gonna happen. I love riding that trail despite "trends" these days. I rode it 6 times in october and at least twice a month through the whole spring and summer.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Dec. 6, 2012, 10:42 a.m.

I don't see how suggesting that their be a ride around to a high consequence high wire act is blasphemous though. If there was an alternate line, I'd ride it.

agreed

Dec. 6, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

true. but, something will need to be done about traction on top of it. I've ridden that log since the late 90's and it has gotten more hazardous every year because of the slime. nature is taking it over again. It wasn't like that when it became an icon.

It can be shaved down and re-textured, but that will only last for so long. it's definitely an icon I agree. but it's not like it hasn't been changed since it was first put in. remember those teepee ramp things and the ride around platforms on it? the entrance used to be different too. anyway, constructive ideas would be good. 'cuz just "leaving it be" isn't going to work for anyone.

i'd like to ride that log years from now and if we leave it be, that ain't gonna happen. I love riding that trail despite "trends" these days. I rode it 6 times in october and at least twice a month through the whole spring and summer.

Would it be too hard to shave off the top layer of sliminess from the log to get to the fresh stuff?

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Dec. 6, 2012, 1:35 p.m.

Regarding the BoogieMan comments……

My 2 cents…
.if you cant ride that log, you have no business riding that trail, there are trails for all skill levels.

And if you enjoy Boogie but cant get your head around the log bridge,then walk it….it is easliy walkable with your bike. If you can't manage to walk it….tsk tsk…then ride trails within your comfort zone.

Although shaving off the top layer wouldnt hurt as Vuke suggests above , dkl has some good points as well…..in terms of preserving this log bridge.

Dec. 6, 2012, 1:42 p.m.

I wonder if you could rough up or mill the riding surface with a chainsaw debarker attachment.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail_mobi.asp?item=49600

Anyone tried something like this on woodwork(also works well for notching beams for building structures)?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 6, 2012, 2:11 p.m.

taking off the top is not that hard and have done that to refurbish other old wood features. it is the first solution that comes to mind because it's the easiest. but that's a limited timed solution. you can do that for only so long before you compromise the strength of the log. the way the surface of the log is cut, you'd have to go more than several millimetres in to get below the slime. then cut into the fresh wood again to give the log texture. it won't horribly compromise the strength of the log. but just bear in mind this log is suspended for most of its length across the swamp so is under a fair bit of tension. anyway, keep the ideas coming. the other thing I thought of was roofing tile. Todd likes using roofing tile over mesh or any of that other stuff. the roofing tile he used for features on ladies etc has been there for a long time and doesn't strip off that easily.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Dec. 6, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

Wow people actually still ride Boogieman?

Dec. 6, 2012, 2:14 p.m.

With respect to alternate ride around routes, I think if you don't build one from the get go, there will be one in short order. I think ride arounds simply open up the opportunity for more people to ride more trails which spreads the use around as opposed to having people avoid high consequence only trails that get used only by those willing to commit. I don't like heights but I know guys that do so if I am riding with them and there are ride arounds I can go with them anywhere.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 6, 2012, 3:36 p.m.

Wow people actually still ride Boogieman?

I rode it a few months back and found it really fun. It didn't look well travelled though. Steed has been pretty hard at work in there.

I think the surface of the log ride is riddled with old nails etc from various forms of traction assistance that's been used over the years. It wouldn't be much fun for the guy with the saw. Years ago I roughed up the last part of the uphill log with my saw and hit lots of nails.

Dec. 6, 2012, 5:49 p.m.

With respect to alternate ride around routes, I think if you don't build one from the get go, there will be one in short order. I think ride arounds simply open up the opportunity for more people to ride more trails which spreads the use around as opposed to having people avoid high consequence only trails that get used only by those willing to commit. I don't like heights but I know guys that do so if I am riding with them and there are ride arounds I can go with them anywhere.

I agree 100%. You'd be surprised the number of builders that spend most of their time blocking ride-arounds and not building new trails.

That said…
I'm just playing devils advocate here but in all Honesty, whats wrong with getting off your bike once a ride for a 100' section of gnar?

transition bikes

Dec. 6, 2012, 5:54 p.m.

Mathew,
I think you pretty much nailed it in your response to my post.
I wasn't that serious, I just wanted to use optional and mandatory in the same sentence, but Natural High is a great example as you've noted.
Same with the Big Stupid. You can ride it if you're up to it, but there is a way down for those who are not ready.
HO
:dizzy::dizzy:

Dec. 6, 2012, 6:05 p.m.

That said…
I'm just playing devils advocate here but in all Honesty, whats wrong with getting off your bike once a ride for a 100' section of gnar?

I agree for the most part. I don't love my bikes so much that I'm not opposed to throwing them down a rock face and following it down after if the need arises. I definitely brought my 'C Game' to the ride the other day and walked down the steep rock chute on Dales with my DH bike despite having ridden it on a 4X bike (in the dry though…) a few years earlier. I'm not asking for another line there because one way or another you can get down it. Being forced to shuffle along a wet slippy 100ft log 8ft in the air doesn't get my stoke on so much though!:cry:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 6, 2012, 8:47 p.m.

If you ride the main line, it's mostly a blue trail (except for the narrow, downhill ladder bridge after the swivel teeter).

Mathew

Hey Matt, this has been my feeling ever since this section of the trail was built, it's not quite in keeping with the intent of the rest of the blue option trail.

If I were to want to rebuild the bridge, would I have to renew the permit? You know my feelings about working under a permit.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.