Squamish just ain't what it used to be

June 28, 2020, 8:12 p.m.

Sport has grown enough. Time to cull the herd. 

Biking is the new golf/skiing/hip thing to do. 

I’m sure it’ll reach its imploding point in a few years. Very unsustainable business model “bold new graphics” Year in year our.

June 28, 2020, 8:17 p.m.

“How elitist of you!”

*clutches pearls*

June 28, 2020, 8:39 p.m.

spoken like a true emopeder.

If you built the trail, then by all means you can decide if a better line should be cut. If you didn't build the trail, don't go off "improving it" without permission. Even if your 60lb moped has trouble with the tight turns.

As for ebikers being more capable going up, I find people who ride emopeds are more often fairly poor technically. It is a real hassle when they want to pass you on the climb and you catch them 1/3 of the way down the descent.

June 28, 2020, 9:35 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

spoken like a true emopeder.

If you built the trail, then by all means you can decide if a better line should be cut. If you didn't build the trail, don't go off "improving it" without permission. Even if your 60lb moped has trouble with the tight turns.

As for ebikers being more capable going up, I find people who ride emopeds are more often fairly poor technically. It is a real hassle when they want to pass you on the climb and you catch them 1/3 of the way down the descent.

Who said anything about cutting a new line. Sometimes these lines evolve over time. I’ve seen it lots over my years of riding. And don’t worry, after I pass you, the only time you will see me is when I pass you again.

June 29, 2020, 8:22 a.m.

Posted by: Mike.T

I ride in Squamish more than anywhere else. Im always surprised by how few people I see on the trails, despite how busy the parking areas might be.  

+1

I always read stuff like this thread on the internet about Squamish getting way too crowded and popular, etc. and then when I end up riding there I expect to see hoards of people but I only ever see a handful of people on the trails. I actually prefer to see more people out on the trails, improves the "vibe" IMO.

June 29, 2020, 8:36 a.m.

To me, more people = a good time, even if they do it differently than I do, as long as they’re not jerks.

Some days I look like the rich “new golf” kinda rider, other days I pull up in my 18 year old Subaru, it sure would be shitty if I had to start worrying about how people judge me based on my choice of car or bike that day.

Luckily judgemental people’s opinions only matter in their own heads.

Last edited by: tashi on June 29, 2020, 8:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 29, 2020, 9:23 a.m.

I would gladly boycott Strava, but I use it as my ride log and to compare my times on various segments.  Is there a better alternative to that?  

As for the e-bikes, I don't mind them if they make trails more accessible for some people, especially the old-timers, but I had a couple of guys half my age and fit looking blast past me yesterday and my buddy and I both agreed that the only way that would acceptable is if they were loaded up with tools (and not the ones riding the bikes).  Overall though, I didn't see that many of them and it was busy by the time I was leaving.  This was at the lot below Half Nelson.

June 29, 2020, 10:40 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I would gladly boycott Strava, but I use it as my ride log and to compare my times on various segments.  Is there a better alternative to that?  

Trailforks

June 29, 2020, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

Trailforks

I already use Trailforks but I didn't think it recorded times for trails or segments.  I don't care about my time, but I like to see them in aggregate and see if I am improving, especially on climbs since I am perpetually trying to get in shape.  :)

June 29, 2020, 12:33 p.m.

Trailforks

I already use Trailforks but I didn't think it recorded times for trails or segments.  I don't care about my time, but I like to see them in aggregate and see if I am improving, especially on climbs since I am perpetually trying to get in shape.  :)

round is a shape

June 29, 2020, 12:33 p.m.

Trailforks

go to Leaderboard then My Results for your times on segments (although the segments might not match what you consider to be "the trail")

June 29, 2020, 1:25 p.m.

Trailforks

go to Leaderboard then My Results for your times on segments (although the segments might not match what you consider to be "the trail")

That works for me.  Thanks.

Posted by: syncro

round is a shape

Like a snake that ate a tennis ball.

June 29, 2020, 2:29 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Do people still think that growth of the sport by encouraging folks to get ebikes is good? Or growth at all?

I'll all for getting the Infirm or those with physical limitations out riding. But entitled dickheads who refuse to respect decades of etiquette established with landowners, municipalities and trailbuilders can F off.

June 30, 2020, 8:20 a.m.

To me braids are easy lines not created by the builder. There are alternative lines around stunts built by the trail builders. Then there are ( my oppinion) people who lack the skill and cut an easy line.  Entrails in Squamish suffers from this as well as every Shore trail. 

I'm the guy that diligently blocks off braids no matter how many times some pathetic twit removes the barrier. 

Strava is for self preening douchebag s .

June 30, 2020, 8:22 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: andy-eunson

I was chatting with a local builder the other day. He had a fat tired ebike that he motorized himself. Throttled and massively powerful. Gives him quicker access for building. But boy did he ever go off on those that ride them with no reason other than to ride more. We had been talking about his trail and the fact that riders had been cutting in at the halfway point to avoid the fantastic aesthetic single climb because it was too hard.

Do people still think that growth of the sport by encouraging folks to get ebikes is good? Or growth at all?

I’m going to assume the riders cutting in half way are on regular bikes? Certainly for an emtb this fantastic climb wouldn’t be too hard. It also sounds like your builder friend is unfamiliar with the word hypocrisy.

I think in some cases a “braid” is just the natural evolution of a trail. Sometimes it could be a ride around and other times it is just a better line that was simply missed when the trail was cut.

The ebike is for getting to the build area with tools and for saving energy for the build. No hypocrisy at all.