Sombrio out of business?

Nov. 30, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

Very sad to hear how this has gone down. Having investors tell you that you need to go big, messing up the plan and then yanking the rug has to be heartbreaking.

I have a massive amount of respect for Dave and everyone who has been involved in Sombrio over the years. I have always appreciated the way Sombrio has pushed the boundaries while remaining true to the soul of the sport.

Hopefully a wily investor will see the strength of the brand Dave has built up and put some long term support in place.

Long live Sombrio!

Nov. 30, 2013, 2:05 p.m.

Were the consultants freshly minted MBA graduates with no real-world experience?

I believe the consultants were www.instituteb.com, they used to refer to sombrio on their website(now removed). Looks like they tried to apply their Lululemon experience.

Nov. 30, 2013, 3:05 p.m.

Good story in a thread filled with negativity? So making up some BS about our brand is a good thing?

March 7th 2013 we got a 'general inquiry' via our website…I will admit many of these go with no reply, but this one I remember reading the email, taking the time out to check the site, and send a response, the resonse was (as I just pulled from my outlook):

**_From: Craig Glaspell [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:54 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: TLD

Thanks for reaching out guys, nothing I can do for ya at this time, but thanks for reaching out.
Good luck.

Craig "Stikman" Glaspell
Troy Lee Designs - Marketing/Brand Manager, Bicycle Division

(951) 371-5219 x237
skype | stiksandstones_**

I do not see where the above reply constitutes as telling you to F@CK OFF!??? Not cool to post lies about myself or the brand I represent.

Anyways, we at TLD are bummed to hear about Sombrio, Dave is a good guy who had a good idea and we do hope for the best with him and the brand.

Signed,
Stikman from TLD.

booom

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Nov. 30, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

Good story in a thread filled with negativity? So making up some BS about our brand is a good thing?

March 7th 2013 we got a 'general inquiry' via our website…I will admit many of these go with no reply, but this one I remember reading the email, taking the time out to check the site, and send a response, the resonse was (as I just pulled from my outlook):

**_From: Craig Glaspell [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:54 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: TLD

Thanks for reaching out guys, nothing I can do for ya at this time, but thanks for reaching out.
Good luck.

Craig "Stikman" Glaspell
Troy Lee Designs - Marketing/Brand Manager, Bicycle Division

(951) 371-5219 x237
skype | stiksandstones_**

I do not see where the above reply constitutes as telling you to F@CK OFF!??? Not cool to post lies about myself or the brand I represent.

Anyways, we at TLD are bummed to hear about Sombrio, Dave is a good guy who had a good idea and we do hope for the best with him and the brand.

Signed,
Stikman from TLD.

Just wanted to apologize for this. In no way was what I said about TLD or Craig accurate and it should in no way be quoted. I was totally in the wrong and shouldn't have posted that. Once again, sorry.

Nov. 30, 2013, 3:57 p.m.

At least they can never take this away from Dave.

Nov. 30, 2013, 6:24 p.m.

I wanted to support Sombrio and I hope they come back full force.

You could write a pretty good University paper on this.

-Sizing. They need to address the sizing. XXL Jersey when I wear a large in other brands? Shorts off as well. I mentioned it a couple times but I think it fell on deaf ears. Had the sizing been consistent with the competition ordering online would be that much easier.
-Website. Way too confusing. A "show all" function seems common sense but their site was all over the place.
-Attitude. Great staff from what I gathered but there seemed to be a bit of attitude coming from the top…
-Quality. I didn't have any problems but I sure heard about others having issues.
-Design. Some great design but the graphics only appealed to a small segment.
-Availability. Local brand but you couldn't find it anywhere or a decent selection.

Nov. 30, 2013, 7:41 p.m.

:lol: About Narth Americans bitching about sizing being off

For myself, their sizing has been pretty consistent with other brands I wear, it got a bit confusing when fits included: FRD, FRD Slim and Epik

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 1, 2013, 9:49 a.m.

i did not know that dave sombrio guy was the same guy that jumped over the T de F .

i think that was a great stunt by the way .

as for the sombrio thing , i have two pairs of long pants that i have worn for pretty much everything including grovelling in the dirt and they are showing like 0 % wear . the fabric and stitching is top quality .

Dec. 1, 2013, 10:04 a.m.

Sombrio stuff is still being blown out at https://www.gogear.ca/ …might be your last chance to grab some.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 1, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

Man, I just ordered some stuff on the clear out, and now I'm worried about fit. I wear a medium in everything. I checked their size chart, and the numbers lined up perfectly for me….

Anyway, just musing out loud. I have friends that are smaller than me if necessary… Carry on with your day.

Dec. 2, 2013, 9:16 a.m.

At least they can never take this away from Dave.

Indeed. I always liked this angle of the jump:

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 2, 2013, 10:10 a.m.

If they were consistent watchers of Dragon's Den, they would know that going large into their own retail stores is a huge NO NO. InstituteB should watch more Dragon's Den.

I like my DH shorts and pants from Sombrio. But yes, my merino jersey fits like it was a long dress though.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Dec. 2, 2013, 10:43 a.m.

If they were consistent watchers of Dragon's Den, they would know that going large into their own retail stores is a huge NO NO. InstituteB should watch more Dragon's Den.

I like my DH shorts and pants from Sombrio. But yes, my merino jersey fits like it was a long dress though.

walk into dragons den and say u wanna open a retail clothing store..

watch how fast those rich guys fold tents and say "im out"

they HATE retail stores, any venture that wants that usualy sees them not even give the venture seeker a chance to pitch his/hers idea.

Dec. 2, 2013, 10:49 a.m.

walk into dragons den and say u wanna open a retail clothing store..

watch how fast those rich guys fold tents and say "im out"

they HATE retail stores, any venture that wants that usualy sees them not even give the venture seeker a chance to pitch his/hers idea.

I bet planB for InstituteB was a mountain biking board game.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Dec. 2, 2013, 1:21 p.m.

Institute B needs to spend a few minutes reviewing their ideas… looking at the wayback machine, indeed they highlighted Sombrio as a client, as was Verticrop who's website shows nothing past Feb 2013, but pretty active up till then… http://www.alterrus.ca/news/media-coverage/ Same story with Sirewall, which has gone pretty quiet too on their social media and news pages….

maybe someone needs to take Institute B to court…

http://web.archive.org/web/20120616111619/http://www.instituteb.com/index.php/our-work

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com