Shore racers...a dying breed?

March 21, 2013, 12:36 p.m.

maybe 20 somethings can't afford to live in Metro Vancouver or afford to buy a bike?

March 21, 2013, 6:40 p.m.

maybe 20 somethings can't afford to live in Metro Vancouver or afford to buy a bike?

That's a load of crap. It's all about priorities. If you love bikes, you will have bikes. In my teens and 20's, I always had a bike, if not two, that were always worth more than my car. Who didn't?

It wasn't until my 30's that the bike-to-car value shifted. But still, the value of the bike shed still exceed the value of the cars in the driveway.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

March 26, 2013, 9:35 p.m.

just saw in the newspaper today that current 20somethings make about $10K less per year (even adjusted for inflation) than 20 somethings did in the 1980s and 1990s

the top 1% who want to push to their maximum potential will make sacrifices, but it seems like it is only those local 20something mtn bike racers who are still competing
who is missing is the other 99% who don't have that extra $10K and are not willing to sacrifice more important things in their own lives to race

I no longer xc ski race because of the sacrifice in time to drive to the trails (I can bike directly from my back door) So I can see that the many people in older age groups who now trail run instead of bike race making that descision based on the same line of reasoning (lack of time because they are working more just to live here)