Squamish just ain't what it used to be

July 14, 2020, 8:17 a.m.

sometimes braids indicate the original trail line isn't that good.... as a builder I've learned to look at braids and see if the braid is actually better. Most times it is.  Builders don't always get it right the first time.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on July 14, 2020, 8:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 14, 2020, 9:20 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

sometimes braids indicate the original trail line isn't that good.... as a builder I've learned to look at braids and see if the braid is actually better. Most times it is.  Builders don't always get it right the first time.

I think this is often overlooked on the topic if braids, especially on older Shore trails.

July 14, 2020, 10:39 a.m.

Thank you. Mentioned this a few pages back, caught flack from the trail police. No need to get bent out of shape because the braid flows better. Give the old line back to forest. As I said before, it’s just the natural evolution of a trail.

July 14, 2020, 11:04 a.m.

Lots of braids "flow better." They are created because some jackass wants to cut 1 second off their strava time. It is usually a more direct route but it doesn't take into account the speed the trailbuilder intended riders to be going or water drainage and erosion issues. Braids develop because of selfish riders who don't want to slow down to ride a technical part of a trail who would rather use their enormous bike to plow through rough terrain. I think it's hard to argue that visitors to an area see a line that's been ridden once through rough terrain vs a perfect trail choose the rough one because they are "confused" as to which one is correct. Yes after a million people ride the braid it is hard to tell but the people who create and develop the braid are likely selfish assholes. Sorry, but it's true.

July 14, 2020, 1:39 p.m.

So when you see a braid you assume it’s a Strava asshole? Or an e biker? That’s a pretty narrow point of view. Sorry, but it’s true.

July 14, 2020, 2:23 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Lots of braids "flow better." They are created because some jackass wants to cut 1 second off their strava time. It is usually a more direct route but it doesn't take into account the speed the trailbuilder intended riders to be going or water drainage and erosion issues. Braids develop because of selfish riders who don't want to slow down to ride a technical part of a trail who would rather use their enormous bike to plow through rough terrain. I think it's hard to argue that visitors to an area see a line that's been ridden once through rough terrain vs a perfect trail choose the rough one because they are "confused" as to which one is correct. Yes after a million people ride the braid it is hard to tell but the people who create and develop the braid are likely selfish assholes. Sorry, but it's true.

You are assuming they have the time to size up the options and decide which way to go.  If you take a corner too fast or too slow for what comes next you can go off the intended line pretty easily.  I have no idea what everyone's reasons are, I am just saying this has happened to me and I am sure I am not alone.

July 14, 2020, 3 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

As mentioned before not all the time.  The builder can get it wrong the first time, especially if they are new to the game. I've also found if they are slow riders, they sometimes don't make the right decision(s) for flow.  Nothing worse than having a great flow section and then coming to a grinding halt for a bad corner....  It's like having a stop sign on a race track.

July 14, 2020, 6:02 p.m.

The builder can get it wrong the first time, especially if they are new to the game. I've also found if they are slow riders, they sometimes don't make the right decision(s) for flow.  Nothing worse than having a great flow section and then coming to a grinding halt for a bad corner....  It's like having a stop sign on a race track.

A great illustration of my point. If the builder "got it wrong" it is their prerogative to change it, not yours or mine. The fact that a builder volunteered their time and effort to build a trail for us to enjoy and then you come along and reroute their hard work because it's not the way you want it. Worse, if you are going so fast that you cannot make the turn, the problem is not the trail. Not all trails are "race tracks" as you put it. In fact, almost none are. They are actually for everyone's enjoyment and shouldn't be ruined by braiding because your flow gets interrupted by what you deem to be a "bad corner."

As for the Strava asshole moniker - that is being applied liberally to anyone riding like they are racing Strava (even if they aren't). If you are going so fast you can't make the corners in the trail or stop for oncoming traffic if needed - I'll just lump you in with the Strava Assholes. I could just call them assholes if you like it better. I don't want to be narrow minded.

I never mentioned ebikers in relation to strava assholes. That is an association you are making.

July 14, 2020, 6:09 p.m.

Go back and read some of your previous posts, I did. And what happens when the original builder is long gone? There are LOTS of builders who cut a line only to abandon it to move on to the next build.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 14, 2020, 6:12 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 14, 2020, 6:17 p.m.

As mentioned before not all the time.  The builder can get it wrong the first time, especially if they are new to the game. I've also found if they are slow riders, they sometimes don't make the right decision(s) for flow.  Nothing worse than having a great flow section and then coming to a grinding halt for a bad corner....  It's like having a stop sign on a race track.

I have to disagree with that in some respects. The trail is what it is and riders should adjust to make it flow as best it can. Changes in speed are just another skill to learn. The number of roots, rocks, etc that have been removed from trails lately to make it "flow" is pretty disheartening.

July 15, 2020, 10:15 a.m.

Posted by: DangerousDave

As mentioned before not all the time. The builder can get it wrong the first time, especially if they are new to the game. I've also found if they are slow riders, they sometimes don't make the right decision(s) for flow. Nothing worse than having a great flow section and then coming to a grinding halt for a bad corner.... It's like having a stop sign on a race track.

I have to disagree with that in some respects. The trail is what it is and riders should adjust to make it flow as best it can. Changes in speed are just another skill to learn. The number of roots, rocks, etc that have been removed from trails lately to make it "flow" is pretty disheartening.

I've liked the recent changes to the trails like Corkscrew, Pingu and Empress Bypass. Bikes have changed for the better so some of the trails need to adapt as well (also for water management)). I've been riding the Shore for 25 years and don't miss the no flow jank. As a rider, nothing is worse than having a good flow then all of a sudden you have to slow way down and then back up to speed.

The 90's are over.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on July 15, 2020, 10:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2020, 11:50 a.m.

Remember back in the 90s when it was all about skinnies and teeter totters and now it's not? That's the evolution of the sport being reflected in the style of trails. Braids are just that imo. Speeds are increasing and lines are changing just like skinnies are being forgotten about in exchange for berms.

July 15, 2020, 2:36 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Remember back in the 90s when it was all about skinnies and teeter totters and now it's not? That's the evolution of the sport being reflected in the style of trails. Braids are just that imo. Speeds are increasing and lines are changing just like skinnies are being forgotten about in exchange for berms.

Yup...  can't live in the past forever.  Trails like Bullet Dodger and CRC are way better than Bean and Nescafe on the new bikes.

July 15, 2020, 2:45 p.m.

I still like “no flow jank” and miss it almost every time someone takes it out in the name of “flow” or, worse, to accommodate long low slack bikes with big wheels.

July 15, 2020, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I still like “no flow jank” and miss it almost every time someone takes it out in the name of “flow” or, worse, to accommodate long low slack bikes with big wheels.

still lots of those trails around. But you are in a minority.  #26erforlife died years ago.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on July 15, 2020, 2:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.