Shore's Future not so bright

June 18, 2014, 10:10 p.m.

Noticed no sign at top of Executioner tonight. Disappointed with people. That new skid road climb is sweet.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 18, 2014, 10:36 p.m.

Forever After is missing it's sign as well. Glue and drilled Robertson screws is a great idea. Or Tri-wing, those will mess with them:)

June 18, 2014, 10:41 p.m.

You would laugh at how many people ask me why my bars are still so skinny, and why I don't have a troy lee. Mostly because I'm old school, but also because I know wide bars are for poser fanbois and a skate lid is perfectly fine if you can fall properly and not use your face to stop your motion.

You're just jealous of those who do 650b back-tire "skiddies" on every slight deviation left or right on the Bridle path while wearing black knee-length compression socks and primary-colour molded enduro-style helmets (with requisite sun-shade) and race goggles of a another clashing primary hue.

June 19, 2014, 7:34 a.m.

Forever After is missing it's sign as well. Glue and drilled Robertson screws is a great idea. Or Tri-wing, those will mess with them:)

Can we electrify them?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 24, 2014, 8:32 a.m.

Rock steeps are the Shores next victim. The man has a valid point.
Not a problem all the best trails are built with out permission just as it has always been.
In fact shutting down trails forces us dedicated trail builders to build with out consent. This is something the DVR should be aware of. Work with us or we will ignore you.
Shut down the mountains to riding? The DVR knows that does not work.
How about some one starts up a new trail building/advocacy organization?
Call it the North Shore Preservation Society.
Interested? PM me.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

June 24, 2014, 9:06 a.m.

Work with us or we will ignore you.

Just don't wreck access to trails for the many people who enjoy the new school trails.

Yes we do need to have a advanced trails. But ignoring the land owners is not an effective way to achieve that goal.

June 24, 2014, 9:28 a.m.

Just don't wreck access to trails for the many people who enjoy the new school trails.

Yes we do need to have a advanced trails. But ignoring the land owners is not an effective way to achieve that goal.

They seem to be ignoring the needs of the biking community….have at it I say. I got 3 good years out of my illegal trail…they move so slow that if you work like a beaver you should get a couple good years riding before it gets bombed. .. I know ive already scoped a new line….just gotta wait a couple years until i get some more free time to start it up. This one's gonna be a bitch to find though…

I'm ignoring Smedley.

June 24, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

Please use the correct term "Land MANAGERS" not owners. We are the land owners - we the people. We elect the land managers to manage the land for US.

This is nothing to do with the above post other than correct definitions. I just hate reading that the DNV or other city or provincial bodies are the owners of all of this great land here in BC or indeed Canada. In fact this is why it's important to be aware of what our elected land managers (OK technically we elect people to tell the actual land managers how we the people want our land managed) are doing in our name. Look at all the provincial parks for instance. Are you happy the way they are managed? It's OUR land. There have been surveys in recent past asking for OUR input. Chilcotins is a recent one. I digress.

June 24, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Rock steeps are the Shores next victim. The man has a valid point.
Not a problem all the best trails are built with out permission just as it has always been.
In fact shutting down trails forces us dedicated trail builders to build with out consent. This is something the DVR should be aware of. Work with us or we will ignore you.
Shut down the mountains to riding? The DVR knows that does not work.
How about some one starts up a new trail building/advocacy organization?
Call it the North Shore Preservation Society.
Interested? PM me.

I had a similar thought re: a group to maintain the current "old school or middle school" (yes I use to call the trails we rode new school which was all the stunted lines and had ridden the original old[er] school trails). Although I was thinking of such a group WITHIN the NSMBA. I wasn't thinking of the "let us do it or we'll do it anyway" aspect either. But it is a good thought - would NSMBA support such a group? Basically add another trail group, a director for the group, a collection of trails? It might actually diffuse the situation if people saw that the NSMBA advertised that such a group was created, that these were the trails they were maintaining, etc. Then those who support the old school trails could lobby their director for whatever they wanted added etc.

June 24, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Titebond construction adhesive and then screwed on. They would have to spend half an hour chiselling them off and they'ed be in 10 pieces.

I'll happily glue on the new ones if required.

Once you have finished screwing them in - take a drill and drill out the center of the screw head - easiest on very small Robertson or Philips heads.

June 24, 2014, 2:33 p.m.

I had a similar thought re: a group to maintain the current "old school or middle school" (yes I use to call the trails we rode new school which was all the stunted lines and had ridden the original old[er] school trails). Although I was thinking of such a group WITHIN the NSMBA. I wasn't thinking of the "let us do it or we'll do it anyway" aspect either. But it is a good thought - would NSMBA support such a group? Basically add another trail group, a director for the group, a collection of trails? It might actually diffuse the situation if people saw that the NSMBA advertised that such a group was created, that these were the trails they were maintaining, etc. Then those who support the old school trails could lobby their director for whatever they wanted added etc.

Within or outside of the NSMBA there is clearly a large group of people who feel their opinions and needs are not being addressed by the NSMBA. (I will bitch-slap the first person who tells me it's just that vocal minority complaining on the internet forums) I've spent enough time listening to other peoples opinions on the state of the Shore to start to notice some reoccurring comments.

The one thing that resonate the most with me, is the number of people who have an opinion and refuse to voice it "in public" as they are (perhaps rightly?) worried that if it goes against the current Regime's trail vision then they are going to be shot down and ridiculed. I mean we have already seen that happen on here in the past a few times, yes?

Last time I looked we lived in a free country, and that means that the people that like the trails rough and rugged, that consider erosion to be a technical trail feature and OMG, still enjoy riding woodwork, have just as much right to state their opinion as those who like it all smooth and golden.

Maybe the answer is something along the lines of what Shaloamer and wwkayaker are suggesting, that someone or several someones take a more active role in the advocacy of more technical trails/trail features. Surely this could work withing the guidelines of the nsmba as their new mission statement of "trails for all". The biggest issue for any volunteer organisation is getting the volunteers to do the work!

The other key factor that is needed here, is the builders/maintainers who are still keen and interested in working on these type of trails.

So rather than bitching at each other and our personal preferences for what we like to ride, there should be more effort made to encompass all preferences of riding, just a thought :)

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

June 24, 2014, 2:41 p.m.

It could evolve into the Monty-Python-esque situation of the North Shore Mountain Bike Association, the Association of North Shore Mountain Bikers, the Mountain Bike Association of the North Shore and the North Shore Association of Mountain Bikers all duking it out for funding, a voice, a piece of the pie and influence with the decision makers. To which I say "Follow the shoe!".

June 24, 2014, 3:03 p.m.

This already seems to be happening with Cypress, which isn't recognized by the nsmba, and has it's own trail association. As a relative newcomer, this seems like a weird situation, and counterproductive. Does anyone have ideas on why this is happening? That would be the first step towards finding a solution.

June 24, 2014, 3:49 p.m.

This already seems to be happening with Cypress, which isn't recognized by the nsmba, and has it's own trail association. As a relative newcomer, this seems like a weird situation, and counterproductive. Does anyone have ideas on why this is happening? That would be the first step towards finding a solution.

AS i understand it, NSMBA simply doesnt have the resources to cover all three riding zones….Cypress was the last of the free-for-alls and even there the clamp-down is strong now.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

June 24, 2014, 4 p.m.

The NSMBA only does work with the approval of the land manager. That is why they cannot do anything on Cypress at this point in time.

stated better.