Shore's Future not so bright

June 30, 2014, 11:05 p.m.

If you can ride it on a cross country hardtail it isn't a black trail I don't care what anyone says.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

July 3, 2014, 3:08 p.m.

If you can ride it on a cross country hardtail it isn't a black trail I don't care what anyone says.

So the shore isn't hard anymore then :P

Clunking is for retards.

July 3, 2014, 3:14 p.m.

What I mean is you can have, for example, a fast interior trail that has some features on it that you really have to think about or you'll get into trouble. That quick thinking at high speed makes the trail difficult. Even though it has no rocks, roots, or drop offs.

yep. if it's not tech enough for your prodigious skills, go faster.

July 4, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

What I mean is you can have, for example, a fast interior trail that has some features on it that you really have to think about or you'll get into trouble. That quick thinking at high speed makes the trail difficult. Even though it has no rocks, roots, or drop offs.

I think we should leave that style in the interior and keep Shore trails worthy of the name

July 4, 2014, 12:37 p.m.

Yeah OK. Like A-Line at the WBP. Other than a couple drops, I could ride that on a cross bike. It's like a double green it's so damn easy.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 4, 2014, 12:39 p.m.

Yeah OK. Like A-Line at the WBP. Other than a couple drops, I could ride that on a cross bike. It's like a double green it's so damn easy.

I've seen a guy on a fully rigid minute man bust nothings past all the floozy dh rigs on a-line, thats not even a real trail.

Clunking is for retards.

July 4, 2014, 12:55 p.m.

I took a friend down there on his fourth mountain bike ride ever. He laughed and said this trail is nothing more than a glorified sidewalk, let's go back to Burke.

So he forgot to have fun then?

Sometimes easy trails can be fun. I don't find Bobsled challenging, but it does make me happy to ride once in a while.

As for ratings, they are subjective to local area and what we are used to riding locally. If you've travelled at all anywhere outside of BC (and even the US PNW), you know that even our "green" trails (speaking largely of singletrack trails) are significantly harder than elsewhere.

Riding "mecca's" in North America like Bend, Tahoe, Mammoth, Oakridge, etc typically use the same green, blue, black. And what is green is often shockingly easy. We'd call it a multi-use path. Many places, the black diamond rating is more like a local blue minus the gradiant. Many of our black diamond trails that we consider dumbed down would still blow minds of many visitors from less root infested, gradient deprived locales.

So, it's all relative and subjective and who really cares (except the tourist selecting the trail for the first time). It's more what you take out of the trail. I've ridden some mighty fine multi-use pathways in my day….