Squamish - cougar attack updates

June 16, 2009, 8:28 p.m.

If you weren't aware, there have been cougars hanging out near the town. Here's a couple of articles. I looks like a cougar was hanging out up at the top of the chief picking off hiker's dogs:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/06/15/bc-squamish-cougar-attacks.html

Also, sad news:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/06/16/bc-cougar-attack-squamish.html

Hope it's not too serious, but a heli ride to Vancouver suggests otherwise.

I did almost 4 hours of XC in Squish on Sunday, didn't see cougars … saw two bears though. One of 'em was one of the biggest black bears I've ever seen!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 16, 2009, 8:59 p.m.

According to CKNW a 3 year old child was attacked tonight and is in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

June 16, 2009, 9:02 p.m.

some of those comments are friggin ridiculous

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

June 17, 2009, 9:04 a.m.

its sad that the girl got attacked, but its sadder that people want to cull the cougars. as we encroach on forest land / wildlife territory, stuff like this is gonna happen.
it's june, cougars have lots of mouths to feed, so be careful out there.
i love cougars…awesome looking animals, but scary as hell!

June 17, 2009, 9:24 a.m.

Hope it's not too serious, but a heli ride to Vancouver suggests otherwise.

I don't see any mention of a heli-ride to Vancouver? The article (for what its worth! The CBC's news reporting seriously going downhill over the past few years) mentions that she was treated in the local hospital.
However, a lot of smaller hospitals (Squamish included) have limited imaging modalities (ex no CT scanner etc) and patients need transfer for diagnostics. A transfer doesn't necessarily mean something ominious is happening.

June 17, 2009, 10:27 a.m.

there was no transfer. the heli was called prematurely. she's in squamish doing ok.
too much hype and fear-mongering going on lately.
however, it almost makes me think twice about doing trailwork alone with my dog.

June 17, 2009, 11:11 a.m.

i would have loved to been there to see that mother yank a cougar off her own child . . . that's mothering instinct in action . probably not something she would have dreamed of doing in as million years , but when you are faced with a situation like that , the inner warrior comes out .

that's going to make for a great story to tell the grand kids .

June 17, 2009, 10:50 p.m.

Lets see, you take your cougar food out into the forest at cougar feeding time and when the cougar tries to eat it, the cougar has done something wrong?

June 18, 2009, 8:49 a.m.

This is (one of?) the cats that had to be destroyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EurvBPV_8YU

-m

June 18, 2009, 10:36 a.m.

Jesus and I was going to pick up a knife and pepper spray just for commuting through Surrey. Sounds like it's might come in handy in ye olde woods too.

Wrong. Always.

June 18, 2009, 11:32 a.m.

Lets see, you take your cougar food out into the forest at cougar feeding time and when the cougar tries to eat it, the cougar has done something wrong?

Assumptions like this truly amaze me. Please feel free to reference any part of any post in this thread that suggests a cougar has "done something wrong".

The whole point here is to highlight that there is higher than usual activity from cougars in and around Squamish, so keep your eyes open and be careful.

Cheeeze.

Kn.

June 18, 2009, 11:33 a.m.

Jesus and I was going to pick up a knife and pepper spray just for commuting through Surrey.

Say hi to Jesus for me!

Kn.

June 18, 2009, 12:40 p.m.

This is (one of?) the cats that had to be destroyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EurvBPV_8YU

-m

Wow. Someone is lookin' for lunch. How did videographer get so close without spooking the cougar?

That is eery in itself, when animals lose their fear of humans.

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

June 18, 2009, 12:57 p.m.

Jesus and I was going to pick up a knife and pepper spray just for commuting through Surrey. Sounds like it's might come in handy in ye olde woods too.

May I recommend a BIG knife?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 18, 2009, 9:20 p.m.

Assumptions like this truly amaze me. Please feel free to reference any part of any post in this thread that suggests a cougar has "done something wrong".

The whole point here is to highlight that there is higher than usual activity from cougars in and around Squamish, so keep your eyes open and be careful.

Cheeeze.

Kn.

There has been "higher than usual" activity for at least 2 years….but the co's and rcmp had chosen to hope the problem would go away….not likely.

Big props for the Mayor and council for not showing up to the news conference about the issue at district hall last night btw.

Pastor of Muppets