So Is This the North Shore Now

July 26, 2015, 3:03 a.m.

So I am probably not the one to complain since I have only done limited trail work in my life. But is the new upper dales trail where the shore is going?. Are we now going to walk machines up the mountain and cut 20 ft wide swaths through the mountain for boring b-line style berms? That is nothing like the shore that is Whistler. Why not keep the old line open as well, it was a great moderate black diamond track. As a geotechnical engineer I don't see anything unsustainable about the old line and see absolutely nothing sustainable about cutting a 20 ft wide swath through the woods for a berm trail that will erode as fast as anything else.

July 26, 2015, 8:06 a.m.

oh youve done it now..

fwiw the same thing happened on Seymours CBC.

sigh..

July 26, 2015, 8:35 a.m.

Hang on - I'll make more popcorn.

July 26, 2015, 8:44 a.m.

that's just the LSCR / Metro Van. outside of there things are looking great.

let's try to remember that the DNV is being awesome and is giving something like $100,000 to NSMBA to put into the trails this year alone.

July 26, 2015, 9:15 a.m.

Wait till the gravelize it all.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 26, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

Looks like it's ready to be paved. How they
going to get the concrete trucks up there.

July 26, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

Oh now I get it. That's what gravel racers are for!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 26, 2015, 9:42 a.m.

They gonna go all Pacific Spirit Park on that bitch! If there's one thing metro Van loves, it's gravel trails wide enough to drive a tank down!

July 26, 2015, 10:08 a.m.

So I am probably not the one to complain since I have only done limited trail work in my life. But is the new upper dales trail where the shore is going? What a horrible trail. Are we now going to walk machines up the mountain and cut 20 ft wide swaths through the mountain for boring b-line style berms? That is nothing like the shore that is Whistler. Why not keep the old line open as well, it was a great moderate black diamond track. As a geotechnical engineer I don't see anything unsustainable about the old line and see absolutely nothing sustainable about cutting a 20 ft wide swath through the woods for a boring trail that will erode as fast as anything else.

I'm with you.that trail is horible.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

July 26, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

They gonna go all Pacific Spirit Park on that bitch! If there's one thing metro Van loves, it's gravel trails wide enough to drive a tank down!

well were else are the guys on old 10-speeds supposed to ride ???

July 26, 2015, 10:18 a.m.

politics [HTML_REMOVED] trail building philosophies aside, i think that's a really fun bit of trail. and i like my shorebrochundergnar as much as the next guy. shrug.

July 26, 2015, 10:35 a.m.

politics [HTML_REMOVED] trail building philosophies aside, i think that's a really fun bit of trail. and i like my shorebrochundergnar as much as the next guy. shrug.

Agreed, the new climber, upper/lower Dale's, FA makes a nice loop with some good variety.

July 26, 2015, 11:20 a.m.

Why it matters to me.

I started riding North Van trails in 1984. (For Fun) And to keep in shape for ice hockey. Stay fit have fun.

By 1990 (At 18 year old) I raced the first World Mountain bike championships in Durango. Lined up with Ned Overend and John Tomac. (Not bad) Ned won.

I even managed a few top 25's in World Cup cross country and some top 10's in downhill.

Thanks Paul and the Kariya brothers for making me realize I should cut my WHL career short.

Thanks for the humble memories North Van trails…. Thanks cut your bars….

Thanks Severed dick… It was already a classic in the 80's.

July 26, 2015, 11:26 a.m.

it's not just the shore, that style of riding/building is getting more popular across the province, of course we haven't had established, classic trails bulldozed to build them around here so I'm slightly less agitated by the whole thing than you folks in the Lower Mainland.

I personally find that style of riding so ridiculously eye-wateringly boring but quickly came to realize it keeps alot of riders off the trails I actually like to ride so it ain't such a bad thing at all :)

July 26, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

It is pretty much the standard SOP of all City Parks type departments. Even better is their solution to any trail erosion……haul in large dump truck or gravel and bury it all under gravel. Then watch it move off the trails when the rains come.

Winning.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/