Stupid crashes!

Aug. 27, 2012, 10:54 a.m.

This one happened to my buddy last weekend on cypress

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Aug. 27, 2012, 1:35 p.m.

Last week I simply stepped off my bike when I got hung up on a climb and the soft ground gave way underneath me.

Rolled my ankle super bad. Heard a bang (ankle) and went down like a sack of potatoes, bike still with me. Flats tore up my calf, and handlebars bruised my chest.

X-Rays show no break, but I've gotta go back this week for another one to make sure there's no fractures obscured by the swelling. Maybe an MRI to see if I ruptured a ligament. I'm in an aircast for at least three weeks! Fack!

Ride, don't slide.

Aug. 27, 2012, 2:07 p.m.

A very good friend got to experience a very unpleasant crash on Bitches Brew back in the day when it was basically a new trail. He was on an Ibis Mountain Trials (26" wheel up front, 24" in the rear, hard tail, rigid fork) and pulled up and over one of the steep problems that had a steep skinny up and an even skinnier, steep and long exit into chunder.. My buddy was a very skilled rider, more akin to a gymnast or contortionist than to a bike rider - he was a treat to watch ride a bike on our challenging North Shore trails. To make that steep move and control the challenging exit, my buddy had to put a significant amount of his body WELL behind the seat and dangerously close to the rear tire. Did I happen to mention that my friend was wearing loose shorts and no chamois underneath that day???

From just behind him, I got to see the whole, nasty thing play out. His flapping shorts started to get pulled by the rear tire…..the shorts repositioned forcefully as the bike reached it's steepest point of the up and over move……and then my buddy's testicles suddenly appeared and got dragged by the rolling rubber into the narrow space between the rear tire and brake brace resulting in VERY strong braking action causing a skidding, awkward, loud crash (fleshy nuts vs rubber and aluminum have a surprising amount of friction it seems!).

Long story short, there was a resulting crash that would have made most of us cringe. In the aftermath of tangled body, bike, and foliage, my buddy's previously proud but now MASSIVELY SWOLLEN and PURPLE nuts were still well and truly stuck in between his frame and tire. His junk was completely stuck in the trunk of that bike and were laid out on top of the tire on the OPPOSITE side of the brake brace! Through what sounded like the howls of a dying man (and maybe the muffled giggles of his best friends trying to rescue his fleshy bits), we gently and carefully removed his rear wheel to set free his trapped junk. There was luckily a small creek right there and make no mistake, those swollen purple bits spent some quality time submerged in the cool water before he could consider finishing off the ride! And finish it he did, in style even.

To be truthful, this was a nauseating experience…….not to mention DAMN FUNNY during the post ride beers and ice bath testicle soak party that ensued! This one still brings a tear to my eye today, even after almost 20 years! Soooooooo nasty to watch…….

Aug. 27, 2012, 2:11 p.m.

I've had more injuries from DH/FR/AM in the 9 years I've been riding than any other time in my life.

Skin missing from legs, arms, elbows, knuckles, knees, shoulder, ass, face, dislocated finger, bruised heel, sprained ankle, sprained knee, rocks in eyes, winded, torn knee ligaments, torn meniscus, shin gashes, heat exhaustion, bruised ribs and getting sacked.

But I still come back for more every single chance I get.

Some would call it craziness, I call it passion.

Stupidest crash was witnessed by Bryan, Dave and Rob. Super hungover/still drunk. Riding a wet, greasy down hill log ride on Mandatory Caution at The Woodlot. Up one second, face plant in the trees the next.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Aug. 28, 2012, 6 a.m.

^^^

Thanks Dean! You made me laugh so hard… the absurdity of it all and yet we still come back for more.

Aug. 28, 2012, 7:43 a.m.

^^^

Thanks Dean! You made me laugh so hard… the absurdity of it all and yet we still come back for more.

this is the thing eh?
we crash, we bleed, we break bones - and yet we can't WAIT to get back on the bike. i've cut a pair of gloves just so my broken pinky could stick through.

i remember when i dislocated my collarbone, couldn't raise my arm above chest height, and my dad was like "you're going to quit now, right" :lol:

we're all crazy.

Sept. 13, 2012, 7:58 p.m.

Most recent stupid crash would be trying to follow 2 guys that just finished 2nd in their division in the bc cup. (Didn't know at the time)

Trailing and felt the urge to keep up through some whoops. Landed in the bottom of the first well then launched on top of the bars into the second one. OTB and really strained some ligaments in my foot. :stupid:

Not in a rush to ride behind those guys anytime soon. Feel like a wuss if you ride at your own pace. Or break yourself off if you don't.

Sept. 13, 2012, 9:09 p.m.

Mine was on the very first move on Krazy Karpenter, the little ramp up onto the plank with a 2? foot drop off. I came coasting in, rolled up onto the flat and went to pedal off the drop. Unbeknownst to me, my chain had fallen off so when I went to pedal, there was nothing there and I endoed over the bars and piledrived myself headfirst into the ground. Knocked myself silly, cracked my collarbone and tore my rotator cuff. 3 months off work and close to 6 before I could ride again.

Sept. 25, 2012, 2:16 p.m.

That is an easy one. Trying out my new 29er on Burnably Moutain last fall. Came off the dirt onto some greasy newly paved paking lot and laid er out. Mind on something else and head definetely up my ….. Road rash. My wife laughed for days watching her weekend warrior gimp around. Safe riding.

Sept. 25, 2012, 5 p.m.

I forgot about getting a rocket launching years ago when my Labrador retriever put a stick in my wheel.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 1, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

Just cleared all of Severed D for the first time yesterday and was feeling on top of the world. As I was riding back to Old Buck along Bridal Path I endo'd HARD on absolutely nothing. Fractured my hand and a snake bite puncture on the front.

After getting all of that mess sorted I managed about another 500m when the rear went flat and my back end went out from under me falling on said hand. :swearing:! Found three holes in that tube. One fractured bone and 5 patches later I finished the ride.

Best and worst ride ever!

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:25 p.m.

A very good friend got to experience a very unpleasant crash on Bitches Brew back in the day when it was basically a new trail. He was on an Ibis Mountain Trials (26" wheel up front, 24" in the rear, hard tail, rigid fork) and pulled up and over one of the steep problems that had a steep skinny up and an even skinnier, steep and long exit into chunder.. My buddy was a very skilled rider, more akin to a gymnast or contortionist than to a bike rider - he was a treat to watch ride a bike on our challenging North Shore trails. To make that steep move and control the challenging exit, my buddy had to put a significant amount of his body WELL behind the seat and dangerously close to the rear tire. Did I happen to mention that my friend was wearing loose shorts and no chamois underneath that day???

From just behind him, I got to see the whole, nasty thing play out. His flapping shorts started to get pulled by the rear tire…..the shorts repositioned forcefully as the bike reached it's steepest point of the up and over move……and then my buddy's testicles suddenly appeared and got dragged by the rolling rubber into the narrow space between the rear tire and brake brace resulting in VERY strong braking action causing a skidding, awkward, loud crash (fleshy nuts vs rubber and aluminum have a surprising amount of friction it seems!).

Long story short, there was a resulting crash that would have made most of us cringe. In the aftermath of tangled body, bike, and foliage, my buddy's previously proud but now MASSIVELY SWOLLEN and PURPLE nuts were still well and truly stuck in between his frame and tire. His junk was completely stuck in the trunk of that bike and were laid out on top of the tire on the OPPOSITE side of the brake brace! Through what sounded like the howls of a dying man (and maybe the muffled giggles of his best friends trying to rescue his fleshy bits), we gently and carefully removed his rear wheel to set free his trapped junk. There was luckily a small creek right there and make no mistake, those swollen purple bits spent some quality time submerged in the cool water before he could consider finishing off the ride! And finish it he did, in style even.

To be truthful, this was a nauseating experience…….not to mention DAMN FUNNY during the post ride beers and ice bath testicle soak party that ensued! This one still brings a tear to my eye today, even after almost 20 years! Soooooooo nasty to watch…….

I have a feeling that what happened to your friend is more common in this day with the growing popularity of 29ers. You certainly have me worried.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 31, 2013, 10:52 p.m.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread due to a "winner" that I feel the need to share. Took a buddy for a ride on Seymour and we were going for the marathon XC ride from Inter-River to Old Buck and back (route from the guide). On the climb from Fisherman's to Bridle I rode a bit too close to the edge about 2/3 of the way up. I'm assuming that due to the heavy rain the other night the trail was a bit too soft on the edge and the entire side gave way and pitched me 15ft down the side with my bike following me through the air! I slid down a fallen tree for about 5ft before a "soft" landing among some ferns. Hiking back up was a bit sketch and my partner showed back up right as I crawled back onto the trail (5 min after the initial fall).
I tried to pack back in the side of the trail and then put two rocks over the area which should keep people away from that spot. Will check on it again during the week.
I've had my share if spills but this one scared me the most due to the lack of time to react and not be able to spot a landing. At the same time, we laughed pretty hard after the ride knowing how strange it was to bail so bad while climbing uphill at a snail's pace.
Take care out there!

Sept. 1, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

An oldie but favorite happened nearly 3 decades ago riding east under the powerlines from the 3rd switchback on Cypress. I'd been riding less than a year and rigids were the only option.

Coming up to a creek crossing I had the misfortune of falling downhill into the dry creek bed. No major damage, but to lift the bike back onto the trail I had to raise it above my head with full arm extension and give it a little toss up. Didn't realize how far I'd fallen!

Sept. 1, 2013, 2:35 p.m.

this thread amazes and terrifies me. that nut story, holy holy shit….

riding faster than ever yesterday thinking, wow, this new fork is amazing, so stiff and precise, look how fast i can rip, etc. a loose fast double track curve just..couldnt…quite…..stickit…. brake slide into a downed tree off the side, catapult into the woods and slam on my hip. limpy today but should be fine. SOB…

this summer i'm riding my Surly Ogre with 38mm slicks, hot day, feeling fine like i can rail all the roads fooling around, dive hard into a smooth, clean corner but i was going so fast the front just slide straight out at the apex. ugly road rash on lower leg, badly cut knee and terribly bruised ego.

broke my left finger this winter careening off a tree.

no more injuries!!!