Synchros revisited

Jan. 17, 2003, 11:28 p.m.

I pulled this off the cyclingnews website. I feel so bad for Pip and the poor bastardization it has become.

**What's in a name?
A word of advice to companies out there: always keep up with the paperwork. Syncros, the once grand manufacturer of bike components, was recently the in the middle of a struggle between new owners Pacific Cycles and UK bike store Super Cycles. Well at least the name was.

It's only a name
When Pacific took control of Syncros, at that stage a housebrand for GT, they pretty much put the company on the backburner. After all, the main emphasis was on resurrecting the Schwinn and GT names as soon as possible. But someone forgot to keep an eye on the paperwork and the Syncros trademark ran out.

It didn't take long for Super Cycles to stumble onto Pacific's omission, first re-registering the name, then beginning work on a Syncros trials crank. Pacific didn't too take long either to stumble into negotiations with Super Cycles.

In a press release, Pacific stated, "Super Cycles and Pacific Cycles have announced that their dispute over the Syncros registered trade mark has reached an amicable conclusion. Super Cycles has agreed to transfer the mark to Pacific for an undisclosed sum. This paves the way for Pacific to continue their planned re-introduction of the brand in 2003 with no further complications."**

Jan. 17, 2003, 11:52 p.m.

pacific called us 2 weeks ago to ask if it was us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pip

www.bansheebikes.com

Jan. 18, 2003, 12:09 a.m.

Wouldn't have been a bad idea except that they build for you.
:(

Jan. 18, 2003, 9:59 a.m.

Originally posted by HEYPIP
**pacific called us 2 weeks ago to ask if it was us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pip **

i bet if that had happened to you, you wouldn't have put all those laughing faces.kinda sad when one has to buy back their own name(even if they only paid $1)all because somebody forgot to check.although i'm not a big supporter of pacific and how they handle there affairs,something like that could kill a small bicycle manufactorer.later b

Jan. 18, 2003, 6:12 p.m.

Originally posted by flowrider
Wouldn't have been a bad idea except that they build for you.
:(

2 different Pacifics.

1 big evil corp in the US.
1 small factory in Taiwan.

FOX

www.243racing.com

Jan. 18, 2003, 8:16 p.m.

Originally posted by bighitter
i bet if that had happened to you, you wouldn't have put all those laughing faces.kinda sad when one has to buy back their own name(even if they only paid $1)all because somebody forgot to check.although i'm not a big supporter of pacific and how they handle there affairs,something like that could kill a small bicycle manufactorer.later b

A small manufacturer probably would have that sorted out as they wouldn't be spending time restructring two larger companies.

Jan. 18, 2003, 9:59 p.m.

Originally posted by bighitter

Two things to say to you:

1. The Pacific in that article is not a small bicycle manufacturer, in fact they are quite a large corporation.
2. HEYPIP was one of the original Synchros guys

You may now remove your foot from your mouth.

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

Jan. 18, 2003, 10:32 p.m.

Damn, I would have loved to see a slip-up like that and register the name. Nice way to make a fast buck.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 20, 2003, 12:20 a.m.

Just hilarious. :lol:
Pip, isn't that weird reading such stuff about your "old" company?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer