Suggestions wanted: De clipless on trail

June 29, 2010, 4:14 p.m.

For my all mountain ride, i run shimano dx platform and clipless pedals with the shimano flats and clipless shoes. I need the clipless for long rides and climbs but would like to prevent my shoes from clipping while riding skinnies. I've tried standing on the pedal towards my heal more so that i won't clip in, but am looking for other suggestion. Wondering if anybody else has thought of this? one idea could be to carry some ligthweight hard plastic that i could wrap around the pedal or even my shoes to create a layer between the clip and the pedal.

Any ideas?

June 29, 2010, 4:16 p.m.

commit or eat shit.

no, really…

June 29, 2010, 4:17 p.m.

I run mine really really loose, so they're nice and easy to pop out. It's second nature. I think some people have grippier flat pedal/shoe combos.

June 29, 2010, 4:19 p.m.

its more to be able to do self balancing "judo kicks".

June 29, 2010, 4:23 p.m.

and I run flats and skate shoes for my dh setup.

June 29, 2010, 5:04 p.m.

I've never had a problem getting in and out of my DX pedals, it's a mental thing. It sounds like you've convinced yourself that you can't ride skinnies clipped in, therefore, you won't be able to.

June 29, 2010, 5:09 p.m.

commit or eat shit.

no, really…

This.

June 29, 2010, 5:30 p.m.

When you change your foot placement on clips, you're in a vulnerable position. Not good foot placeent or control and not how shoe or pedal was designed to be used.

As Heckler says, loosen off the cleats and look after them. Lube them regularily to keep them working smooth.

There are some skinnies I just don't ride with clips. It's ok, it will still be there next time…

DB@EB
Posted via Mobile Device

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

June 29, 2010, 6 p.m.

skinnies are played anyways.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 29, 2010, 9:36 p.m.

skinnies are played anyways.

No guff eh! Tonight I rode a trail I call "The Route" which passes the remnants of a chainsaw mass-a-cree. I laughed at the goofy bits of wood nailed up high and the narrow ladders laying on the ground. Ho I thought. Just try and eradicate what I am riding up. I rode down pretty much what I went up. Hardtail. 100mm fork. Fast smooth trails what a blast.

Kind of like going to Starschmucks and saying no the crappy sugary sap that passes for a coffee there and odering a strrong black coffee. Black no sugar as it was meant to be. Like mountainbiking on just a trail. No crap. No fluff. Pure unadulterated loam. Just me and the black lab. Best ride of the season.

To be honest, I don't think you can do much about not clipping into clip pedals as you want. Setting them loose is all I could suggest.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 30, 2010, 8:41 a.m.

These pedals have a decent flat side as far as two-sided pedals go, but when you do your judo kick it'll flip over and you'll be left with the spd side and that's kinda wack…

flickr

June 30, 2010, 9:43 a.m.

Ditto on loosening the clipless. and momentum if your friend!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 2, 2010, 10:37 p.m.

These pedals have a decent flat side as far as two-sided pedals go, but when you do your judo kick it'll flip over and you'll be left with the spd side and that's kinda wack…

i've unclipped before drops and i stayed on…they're great pedals

Parking lot punter with a beer belly