So the Burrard Bridge?

July 16, 2009, 9:14 a.m.

How's it doing? Opinions? Is this gonna work?

Worth me going to Granville in order to get to Cypress from UBC now?

July 16, 2009, 3:10 p.m.

what?!!
just ride your bike over Burrard, its shorter

July 16, 2009, 3:14 p.m.

Haven't noticed any of the dreaded traffic backups on Burrard…

Seems to be working OK. There have been reports of traffic backing up on Pacific but everything seemed fine on Burrard the last few days I've gone by on the bus (both directions AM [HTML_REMOVED] PM rush hour)

:canada: :czech:

July 16, 2009, 3:14 p.m.

It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen I go over there 2 or 3 times a day and have never seen more then 4or 5 riders in that laneI think there were far better solutions.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

July 16, 2009, 3:18 p.m.

It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen I go over there 2 or 3 times a day and have never seen more then 4or 5 riders in that laneI think there were far better solutions.

By far better I assume you mean that these solutions were more effective at maintaining biker and pedestrian safety, would be even less inconvenient to drivers than the minor inconvenience than the current solution, and at a lower cost than the relatively inexpensive price of what is now in place.

We're all ears.

iforonewelcome.com

July 16, 2009, 3:20 p.m.

Guess you must have gone over the bridge at another time then me 'cause on tuesday I counted 20 people over the span of the bridge…

July 16, 2009, 4:26 p.m.

We were talking about this the other night sitting on the beach at Third Beach…. the south end, not the hipster end (North).

Regardless of what people think about the lanes, it is simple a political statement to whomever is listening that Vancouver is serious about investing in bicycle travel. I for one am for it.

Is it the best answer, probably not. But it is a start and it tells people to expect the city to invest in bikes.

Kind of like the Community Garden at Davie and Burrard… which I think is amazing.

Sadly I was almost killed today on the commute into work on Bounddry when a Student Driver (who was driving) made the leefthand turn into me! All the instructor could say was "Oh!"

www.steedcycles.com

July 16, 2009, 4:41 p.m.

One of the negative statements I the experiment states is that we cyclists need special consideration at the expense of drivers and pedestrians who probably outnumber riders. IMHO, cyclists do not want special consideration but equal consideration and respect on the road from other users. I don't commute over that bridge currently but I did for years both with rush traffic and against. Never had a problem sharing the sidewalk. So I think it the whole thing is unnecessary. When school is back it will be worse.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 16, 2009, 4:52 p.m.

One of the negative statements I the experiment states is that we cyclists need special consideration at the expense of drivers and pedestrians who probably outnumber riders. IMHO, cyclists do not want special consideration but equal consideration and respect on the road from other users. I don't commute over that bridge currently but I did for years both with rush traffic and against. Never had a problem sharing the sidewalk. So I think it the whole thing is unnecessary. When school is back it will be worse.

Really? You should listen to these guys.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=124511[HTML_REMOVED]page=9

July 16, 2009, 10:16 p.m.

We were talking about this the other night sitting on the beach at Third Beach…. the south end, not the hipster end (North).

(side note) I read this earlier in the day a d thought " there's a hipster end to that beach?!". I rode the seawall with mykid in the baby seat and almost dumped both of us in the sand. A warning to all: DO NOT RIDE BY THE HIPSTER END OF THAT BEACH!! The naked tatooed boobies are very distracting and could cause you to loose balance.

iforonewelcome.com

July 17, 2009, 3:10 p.m.

If you build it they will come. Maybe the reason people don't commute is that its scary. I for one am not going to die to save the environment.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

July 17, 2009, 4 p.m.

Third Beach…. the south end, not the hipster end (North).

what

July 17, 2009, 4:22 p.m.

…RIDE BY THE HIPSTER END OF THAT BEACH!! The naked tatooed boobies are very distracting…

noted duly

July 17, 2009, 4:51 p.m.

I find this new bike lane to be proposterous. I have a giant SUV and the fact that I can't be boss hoggin and owning lanes is quite simply infuriating to me. All so that these so-called "commuters" have a little more elbow room.

July 17, 2009, 5:15 p.m.

Checked again on my way home yesterday. At 5:15pm, I counted 28 bikers going southbound in the time it took the bus to cross the bridge (there were an extra 4 waiting at the light). There were also lots going northbound, but I wasn't able to accurately count them…