Stupid crashes!

July 23, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

Here's a question: who didn't find out what happened when you jam your foot into the front wheel at speed when they were a kid?

flickr

July 23, 2012, 4:06 p.m.

My worst crash to date was about 10 years ago off-road touring on the Iron Horse rail trail in Washington. I was following my SO on the downgrade at a pretty good clip and, as it turned out, following him too closely. He stopped all of a sudden to look at a waterfall; I grabbed brakes, forgot to clip out and promptly feel over, hit my head on the ground and knocked myself out. To this day I don't have any memory of hitting the ground or the first couple of minutes after that. Had to buy a new helmet as mine was cracked. Thankfully that was all that was cracked.

July 23, 2012, 4:07 p.m.

Here's a question: who didn't find out what happened when you jam your foot into the front wheel at speed when they were a kid?

Fortunately, I found out seeing someone else do it.

July 23, 2012, 4:27 p.m.

Not a worse crash per say but I felt pretty stupid last Tuesday when i went off the step up on the right of Step Up Island in Garbo and some how got launched to the right and clipped that big tree at the top.

I've done that exact same thing. Only I just clipped my right pedal and pinwheeled off the tree.

Idiot.

July 23, 2012, 4:36 p.m.

Ha! I really didn't think it would stop me that fast!!! Of course this was before helmets were the norm and luckily I was good at the tucknroll.

July 23, 2012, 4:59 p.m.

I've done that exact same thing. Only I just clipped my right pedal and pinwheeled off the tree.

Idiot.

Awesome! I am not alone! lol

July 23, 2012, 5:06 p.m.

haha! i've never done that, but i did find out what happens when you touch your front tire to someone else's back tire without having a firm grip on the handlebars - it was on a paved path and i ended up suddenly lying on the ground on my back with my bike perpendicular to a tree that was beside the path :lol:

unfortunately there were a lot of witnesses who found it very amusing :S

July 23, 2012, 6:24 p.m.

this isnt a crash but this just came to mind some how.
so i must tell you all!

when i was around 14 years old i rode my bmx alot.
trying to gride ledges was a daily thing.
well one day when i attemped to grind a ledge my chain popped off. the chain was so tight that i was having a very hard time doing it while holding up the bike and trying to pedal the chain back on. well when i set the bike on the ground it rolled backwards abit and i was still holding the chain…
while the bike rolled back my 4 fingers got some how got jammed between the chain and the sproket! it happened so fast that i tryed to pull my hand out quick but its kind of hard when 4 teeth from the chain ring are completly inside my finger tips hahhah. since the chain was now half on and so tight i just spun the chain around the rest of the way until my fingers were free.
i still remember that moment clear as day…:|

superheros
I like bikes

July 23, 2012, 10:28 p.m.

Idiot.

Weird one of the 4 guys I ride with in whistler texted me a few hours ago and said he just clipped the same tree as me, he ditched the bike as well but he just barely caught the tree so he was ok. What are the chances of that 20% of my riding group has now hit that tree……

Woops tired math last night, 40% not 20%….

July 24, 2012, 2:42 a.m.

watch those curbs people :|

My first ever bike crash was going off a curb on a 10 speed that was way too big for me
resulting in my one and only concussion and a scar on my forehead that remains to this day (I was ~7y/o).

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 24, 2012, 9:32 a.m.

I can think of two off the top of my head, one old and one new all on easier trails.

Years ago on Nicole's on Burnaby Mountain, early in my riding days came around one of those tight switchbacks partway down the trail somehow slid on one of those tiny little bridges embedded into the ground. Hit my front brake which caught when it came off the wood, lifting my rear wheel, so I let go of the brake and leaned back which brought up my front again. Repeated this at least once more before my head slammed into the tree on the corner of the next switchback and I fell over the little drop to land in the middle of the switchback below.

I know all this because my wife was shooting the whole thing with her camera at 5 frames per second. There's even a picture of the exact expression on my face as my head compressed into the tree and I blacked out for a second and it's epic. Helmet was wrecked.

The second one was only a few months back on Starz on Eagle Mountain. Right at the trail exit where you have to ride between two trees that leave just barely the space to get your bars between them. At one point riding this trail with my brother he pointed out that he could actually prop his bike up by the handlebars between the two trees and since we have the same width bars we both sat and wondered how we always manage to slip through it, at a decent speed even. Fast forward to a few months ago approaching the same trail exit for maybe the hundredth time at a really good clip and in the last few turns my mind wanders back to that conversation with my brother and I'm actually thinking to myself 'One of these days I'm going to actually clip a handlebar on one of those trees' on the approach. Of course I clip a bar on the tree, go over the handlebars and roll across the road with my bike and into the bushes on the other side.

Got a few good scrapes and bruises but I actually came up laughing to myself because it was such a stupid situation.

Mind over matter apparently. :)

July 24, 2012, 9:47 a.m.

two off the top of my head

Yow! That would hurt!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 24, 2012, 10:13 a.m.

Yow! That would hurt!

Kn.

Well to be fair, one really was off the top of my head.

July 24, 2012, 11:54 a.m.

Anyone else hit the tree in the gravity bowl in Delta watershed?

Years ago, rigid bike, narrow bars but most significantly no skillz… lost control coming up the other side, bike on one side of the tree and I ended up hanging onto the tree part way up.

July 24, 2012, 3:01 p.m.

Ibuprofen is my bff

I just had one of those 400mg Ibu's. Afternoon hockey in July has a way of making the body hurt again.
:D

In the last year, Fish oil has saved my body from seizing up. Along with that I'll take a serapeptase pill every once in a while that seems to do what it's supposed to do, which is trigger my body into fixing itself like it used to. Active X multi's, and some Methylcobalimin B12 for natural energy and I feel like I'm 20 again.