So, the Grouse Grind has hired rangers "to keep an eye on hikers"

May 27, 2015, 7:11 a.m.

I once asked Tim Jones about the grind. His response was that he thought it should be NSRs responsibility but that the fire department fought them on it because they wanted the feather in their cap. (his words paraphrased not mine).

That makes sense to me - at the same time, I dont really see it as much to get bent out of shape about….you should see what's going on with tax dollars in Ontario right now…

May 27, 2015, 8:20 a.m.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/Grouse+Grind+Mountaintop+resort+profits+from+trail+paid/9964164/story.html

May 27, 2015, 8:56 a.m.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/Grouse+Grind+Mountaintop+resort+profits+from+trail+paid/9964164/story.html

That is incredible. But god forbid the city spend money on bike trails.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 27, 2015, 9:39 a.m.

That is incredible. But god forbid the city spend money on bike trails.

you mean the city that benefits from the volunteer labour that builds and maintains the trails?

May 27, 2015, 10:09 a.m.

you mean the city that benefits from the volunteer labour that builds and maintains the trails?

Do they just leave you to die out there when you need help? Does the city not pay into search and rescue for the trails you ride similarly to this? Genuine question, because I'm unsure…
But as far as I've ever understood, part of the reason all the trails are built by bikers for bikers is because lots of bikers want it that way in order to be able to build better/more aggressive trails than the city would support/maintain - due to liability and them perhaps not being too into the scene in general?
It takes in my opinion, a more experienced/knowledgeable person to build a good bike trail vs a hiking trail.

May 27, 2015, 10:15 a.m.

Do they just leave you to die out there when you need help? Does the city not pay into search and rescue for the trails you ride similarly to this? Genuine question, because I'm unsure…

http://www.northshorerescue.com/sponsors/fundraising/

But as far as I've ever understood, part of the reason all the trails are built by bikers for bikers is because lots of bikers want it that way in order to be able to build better/more aggressive trails than the city would support/maintain - due to liability and them perhaps not being too into the scene in general?
It takes in my opinion, a more experienced/knowledgeable person to build a good bike trail vs a hiking trail.

There's a whole history of how biking trails came into being on the North Shore that we don't need to go into in this thread.

May 27, 2015, 10:30 a.m.

Does it? Many hiking trails are shit but it's ok because everyone is an expert at walking.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 27, 2015, 11:53 a.m.

Does it? Many hiking trails are shit but it's ok because everyone is an expert at walking.

we had the local hiking group here oppose building multi-use trails because they 'cost too much to build, and you don't have to build hiking trails to that standard'…they actually said this, after repeatedly lobbying the RMOW and Province to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars rehabing and upgrading hiking only trails that weren't built to standard…..

May 27, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

Once again, great reporting, National Post. I bet those leeches on Grouse Mountain didn't pay for Capilano Road or the Upper Levels Highway, either. What an outrage. [/esarc] I live near a senior's facility - at least a couple of first responder calls a week (fire, police, ambulance). Often they leave without taking someone away. Should the seniors home have to pay for tying up emergency services?

…. the fire department fought them on it because they wanted the feather in their cap.

Hmmm … be careful what you wish for, I say to one of 3 redundant deputy fire chiefs of the North Shore (from the link above):

All the traffic on the Grind trail can tie up half the resources of the North Vancouver district’s fire department when they’re called to respond to emergencies.

Wayne Kennedy, the district’s deputy fire chief, says he responds to about 20 emergency calls from the grind a year.

The district sends two of its five pump-and-ladder trucks, its only rescue unit, a duty chief and 12 of its 27 firefighters for each call.

Sometimes they’re needed when they get there, sometimes they’re not. But even when they’re not, it can take up to three hours or more of their time.

May 27, 2015, 12:51 p.m.

Once again, great reporting, National Post. I bet those leeches on Grouse Mountain didn't pay for Capilano Road or the Upper Levels Highway

Probably not. But is METRO VAN is covering that? I would guess it's either Federal (hwy), Provincial, or at the very least, DNV tax covering maintenance on that.

But I respect your right to bring an Enduramil level of outrage to the thread. ;)

May 27, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

uh , I have a question . . . will the ranger have the authority to deny passage on the grind ?

I'm not one way or another on the issue , I'm just considering it ( a ) as a preventative measure , and ( b ) how GMR might not welcome such a measure as it could cut into revenue .

I've been on the grind a few times and I gotta say it is a testament to the power of the human spirit how some of those folks manage to drag themselves up there .

FWIW , the bcmc trail is a better walk , and you can walk down it . . . imagine that !

May 27, 2015, 2:34 p.m.

But I respect your right to bring an Enduramil level of outrage to the thread. ;)

I was being sarcastic. Is it really Grouse Mtn's fault that people do stupid things on and around their property? BTW if everybody took the Gondola up and down like Grouse probably WANTS them to, the NP wouldn't even have a story to print. The Grind is one of the "5 most dangerous trails in the World". Don't you think that perhaps if it was such a deathtrap and a money-suck for the munis, they should ban everyone from the trail on account of the xXx-treme danger, and make everyone take the Gondola up and down. I'm sure Grouse Mtn would have zero problem with that. Ka-Ching!

uh , I have a question . . . will the ranger have the authority to deny passage on the grind ?

Are you talking about a dress code? No jeans … collared shirt, tie and dress shoes. No exceptions. They will lend you a sportcoat if you don't come with a dinner jacket.

May 27, 2015, 3:33 p.m.

no , not quite what I had in mind dunc' :lol:

I'm thinking ill equipped , unfit , unprepared , etc .

it would be a tough call to make , and as I stated , I'm seen some pretty unlikely cases make it to the top , just so they could buy their way down .

we don't screen clients to ride the peak chair very often but when we do , a surprising number are actually happy to have someone tell them that the conditions are not good or that they don't appear to be equipped for the task .

May 27, 2015, 5:16 p.m.

no , not quite what I had in mind dunc' :lol:

I'm thinking ill equipped , unfit , unprepared , etc .

it would be a tough call to make , and as I stated , I'm seen some pretty unlikely cases make it to the top , just so they could buy their way down .

we don't screen clients to ride the peak chair very often but when we do , a surprising number are actually happy to have someone tell them that the conditions are not good or that they don't appear to be equipped for the task .

:grinno::grinno:

I was a Polar Peak lifty here at Fernie this winter, the handful of times I bluntly told someone they weren't getting on the chair definitely brought the humour for me and anger from them. It really seems people don't like to be told no, even when it can be because we are trying to save you from injury.