smooth, flat trails

June 1, 2009, 2:43 p.m.

nice.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 1, 2009, 2:46 p.m.

nice.

nice nice

June 1, 2009, 2:49 p.m.

Galbraith Mt in Bellingham, WA is awesome. Lots of nice smooth trails. It's big enough to give you an idea of what a tough climb is, it's got a bunch of trails up top that are pretty mellow but plenty fun, and then lots of options for a fun downhill reward.

I'm still hunting for some trails that can rival it's user-friendliness around Vancouver.

June 1, 2009, 2:55 p.m.

J_claw - I'm in exactly the same position as you and I've been able to get my girlfriend around some of the easier Squamish trails. eg Alice Lake [HTML_REMOVED] Bob McKenzie[HTML_REMOVED]Robs Corners[HTML_REMOVED]Cliffs Corners[HTML_REMOVED]Mashiter[HTML_REMOVED]Jacks Trail. Thats a good few hours on mostly mellow trails. She'll even have a go on most of Rollercoaster.

June 1, 2009, 3:08 p.m.

nice nice

you sure are working on your post count with some winners.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 1, 2009, 3:27 p.m.

South Surrey bike park. Flat, with lots of optional low level woodwork along the main loop (BLT) for her to try when she's up for it.

June 1, 2009, 5:06 p.m.

you sure are working on your post count with some winners.

As long as the equation is still good

(equation: Rep / Post = How cool you are)

:england:

June 1, 2009, 11:11 p.m.

I second Da Peach's suggestion. Once she's comfortable riding a bike on level ground, Galbraith would be an excellent place to introduce her to trail riding. Bellingham isn't very far from Vancouver, as long as you hit the border at the right time. There are plenty of trails where both of you can have a good time, I introduced my girlfriend to trail riding on the Ridge trail. Check out ridegalbraith.com for a basic trail map, or stop at Fanatik (there are signs on the highway) to get specific directions.

June 2, 2009, 6:45 a.m.

I think the lost lake trails in whistler are the best. In a small area there is a network of blue crushed gravel trails for total tourists, overlayed with progressively harder single track from buff beginner to pretty fast intermediate. And when you look up, well, it's whistler, majestic snowy mtns all around. Remember, scenery is part of it too. I can ride there with my mother and I can ride there with my friends and have fun on both rides. And mom likes it too.

www.northshorebillet.com

June 2, 2009, 8:33 a.m.

Fishermans Trail Its really scenic, The trail follows seymour river there is a 1k boardwalk you can also go up spur 4 to lost lake.
This is the scene from the lake

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

June 2, 2009, 8:42 a.m.

Fishermans Trail Its really scenic, The trail follows seymour river there is a 1k boardwalk you can also go up spur 4 to lost lake.
This is the scene from the lake

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

I thought that that was Rolf Lake, not that it matters.

June 7, 2009, 7:06 a.m.

Yes, that's Rolf lake. Some people call it suicide lake as it's up the suicide logging branch, under suicide bluffs on seymour.

www.northshorebillet.com

June 7, 2009, 9:48 a.m.

I like the Poco Trail to assess newbies abilities. If you've been riding forever sometimes you forget what it's like to be a beginner and everything looks big and scary. You can start down by Colony Farm and head north along the Coquitlam River. Starts out nice wide gravel until you cross Pitt River road then you can take the single track along the river that leads to downtown Poco. It's perfectly smooth and flat with enough turns to keep it interesting. This pops you out onto the paved section which runs through downtown Poco to Lions Park. Cross under the Lougheed and more scenic double track all the way to David. If your newbie has made it this far (I've taken folks out that haven't, one guy from work showed up on a ten speed :damn: ) You can continue north toward the falls. One caveat, the remaining section should only be ridden if its dry otherwise it's a mud pit. The trail gets progressively more difficult but nothing anyone with moderate skills can't handle or walk around. There are a few undulations, a couple of creek crossings and usually a few small logs across the trail to give folks a good taste of "trail" riding without any serious climbing. And the reward at the end is a pretty nice waterfall. One final bit of advice, go early in the morning as the trail gets very busy with bikers and hikers and dog walkers and families out for a walk.

June 7, 2009, 10:18 a.m.

I like the Poco Trail to assess newbies abilities. If you've been riding forever sometimes you forget what it's like to be a beginner and everything looks big and scary. You can start down by Colony Farm and head north along the Coquitlam River. Starts out nice wide gravel until you cross Pitt River road then you can take the single track along the river that leads to downtown Poco. It's perfectly smooth and flat with enough turns to keep it interesting. This pops you out onto the paved section which runs through downtown Poco to Lions Park. Cross under the Lougheed and more scenic double track all the way to David. If your newbie has made it this far (I've taken folks out that haven't, one guy from work showed up on a ten speed :damn: ) You can continue north toward the falls. One caveat, the remaining section should only be ridden if its dry otherwise it's a mud pit. The trail gets progressively more difficult but nothing anyone with moderate skills can't handle or walk around. There are a few undulations, a couple of creek crossings and usually a few small logs across the trail to give folks a good taste of "trail" riding without any serious climbing. And the reward at the end is a pretty nice waterfall. One final bit of advice, go early in the morning as the trail gets very busy with bikers and hikers and dog walkers and families out for a walk.

I agree. This is where I started, and it hooked me. We even continued past the falls to the next creek crossing, which of course is where the exit of one of the Burke Mtn trails is. We walked up a bit, and said - no way!! Never will I ride such an insane trail. How little did I know. ;)

We used to call the coq river trail the mud monster. And for very good reason.

June 7, 2009, 11:08 a.m.

Does Blackcomb still do the super beginner family park thing? If so, that might be a good place to start as well.

iforonewelcome.com