Steve Smith passed away? Is this real?

May 10, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

The Legend of the Canadian descent Steve Smith is leaving us at the age of 26 years. The determination, the guts and the joy of living are the values for which it must be remembered of Steve.

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

May 10, 2016, 4:01 p.m.

From the Devinci website MAY 2016

1989-2016
Canadian Downhill Legend Steve Smith Dies at 26 | Rider’s drive, determination and love for living will be remembered by all those whose paths he crossed

World Cup sensation Steve Smith passed away this afternoon after suffering a massive brain injury resulting from an enduro motorcycle accident in his hometown of Nanaimo, British Columbia. He was 26 years old.

“Today we lost a great person, who taught me about myself and influenced many,” says Devinci Global Racing Team Manager, Gabe Fox. “Stevie was a fierce competitor, an honest friend and a rider who made me proud on countless occasions. I am honoured to consider him my friend for so long.”

Smith hailed from Vancouver Island, where he sharpened his mountain biking skills on the rainforest trails of Mt. Prevost. A force on the Canadian downhill racing scene for years, he became an international household name in 2013 after pocketing World Cup wins at Leogang, Hafjell, and Mont-Sainte-Anne, Que. Those efforts culminated in the World Cup Overall Title the same year—downhill racing’s ultimate achievement.

Smith is revered by fellow competitors and loved by friends, family and fans, who’ve been following what had been an explosive start to the 2016 season. Pushing past injuries that led to consecutive sidelined seasons, The Canadian Chainsaw was back in podium form this past April for the UCI WC Mountain Bike opener in Lourdes, France, where he finished in second place.

A driven athlete and fierce competitor, Smith was humble and grounded off the track. He was a notable influence on all young and aspiring Canadian gravity racers and others around the world. He was also a key mentor to friend and DGR teammate, Mark Wallace.

“I would not be anywhere on the bike without Steve,” Wallace says. “Most importantly he taught me to be confident in my abilities, race my bike properly and take risks. As training partners, we pushed each other to the limit."

At home, in his close-knit Vancouver Island community, Smith was known as a consummate outdoorsman. This is where he spent time fishing, camping, and sinking birdie putts on the golf course. His spirit was infectious and inspirational. He passed away peacefully surrounded by his close family and those he positively affected. Steve Smith is survived by his devoted mother, Tiann, sister, Kara, his uncle, Eric, niece and nephew, Myla and Luke, grandmother, Judi, and girlfriend, Caily Schenkeveld.

His family remembers him as a great warrior.

“Steve was the most successful Canadian Gravity Racer of all time,” Fox says. “His passing leaves a huge hole in our hearts here at Devinci.”

A Celebration of Life will be held on May 21 at 1 p.m. at the Vancouver Island Convention Centre in Nanaimo, B.C. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the “Stevie Smith Legacy Fund” at www.gofundme.com/23k7fus. Funds will be earmarked for a Tiann Smith initiative, assisting talented young athletes.

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

May 10, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

No words. RIP.

May 10, 2016, 4:27 p.m.

I went from complete disgust and anger for such a sick joke to complete disbelief.

Fuck.

May 10, 2016, 4:44 p.m.

Terrible tragedy, be careful out there folks :( RIP

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 10, 2016, 6:41 p.m.

The Canadian Chainsaw Massacre…RIP. It was so good to have someone like him do so well on the world stage. Somebody who came from our area representing us, putting BC [HTML_REMOVED] Canada on the map. There will never be another like him. I cannot imagine what his family is going thru right now.

Thread killer

May 10, 2016, 7:51 p.m.

This is shitty. He was a great inspiration and seemed to always be approachable. Terrible news for the MTB world and his family.

May 10, 2016, 8:53 p.m.

Gutted, RIP

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

May 10, 2016, 9:09 p.m.

So young. So sad. Thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

May 10, 2016, 10:20 p.m.

I was just telling one of my kids how great he was and now I've got to tell him he died. Fuck. :(

RIP.

Wrong. Always.

May 10, 2016, 11:43 p.m.

As I opened up nsmb's front page I was shocked.

I have never met him in person, but his energy and skills, and his determination could literally be felt when watching him. My little one has been inspired by him all the time.

I am really sad.

May your family and friends find the strength to carry on, and may you ride in peace, brother.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 11, 2016, midnight

Just wake up this morning and the first news I looked at on Facebook is that. :(
Not a good news to start your day.
As a father I'm thinking about his family, 26 is way too young to die.

2016 is not a good year definitively

RIP Stevie
:S

May 11, 2016, 1:51 a.m.

Rip Stevie,

I often remember the awkward gondola ride with him and Tim the Freak.

May 11, 2016, 3:24 a.m.

Gone too soon. Speechless.

May 11, 2016, 12:12 p.m.

Still can't believe the news and also that he was only 26. Extra sad because he was on a solid comeback this season but really the thoughts are for his family and friends :(. Hope there are some good tributes at the next WC race and Crankworx this year.