Squamish Trail Guiding

Jan. 22, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

i would imagine the target audience would be visitors from europe or overseas..

canadians will just grab a six pack and start stomping around.. we see it here all the time…

Jan. 22, 2014, 8:43 a.m.

A few people have tried.

http://www.seatoskyadventurecompany.com/guided-biking-tours.html

Jan. 22, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

3 hrs $150?

like whoa…

Jan. 22, 2014, 11:07 a.m.

Pretty sure you need recreational tenure to guide people in Squamish. Also pretty sure sea to sky adventure company and maybe bear back biking? paid the government money to get tenure to do what you are talking about.

among many others…..

Jan. 22, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

Pretty sure you need recreational tenure to guide people in Squamish. Also pretty sure sea to sky adventure company and maybe bear back biking? paid the government money to get tenure to do what you are talking about.

Yup, absolutely. Some outfits have been better than others [ see next post ;) ] in going through official channels to register their business for that. Also worth considering how the business might kick back to those that actually work (largely for nothing) to build the trails (i.e. SORCA). There have been a few outfits around that have neither secured official tenure, nor done anything whatsoever to support the those that make the trail system possible. They haven't exactly endeared themselves to those that put in the hours. There's certainly no attempt to scare off entrepreneurs or keep the trails for local use only. It's more about protecting the commons, and if someone wants to make personal profit off the trails (directly), it only seems fair that they contribute through the established formal channels.
That being said, in regard to your original question. I think there is certainly a market for trail-guiding. However, your user group will not likely be found on this forum. It really would come down to networking and marketing. You could probably get a good idea of what it takes by working with and established guide company (if you haven't already). This may also provide insight to issues about insurance and other nitty gritty. I know several people that have had similar dreams. Several of them did it a while, then got tired of dragging sorry Euros (no offense intended) up and down easy peasy green-blue trails and listening to them whine, after hearing a big build up about how hard they are and how they like to ride technical. It's not always the dream of shredding with rad folks, trail beers, and making friends. You have to love pleasing people, have a high whine tolerance, know first aid, and reeeeeaaaaallly love changing flat tires.

Jan. 22, 2014, 12:30 p.m.

i'm sitting beside the proprietor of bearback right now . they've gone through all the channels , got the tenure , got the insurance , help out maintaining the resource .

it ain't cheap , and it ain't easy . if you figure out the hourly wage , yer prolly better off working at mc dicks .

Jan. 22, 2014, 12:41 p.m.

i'm sitting beside the proprietor of bearback right now . they've gone through all the channels , got the tenure , got the insurance , help out maintaining the resource .

it ain't cheap , and it ain't easy . if you figure out the hourly wage , yer prolly better off working at mc dicks .

I helped Mark and Jonny with their application, doing it right definitely takes a lot of effort and patience!

Jan. 22, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

I've always had good luck getting tips/guiding from locals in Squamish, among other places.
If you're friendly and enthusiastic, I've found most riders are stoked to share their local knowledge, free of charge

Jan. 22, 2014, 1:16 p.m.

Bunch o' dreamkillers.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 22, 2014, 6:29 p.m.

that ain't me 'box , :lol: , i just wanna see the guy get in the game and do it right .

Jan. 22, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

A big part of the appeal of MTB'ing for me is discovering and exploring new trails. Pouring over the map, getting info from bike shops and advice from local riders is all part of the fun. No paid guides for me. I expect this is the case for many riders.

Jan. 22, 2014, 9:33 p.m.

Find the right market and you can be successful for sure.

A good friend of mine Yoshi runs a tour operation all over BC for Japanese tourists. He does lots in Squamish.

http://www.rodeocircus.net

Jan. 23, 2014, 8:50 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback guys… It's much appreciated.

Give me a like :)