Shore Climbing Routes

Dec. 4, 2017, 7:35 p.m.

If I do it I tend to park at the tennis courts, ride up to the top of what looks to be called Skid Road Ascent now, then think "f*ck this!", and just hike up the sneaky old skidder that runs north from there. There's always a smug / sad sense of satisfaction having a whippet overtake you lower down the trail only to overtake them again on the hiking section when they are seemingly riding around in circles for an hour.

Last edited by: trumpstinyhands on Dec. 4, 2017, 7:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 5, 2017, 2:46 p.m.

This reminds me I haven't tried NQ on my new bike. I should, just to suffer and not feel guilty about consuming excessive beer afterward (you know, to undo any potential fitness gains from said climb). Executioner is a fun rip too. Maybe this weekend with the sun...

Dec. 5, 2017, 3:17 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

If I do it I tend to park at the tennis courts, ride up to the top of what looks to be called Skid Road Ascent now, then think "f*ck this!", and just hike up the sneaky old skidder that runs north from there. .

No excuse for not trying to clean the old Peugeot Trails/Pops Trail short cut too. ;-)

Before some trees fell across the flatter sections last winter it was cleanable on a good day

Dec. 6, 2017, 11:42 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

This reminds me I haven't tried NQ on my new bike. I should, just to suffer and not feel guilty about consuming excessive beer afterward (you know, to undo any potential fitness gains from said climb). Executioner is a fun rip too. Maybe this weekend with the sun...

What are you saying? It's called recovery beer. I think many will be riding this weekend, skiing is on hold for now.

Dec. 6, 2017, 5:41 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

What are you saying? It's called recovery beer. I think many will be riding this weekend, skiing is on hold for now.

Haha yep, expecting a lot of people to be out enjoying the weather. I was debating ski touring one day as I want to get my legs under me but it will be pretty tempting to just bike... sounds like all of Seymour is good to go.

Dec. 7, 2017, 10:04 a.m.

Haha yep, expecting a lot of people to be out enjoying the weather. I was debating ski touring one day as I want to get my legs under me but it will be pretty tempting to just bike... sounds like all of Seymour is good to go.

Seymour ski touring should be Ok, Hollyburn was far too boney last weekend on the bottom half.

I'm sure most trails will be good to go for bikes this weekend.

Jan. 10, 2018, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Yeah it sucks, but I ride it frequently. I am drawn to it but don't know why. It is a really good route to take if you want to get out there for some solitude. Executioner doesn't see a lot of traffic, and I enjoy ripping down Dreamweaver.

You love the pain! That's a principal driver for many who ride bikes: Choose pain. Choose to be alone. It doesn't matter if you're in the woods or on the road, the solitude and pain are a common driver for many who pedal. Ive been through it too....Loving the pain is the one item that separates good from great riders. I don't love the pain so much anymore!

People who love riding and love pain often love climbing. And training in the gym. And so end up in an awesome positive feedback loop. More climbing combined with heavy lifting and HIIT training makes for really powerful riding.

May 11, 2018, 6:44 a.m.

It looks like a lot of work has been done on the climbing route.  Rode Executioner across Baden back to Mtn Hwy, this week and noticed on the the few parts of that route that cross the climbing trail much new dirt.   That and parts of Baden have also been worked on as well.  Some really fast parts with the new work.

Next time over at Fromme will have to do the climbing route.

May 11, 2018, 10:11 a.m.

no quarter has seen some serious buffing this year. running really nicely. the skid road rootgnar section is still a slog, but the rest of the climb is nearing a pleasant experience.

May 11, 2018, 10:54 a.m.

Yeah tons of work in the past year, cheers to Pete and all others involved. I'm a crap climber and I can pretty easily make it from the tennis courts to Executioner now without much effort. Still a few on-off the bike bits from Executioner to D'yer and then I just walk the damn root ribcage bit to the final switchbacks. It's still faster for me to climb Mtn Highway but the climb trail is more fun and gets you the extra lower trails to Braemar.

May 13, 2018, 9:52 p.m.

Rode  the no quarter climbing route today.  Damn it was hot.  First try of the year for me.  As noted by others the trail is very buff right now.  All the technical aspects of the climb are gone.  Only requirement is to focus on keeping the legs spinning and air in the lungs.  I definitely needed a few breaks on the climb today from both the heat and the fatigue (legs and lungs).  As much as it felt like I had no energy on the climb and needed a few breaks, I posted my fastest time (still really slow and keeps me firmly at the bottom of the times.)

Rode Expresso (upper and lower), so much flow on the trails.  My legs were tired from trying to push the pace.  Super work by on both those trails for the flow.  Thank you.

May 14, 2018, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

no quarter has seen some serious buffing this year. running really nicely. the skid road rootgnar section is still a slog, but the rest of the climb is nearing a pleasant experience.

First time up it for me this year as well on Saturday.  All the work has definitely made it a much more enjoyable climb up to the Executioner bench.  Kudos to the builders for that.  Ramble on and the rib cage are still what will make me choose the fire road over the climb trail on most days.  I was hoping that a set of switchbacks to link up the Exectioner bench to the end of the rib cage might happen someday, but Im not sure that is even being considered?

May 14, 2018, 8:37 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

First time up it for me this year as well on Saturday.  All the work has definitely made it a much more enjoyable climb up to the Executioner bench.  Kudos to the builders for that.  Ramble on and the rib cage are still what will make me choose the fire road over the climb trail on most days.  I was hoping that a set of switchbacks to link up the Exectioner bench to the end of the rib cage might happen someday, but Im not sure that is even being considered?

God I hope so. It looks like the forest to the left of the ribcage (rider's left) looks like it could totally work as an option.

May 14, 2018, 1:05 p.m.

Yeah, strange that that section hasn't been fixed. The erosion around the endless roots is getting bad. Really blows riding thru there.

May 15, 2018, 1:44 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

That would be awesome, because you lose a bunch of vert cruising down Executioner/Ramble On before climbing back up. If there was a direct route from Executioner Connector to Mtn Highway that would be awesome. I'm sure NSMBA and the builders know all this, will be interesting to see what happens.

As a fat office dude, the Fromme climb route takes me just under an hour from tennis courts to Mtn Highway. I can do Fromme parking lot to top of NQ in about 30-35 minutes and spend significantly less energy (granted that is less vertical gained).