Shore Play Exploits

March 30, 2011, 8:30 a.m.

Shore Play has been taking a beating lately. A bunch of people are making new lines and as a result ruining the trail! Racers? Anyways way off base who ever they are. Make a new trail somewhere else, don't be ruining a trail that was already there!

March 30, 2011, 8:35 a.m.

Who has been maintaining the trail?

Perhaps we need to organize a mini trail day?

March 30, 2011, 10:07 a.m.

email Mathew Bond, NSMBA president - [email protected] he'll be able to put you in touch with equipment and maybe some volunteers + planning resources for a trail day.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

March 30, 2011, 10:27 a.m.

I ride Cypress often and Shore play is a great trail, and yes there are a few lines that have been added but they do not ruin the trail, they often enhance it. That being said its not cool for anyone to go and throw wood, rocks and debris on a line, if you dont want to ride it, then take the lines you like.

So this goes out to the dumbass who threw tons of crap in the lines, the riders dont know till they are hitting the line that it has been compromised and there is great risk of severe injury. So throwing a stump at the bottom of a Gee-out could result in someone busting someone elses head open.

I think its fair to say that if anyone gets caught doing this kinda heroics ought to have his head beat with a stick. No one owns the trails and this behavior is risky. So who ever is acting like a self righteous lame brain, knock it off before you hurt someone. Some of us ride these trails at night in the rain. Do you want it on your head if you cripple other riders?

March 30, 2011, 10:42 a.m.

I ride Cypress often and Shore play is a great trail, and yes there are a few lines that have been added but they do not ruin the trail, they often enhance it. That being said its not cool for anyone to go and throw wood, rocks and debris on a line, if you dont want to ride it, then take the lines you like.

So this goes out to the dumbass who threw tons of crap in the lines, the riders dont know till they are hitting the line that it has been compromised and there is great risk of severe injury. So throwing a stump at the bottom of a Gee-out could result in someone busting someone elses head open.

I think its fair to say that if anyone gets caught doing this kinda heroics ought to have his head beat with a stick. No one owns the trails and this behavior is risky. So who ever is acting like a self righteous lame brain, knock it off before you hurt someone. Some of us ride these trails at night in the rain. Do you want it on your head if you cripple other riders?

yes and no

often braids and secondary lines compromise then original line, increase erosion, and make a big sloppy mess. they can pussify good lines and fuel mountain bike naysayers

often they don't. sometimes a good dangle is way more fun than the actual line, completely sustainable, and all-in-all good times.

I guess my view is pretty arbitrary based on whether i like the dangle or not.

throwing deadly stuff at the bottom of g-outs is not cool, but if the rest of the poach is covered in sticks rocks and stumps you should probably expect it.

also, someone has been throwing shit all over some pretty sweet and low key lines up on fromme. any reason why?

March 30, 2011, 10:51 a.m.

I say preserve the original line whenever possible. Braids ruin trails and make us look like asses. The worst example is the ruined switchbacks at the bottom of Stupid Grouse just above the exit on 22nd. Would it really kill you to ride some switchbacks instead of going straight down?

Sadly Shoreplay's days are numbered - but that doesn't mean you should braid the trail. Respect the builiders' original lines.

March 30, 2011, 10:52 a.m.

I say preserve the original line whenever possible. Braids ruin trails and make us look like asses. The worst example is the ruined switchbacks at the bottom of Stupid Grouse just above the exit on 22nd. Would it really kill you to ride some switchbacks instead of going straight down?

that big straight line is an example of my fun dangles
:devil::devil::devil:

March 30, 2011, 11:15 a.m.

that big straight line is an example of my fun dangles
:devil::devil::devil:

I agree with your response, partially. The Stupid grouse line that cuts the switch back is a sweet dh line and it doesnt affect the switch backs, so why mess with it?

The extra lines I often ride are harder than the original lines and they are usually good additions. Think of a trail as a snakes and ladders board, theres options!

Trail erosion is natures way of progressing a trail.

Now I dont create the lines I just ride them. Dangerous enough sport without the surprises.

March 30, 2011, 11:19 a.m.

Sadly Shoreplay's days are numbered - but that doesn't mean you should braid the trail. Respect the builders' original lines.

To you Cam I say, original lines or inventions are often changed or innovated to create a a different yet parallel experience. We all want a better mouse trap right? Now is Shore play doomed due to erosion or are they cutting it down for houses?

March 30, 2011, 11:48 a.m.

Houses unfortunately.

March 30, 2011, 11:50 a.m.

Na. Sorry don't be making new lines, the trail is a mess. I can understand an easy out line but not a line that bypasses and erodes the trail beside it. Make a completely new trail if you want to but don't be changing the original lines so much there are 2 to 3 routes.

March 30, 2011, 11:59 a.m.

This.

Na. Sorry don't be making new lines, the trail is a mess. I can understand an easy out line but not a line that bypasses and erodes the trail beside it. Make a completely new trail if you want to but don't be changing the original lines so much there are 2 to 3 routes.

And this.

I agree with your response, partially. The Stupid grouse line that cuts the switch back is a sweet dh line and it doesnt affect the switch backs, so why mess with it?

Because it's completely fall line, channels water run off, and is now a blown out, messy, unsightly scree-slope?

Not that I don't appreciate the effort put in by the builders, but Shore Play was always very fall line and I suspect there is very little that could have been done to prevent it from going the way that it has.

March 30, 2011, noon

To you Cam I say, original lines or inventions are often changed or innovated to create a a different yet parallel experience. We all want a better mouse trap right? Now is Shore play doomed due to erosion or are they cutting it down for houses?

On the other hand, what if someone was to go pencil in a smiley face on the mona lisa because she looked surly? We can all agree that it would be disrepectful right?
If you don't like the trail that was built, then either build a new line yourself, adopt it and re-route it properly, or ride something else. braiding just sucks in every way.

March 30, 2011, 12:02 p.m.

Trail erosion is natures way of progressing a trail.

wat?

March 30, 2011, 12:24 p.m.

Trail erosion is natures way of turning the trail into a stream and then a small creek. It is not progression….just go look at old trails and all the runoff they have.