Squamish just ain't what it used to be

July 15, 2020, 2:56 p.m.

Variety is the spice of life...I like a mix of fast n flowy with some slow and janky, and it's nice to have the skills to deal with both types of trails.

Life would be very boring if all trails rode the same way!

July 15, 2020, 3:17 p.m.

Rode in Squamish yesterday. Hadn't been there since pre covid outbreak. Not many people around, those that were out riding were super friendly. Had a really good day of riding....thanks Squamish.

July 15, 2020, 5:35 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Posted by: tashi

I still like “no flow jank” and miss it almost every time someone takes it out in the name of “flow” or, worse, to accommodate long low slack bikes with big wheels.

still lots of those trails around. But you are in a minority.  #26erforlife died years ago.

Yes Plenty to be found if you know where to look; I still see it as a loss whenever it disappears.

26” wheels are gross, give me the niner every time!

July 16, 2020, 10:14 a.m.

to the people advocating braids for trails that were cut when bikes were super shitty ... the solution is not changing a couple corners.  the solution is a whole new trail.  we're not going to braid our way from old-school trails to proper new school lines.

so how about leaving the old-school stuff alone?  we've already lost enough of it.

July 16, 2020, 10:15 p.m.

Posted by: oldmanbuilder

to the people advocating braids for trails that were cut when bikes were super shitty ... the solution is not changing a couple corners.  the solution is a whole new trail.  we're not going to braid our way from old-school trails to proper new school lines.

so how about leaving the old-school stuff alone?  we've already lost enough of it.

Nobody is advocating braids, just explaining them.

July 17, 2020, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: oldmanbuilder

Totally agree, and ffs, can we please stick to the trail instead of braiding it a new straightline?  Especially if you're a pro rider flogging E-bikes on classic shore trails.

Case in point, how long do you think till the straightlines over/through the edge of the trail are fully worn in at 0.11,  0.12, 1.45, 1.47, 4.02, and 5.31?   I'll give him 2.49, that's a good debating point on where the logical trail should have been, but the log is rotted out at the end, therefore a sharp right instead.  it's the first two that really get my goat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deShhgaRQ3s

Yes, Gully, I'm calling you out to showcase clean riding.  You might be jumping over some sections, but the jongs behind you are just following your tracks over the moss and ferns.  First youtube comment - "That was insane! So fast. So many lines down boogieman that I didn't even realize you could do."

Thanks though, for your 7th & UOC laps, they were clean.  I'm sure Pete appreciates it!

July 17, 2020, 12:20 p.m.

Yup...  can't live in the past forever.  Trails like Bullet Dodger and CRC are way better than Bean and Nescafe on the new bikes.

Way better because they're different or better because they don't require as much skill and effort to ride a new school bike on an old school trail?

Dave got it right with the idea that flow is less about the trail and more about the rider. Sometimes flow is easy due to the trail and sometimes it's hard due to the trail, but the idea that flow is somehow better or only exists on new trails like CRC and not on trails like Bean is just misguided. Just because a rider has difficulty with a trail or section of trail doesn't mean the trail doesn't have flow. Flow is not always about speed, IMHO flow is really about the transitions between sections of trail and how the rider works with the trail. That doesn't mean a trail has to be consistent in style or speed, it just means that consecutive sections of a trail need to work together and the rider has the skill necessary to put it all together.

July 17, 2020, 12:27 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Totally agree, and ffs, can we please stick to the trail instead of braiding it a new straightline?  Especially if you're a pro rider flogging E-bikes on classic shore trails.

Case in point, how long do you think till the straightlines over/through the edge of the trail are fully worn in at 0.11,  0.12, 1.45, 1.47, 4.02, and 5.31?   I'll give him 2.49, that's a good debating point on where the logical trail should have been, but the log is rotted out at the end, therefore a sharp right instead.  it's the first two that really get my goat.

Yes, Gully, I'm calling you out to showcase clean riding.  You might be jumping over some sections, but the jongs behind you are just following your tracks over the moss and ferns.  First youtube comment - "That was insane! So fast. So many lines down boogieman that I didn't even realize you could do."

Thanks though, for your 7th & UOC laps, they were clean.  I'm sure Pete appreciates it!

Wait, I thought skinnies were no longer cool anymore? He seemed to really like the skinny section at the 1 min mark.

July 17, 2020, 12:32 p.m.

he's killin' the skinnies, with the weight of a motor!

July 17, 2020, 5:32 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Yup...  can't live in the past forever.  Trails like Bullet Dodger and CRC are way better than Bean and Nescafe on the new bikes.

Way better because they're different or better because they don't require as much skill and effort to ride a new school bike on an old school trail?

Dave got it right with the idea that flow is less about the trail and more about the rider. Sometimes flow is easy due to the trail and sometimes it's hard due to the trail, but the idea that flow is somehow better or only exists on new trails like CRC and not on trails like Bean is just misguided. Just because a rider has difficulty with a trail or section of trail doesn't mean the trail doesn't have flow. Flow is not always about speed, IMHO flow is really about the transitions between sections of trail and how the rider works with the trail. That doesn't mean a trail has to be consistent in style or speed, it just means that consecutive sections of a trail need to work together and the rider has the skill necessary to put it all together.

CRC is a new trail?

July 17, 2020, 5:58 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

CRC is a new trail?

well new style so to speak vs the old skool tight tech of bean/vic's etc

July 17, 2020, 6:42 p.m.

I remember back in the day we would ride that trail right down to the Golden Ears for a beer and a stripper.

Now that said , most trails on Burke are good examples of trails that over time have evolved, mostly for the better. Trails, like most things in nature evolve.

July 17, 2020, 7:14 p.m.

Now that said , most trails on Burke are good examples of trails that over time have evolved, mostly for the better. Trails, like most things in nature evolve.

Most trails? I guess it depends which part of the mtn you ride, but it seems to me that few of the original trails have evolved that much and that the "evolution" has mostly occurred on newerish trails. Plenty of older lines all over have been modified a bit to become newer school, but imo it's kind of hard to turn classic old school into new school unless you significantly change the line. Expresso comes to mind as that type of significant change. As to when/how that evolution has happened, there's one trail at the Woodlot that kind of stands out, to me anyways, as sort of the dividing line between old and new school here in the lower mainland.

July 18, 2020, 5:15 a.m.

As for Burke I think Triple Crown or elevator would be fair examples. You are pretty accurate about some of the old and out of the way lines are still pretty close to their original line. Sawblade comes to mind. As far as the Woodlot goes, take your pick. I’ve ridden the woodlot for over twenty years and I can’t think of one trail there that hasn’t evolved in some way. But don’t leave me hanging, which trail?

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 18, 2020, 5:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 18, 2020, 12:50 p.m.

As for Burke I think Triple Crown or elevator would be fair examples. You are pretty accurate about some of the old and out of the way lines are still pretty close to their original line. Sawblade comes to mind. As far as the Woodlot goes, take your pick. I’ve ridden the woodlot for over twenty years and I can’t think of one trail there that hasn’t evolved in some way. But don’t leave me hanging, which trail?

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the lower Burke trails, I'd much rather ride the west side like Bean et all. I haven't been out to Woodlot in a while but agree there's been lots of progression/evolution out there, but I also think some of that has to do with the terrain and the way the original lines were cut. Can't really say that for the older Burke stuff. As for which Woodlot trail, maybe I'll tell you if we ever get out for a ride some day ;) My thoughts there tho are of course influenced by a number of things, including riding friends at the time, what I was riding, etc.