So Is This the North Shore Now

July 26, 2015, 12:17 p.m.

Anybody have a video of the new Upper Dales?

July 26, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

Maps have been posted in other threads that show Dales is in fact on CMHC land and not Metro land. Why is Metro working on trails not in their jurisdiction?

July 26, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

It is pretty much the standard SOP of all City Parks type departments. Even better is their solution to any trail erosion……haul in large dump truck or gravel and bury it all under gravel. Then watch it move off the trails when the rains come.

Winning.

I love how metro goes to the effort of fencing off creeks from dogs (they just go around the fences anyways), but then regravels the trail next to it. First good rain and half the gravel is in the creek. Dumbasses

Metro Van also uses a mini vacuum truck and gas leaf blower crews to remove leaves from trails during fall. This started in the last five years or so. What a fucking waste of money, crew time, and gas! The vacuum truck also sucks up the top layer of loose gravel at least lol

July 26, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

I love how metro goes to the effort of fencing off creeks from dogs (they just go around the fences anyways), but then regravels the trail next to it. First good rain and half the gravel is in the creek. Dumbasses

Metro Van also uses a mini vacuum truck and gas leaf blower crews to remove leaves from trails during fall. This started in the last five years or so. What a fucking waste of money, crew time, and gas! The vacuum truck also sucks up the top layer of loose gravel at least lol

Believe me, this is not just a Metro Van thought process. It happens in every city in Canada almost like they follow the same plan.

Wait till they next ban bicycles on the grass yet allow heavy equipment to wreck it instead.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 26, 2015, 1:24 p.m.

Nothing wrong with the new Dale's work, it's just not in keeping with the flavour of the previous trail. The old line was over my head in a bunch of spots but still I rode it now and again. I would have gone a different way. Boogie Man and Pangor are still pretty old school though.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 26, 2015, 2 p.m.

Good one Oldfart…. I hear you. Just like life. Sometimes you have a good day…. other days not so much. Boy was it fun to clear Dales on a good day.

This is why I envy surf and skateboard culture. They respect the past before they move forward.

To me Dales represented the working mans extreme trail…. Wow I just said extreme.

July 26, 2015, 2:07 p.m.

This is why I envy surf and skateboard culture. They respect the past before they move forward.

this. ripping out iconic lines seems sacrilegious (or at least, should be). though (non biker) landowners / managers are oblivious to this history, and those in the community who are cognizant of / respect said history are a small minority, so it is what it is, alas.

July 26, 2015, 2:18 p.m.

Nothing wrong with the new Dale's work, it's just not in keeping with the flavour of the previous trail. The old line was over my head in a bunch of spots but still I rode it now and again. I would have gone a different way. Boogie Man and Pangor are still pretty old school though.

I disagree, maybe not the trail but it's location. Something like that does not belong on the shore. It's uggly, does not fit in the spirit of the shore. It's just wrong. Old dales was kick ass! What ever hapend to shore code of conduct. If you cant ride it come back when you can or leave it alone. Luckily some rock faces are still there.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

July 26, 2015, 2:24 p.m.

New dales is crazy boring, what a waste of elevation. It might be ok once people figure out some lines to jump from one corner to another and add some hits.

July 26, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

who defines what "the spirit of the shore" is, however? super tech stunt laden stuff like circus or gmg (when they were intact), the original (pre eroded, no stunt) loamers, or eroded, bombed out iterations of the above, or ?? i think there's room for a variety of building styles, as long as they're sustainable. playing devil's advocate a bit here.

again, though a bit incongruous, the new bit is a super brappy bit of fun. not sure how people construe it as boring. go faster, perhaps?

July 26, 2015, 2:47 p.m.

I don't mind the new upper dales (dont love or hate it) - the thing that bothers me is that they just paved over the old upper dales. Couldn't they have just built the new trail parallel to the old trail so you can chose which one you want to ride (like how they left the original entrance to Expresso intact)?

July 26, 2015, 3:16 p.m.

I can see the value/demand/fun of a trail like Dale's, but why build it in the heart of an area that offers so much natural potential?

Like good architecture, form should follow function. The most successful [HTML_REMOVED] classic pieces use the site for what it offers. It doesn't impose itself on the site.

Much like a terracotta tiled hacienda may be damned fine in SoCal, it just looks forced in the Pacific Northwest.

There is something to be said for the artistry of a line.

When in Moab, one expects/anticipates to ride the sandstone [HTML_REMOVED] open mesas.
When in Crested Butte, one expects/anticipates to ride rolling high mountain single track.

That said, if Dales is a one-off in order to give variety, that'd be OK….but as per the original poster's question, if this is the way that things are going, I strongly disagree.
I am not against progress [HTML_REMOVED] change (obviously…or I'd still be riding a Brodie Romax), but it should be have some proper context [HTML_REMOVED] local relevance.

July 26, 2015, 3:20 p.m.

who defines what "the spirit of the shore" is, however?

Certainly not me but that new trail is as far as you can get from the old one. If you want trails like that build them but not on an old clasic. Change some stuff that's "dangerous" I guess that's fine but the new dales is going to far.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

July 26, 2015, 3:36 p.m.

These trails are all about instant gratification with out the need to learn the skills it takes to ride real mountain bike trails. It's all about the status of saying "I'm a mountain biker" It's a lot like guys who dress like their favorite jock hoping some of the prestige will rub off.Might as well ride down the middle of mountain highway for all the difficulty there is.Ride Renegade and don't give in to this garbage.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

July 26, 2015, 3:45 p.m.

there's status in being a mountain biker? despite how hardcore we may think we are for riding "northshore gnar" the average person on the street still thinks of us as:

no use worrying about cred; it's just all about getting outside and having fun - no matter how core or not the trails you ride may be.