Shore's Future not so bright

May 14, 2014, 7:46 p.m.

Wow, busy day on the 'net I see.
I missed all the action, was out building with Team Sugoi today.

This debate is endless, but its the choir who keeps coming to our public presentations that explain so much of why we are where we are and why we are doing what we are doing. Lui nails it.

I'll just let the picture below do the talking of the work we did today on the chunder bypass.
Because this is really what we do.
Old vs. New.

What does a kitten reacting to an iguana have to do with all of this I have no idea. Must be social media

Call me old fashioned but if you do not take something seriously it will not take you seriously. You may laugh at a cat reacting at an iguana as funny but losing Pink Starfish or Pile of Rocks due to lack of use you will not be so acrobatic upon hearing the news as this cat. Talk about detachment.

May 14, 2014, 8:14 p.m.

it's not the same section, it's a re-route.

which was undoubtedly also a lot of work.

Im not taking a side in this discussion either way. I have no input, i don't know enough to say.

WTF, Over?

May 14, 2014, 8:36 p.m.

which was undoubtedly also a lot of work.

Im not taking a side in this discussion either way. I have no input, i don't know enough to say.

oh for sure it was a fair bit of work.
just pointing out that they didn't take the old rock garden and turn it into what you see, it's a new line altogether.

either way that pic is a perfect example of when it's time to close a bombed out section and replace it with something better.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 14, 2014, 9:10 p.m.

Ladies and Lower Skull felt pretty damn old school on my 100mm travel 'trail' 29er this evening…..

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 14, 2014, 9:55 p.m.

Too good to not be quoted.

Yeah, coming on here, stirring shit up, hiding behind bad grammar and an alias.
If he is really that keen to change things, the a full disclosure of identity is probably in order.
I'll start.
I'm Steve. I've been maintaining on the shore since 2007, working on Eagle since early 2000s, and I'm one of the people Heckler mentioned with poster distribution, maintenance etc.
I've been riding the short since 1993, and honestly, it's the best it's ever been, I love some old school, but I love the new stuff more.
I've maintained through trail days, helped the Muddbunnies on Pangor, built my own trails, first with Chris2, we built the Full Pull on Eagle, second was the Imby climbing trail, I'm also a director of TORCA, and try to give back any way I can.
So who are you?

May 15, 2014, 12:22 a.m.

What does a kitten reacting to an iguana have to do with all of this I have no idea. Must be social media

Call me old fashioned but if you do not take something seriously it will not take you seriously. You may laugh at a cat reacting at an iguana as funny but losing Pink Starfish or Pile of Rocks due to lack of use you will not be so acrobatic upon hearing the news as this cat. Talk about detachment.

:orly:

Someone please explain.

May 15, 2014, 12:30 a.m.

dude. that's a gif in his post signature. see how some people have these in every one of their posts. simmer down man.

see …
| | | |
v v v v

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 15, 2014, 12:41 a.m.

So tonight I rode Upper Oil Can, Bookwus, Ladies Only, Lower Ladies, Natural High and Immonator.

The shores future not so bright?

I'd say those might count as some old school trails.

UOC skinnies with roots and rock faces, btw - nice bit of work being done on that trail in the last 6 months or so.

Bookwus is Bookwus, you either love it or hate it, personally = good times.

How can you not enjoy the work Digger did on the Ladies refresh, still lots of features, couple new ones, classic lines still there, all around mix with ample flow thrown in for good measure.

Lower Ladies, still a step up in the difficulty, still old school and wait -- Digger went in and rebuilt the coaster as well as some overall trail upgrades, so check the box for love on the shore for techy trails.

Fill your boots with options on NH and Immonator to exit the hill, ride around of hit the TTF.

You need to pull your head out of your ass if you don't see all the fun options on the trails out there, pick your flavour for the day and enjoy. You are out in the friggin' woods riding a bike, if you are not smiling and enjoying yourself then there are deeper personal issues you need to address.

So yeah, I had a pretty fun techy ride today, washed it down with a few beers, all with a big post ride smile.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to a rip on the new Expresso in the Toonie. Couple of days back I was hooting down Severed and Forever After.

Best of both worlds.

Thanks NSMBA for doing your best to maintain, improve and grow this amazing network of trails, many if not most of us are extremely grateful.

And a cross thread shout out to Mark, great job all around!

May 15, 2014, 5:32 a.m.

for the most part that's true, but at one point there was something different rolling. one or two people would pre-hike the trail to get a sense of what needed to be done. then the weekend before a group of the more experienced builders would hike the trail together and discuss the various sections that needed work. a plan was put together and a leader was assigned or someone volunteered to direct the work for a particular section on the trail day. on the trail day the volunteers that showed up were split up into groups with the work leaders and off they went. when the bodies were there it worked incredibly well. i remember a trail day on Ned's in particular where a huge amount of work was accomplished.

yes things are rolling and are much more succesful now, but don't discount some of the valubale things you and others contributed to back then. things like the corporate sponsorship program that Peter got going. some of the pillars of success that the nsmba enjoys today were sparks of opportunity not too long ago. i think it really does a diservice to people who have worked just as hard or harder in the past to make it seem that everyhting that came before TAP was unsuccessful. even though the organization is having more success as a whole today, we should all still appreciate what was accomplished in the past.

Another thing that keeps getting left out of this conversation is that there were countless hours put on outside of nsmba trail days that were largely unaccounted for back in the good old days.For instance,how much of your time on Severed and salvation was documented,Splink?

Much of that dropped off when the landowners started threatening builders and maintainers just before the permit system came in.

Some went underground but most walked away,making today's system essential to the survival of the trails.

Pastor of Muppets

May 15, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

Well that was mildly entertaining.
I like the new flowy stuff. I also like chundery gnar.
When the Gnar is replaced with easy stuff. The challenge is gone.
Executioner has been Tapped yet it retains its old school charm. I luv doing lower Executioner.
Trail builders and volunteers; Keep up the good work. Thank you for all your effort.
There will always be us Old school gnar types defending the concept of dramatic awkward nasty trails. Yes we like them and want to ride them.
Thank god we have all sorts of trails for all sorts of riding experiences.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

May 15, 2014, 10:39 a.m.

It's just Woodro's signature, he didn't post it to specifically irritate you. It's on all his posts, just like mine says "Ride, don't slide" on all of my posts.

If funny pics bother you that much, click HERE and scroll down until you see the following:

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
[] Show Signatures
[] Show Avatars
[] Show Images (including attached images and images in

Check or uncheck the boxes that you want to see or not see. If you don't want to see Woodro's kitten GIF, uncheck Show Signatures. Done.

Ride, don't slide.

May 15, 2014, 1:02 p.m.

:orly:

Someone please explain.

dude. that's a gif in his post signature. see how some people have these in every one of their posts. simmer down man.

It's just Woodro's signature, he didn't post it to specifically irritate you. It's on all his posts, just like mine says "Ride, don't slide" on all of my posts.

If funny pics bother you that much, click HERE and scroll down until you see the following:

Check or uncheck the boxes that you want to see or not see. If you don't want to see Woodro's kitten GIF, uncheck Show Signatures. Done.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly1al4K3u2M

So tonight I rode Upper Oil Can, Bookwus, Ladies Only, Lower Ladies, Natural High and Immonator.

The shores future not so bright?

I'd say those might count as some old school trails.

UOC skinnies with roots and rock faces, btw - nice bit of work being done on that trail in the last 6 months or so.

Bookwus is Bookwus, you either love it or hate it, personally = good times.

How can you not enjoy the work Digger did on the Ladies refresh, still lots of features, couple new ones, classic lines still there, all around mix with ample flow thrown in for good measure.

Lower Ladies, still a step up in the difficulty, still old school and wait -- Digger went in and rebuilt the coaster as well as some overall trail upgrades, so check the box for love on the shore for techy trails.

Fill your boots with options on NH and Immonator to exit the hill, ride around of hit the TTF.

You need to pull your head out of your ass if you don't see all the fun options on the trails out there, pick your flavour for the day and enjoy. You are out in the friggin' woods riding a bike, if you are not smiling and enjoying yourself then there are deeper personal issues you need to address.

So yeah, I had a pretty fun techy ride today, washed it down with a few beers, all with a big post ride smile.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to a rip on the new Expresso in the Toonie. Couple of days back I was hooting down Severed and Forever After.

Best of both worlds.

Thanks NSMBA for doing your best to maintain, improve and grow this amazing network of trails, many if not most of us are extremely grateful.

And a cross thread shout out to Mark, great job all around!

QFT!!!!!

Shed head!

May 15, 2014, 1:26 p.m.

this could actually be a productive discussion if the points were just presented differently. And probably at the AGM rather than on the internet.

And honesty blackfly, if you bought a 650b rim like a WTB i23, you would be so stoked that none of this would even bother you anymore

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 15, 2014, 3:53 p.m.

If the trail is too easy:
- Ride a hardtail
- Track down some OEM Nobby Nic's and put them on your bike
- Strap a couple of pounds of weight to your bike
- Contaminate your brake pads with oil or grease or something

Then things will be closer to the "good old days".

May 15, 2014, 4:40 p.m.

If the trail is too easy:
- Ride a hardtail
- Track down some OEM Nobby Nic's and put them on your bike
- Strap a couple of pounds of weight to your bike
- Contaminate your brake pads with oil or grease or something

Then things will be closer to the "good old days".

^^this