Shore Climbing Routes

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:30 p.m.

Is that not effectively the bottom of penzoil? If anything it is slightly further

I was just kidding. The leaders beat my best time by 20 mins, just looking for an excuse for my suckage.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 26, 2016, 7:21 a.m.

I won't even look at thoses times lol. I'll just take making it to the top and having enough energy to ride down! You know you haven't been riding enough when your 14 month old rear 3C Minion still has side knobs. :(

Aug. 26, 2016, 7:29 a.m.

Went and climbed NQ last night.
Looked at my strava time
Screen said " Why do you even bother? You suck!"

Aug. 26, 2016, 8:49 a.m.

I know Dre, he only rides electric. In fact I can confirm that all those times were done on electric bikes. or possibly dirtbikes ;)

Aug. 26, 2016, 8:52 a.m.

Saw an older gent crushing the NQ climb on a Specialized E bike last week. He was giving it a good effort, which made his climbing speed almost cartoonish on the skid road

Aug. 26, 2016, 9:46 a.m.

What's this "cleaning" people are referring to on the Fromme climbing trail? Is that the same thing my wife is always saying I don't do?:rolleyes:

I'm just happy if I'm not so tired after pushing my bike up the climbing trail that I can still ride effectively downhill.:lol:

I do have to say that the upper half of the climbing trail does make a nice fast loop with the upper part of Executioner. But, being a high gravity old fart, I generally prefer the Mountain Highway fire road over the full climb trail because the lower section (before it meets up with Executioner) is just too much pain for too little reward for me. Each to their own though. The more variety the better and kudos to all who have worked on building this route.

Aug. 26, 2016, 2:58 p.m.

What's this "cleaning" people are referring to on the Fromme climbing trail? Is that the same thing my wife is always saying I don't do?:rolleyes:

I'm just happy if I'm not so tired after pushing my bike up the climbing trail that I can still ride effectively downhill.:lol:

I do have to say that the upper half of the climbing trail does make a nice fast loop with the upper part of Executioner. But, being a high gravity old fart, I generally prefer the Mountain Highway fire road over the full climb trail because the lower section (before it meets up with Executioner) is just too much pain for too little reward for me. Each to their own though. The more variety the better and kudos to all who have worked on building this route.

I resemble these comments and feel no shame hopping off an pushing the rooty skid road and a few other sections :). My recovery is sped up and pain reduced when I switch between climbing and pushing too.

Big fan of throwing in an extra upper Executioner each time I am on that side as it's super fun and doesn't add much time to climb back up from.

I'm definitely more efficient going up Mountain Highway, but it's more fun to do the climb trail and you get Lower Crippler etc. as a finisher. Options are always good.

Aug. 26, 2016, 3:05 p.m.

I resemble these comments and feel no shame hopping off an pushing the rooty skid road and a few other sections :). My recovery is sped up and pain reduced when I switch between climbing and pushing too.

Big fan of throwing in an extra upper Executioner each time I am on that side as it's super fun and doesn't add much time to climb back up from.

I'm definitely more efficient going up Mountain Highway, but it's more fun to do the climb trail and you get Lower Crippler etc. as a finisher. Options are always good.

This^^

Also shout out to the trail fairies who filled in the nasty root section at the bottom of Dreamweaver.

Aug. 26, 2016, 6:20 p.m.

The fairies have been busy over the last year on no quarter. Noticed a few re routes and smooth outs that really help with lowering heart rate in a few key sections. Stoked for the rains to return next week and with them some cool temps, it's too damn hot to climb!

Aug. 28, 2016, 8:44 p.m.

I went up No Quarter this afternoon for the first time. Awesome climbing route! I'm very impressed how the builders were able to link together so many pieces of existing trails and end up with a climb that is fairly consistent (other than the rooty bit near the end, most of which I pushed through) in style the whole way up.

Aug. 31, 2016, 7:15 a.m.

I rode it last night for the first time, it's a fantastic route. Not something I'll be doing every Fromme ride but a once a month thing might make a man out of me someday.

Dec. 3, 2017, 10:42 p.m.

I’m bumping this thread because I need a place to proclaim the extreme pain I felt today on my first ever ride up NQ. You guys were not kidding!

It probably didn’t help that I was riding an E29, but NQ is way more painful than BLT and it makes the Seymour climb from Old Buck to PL and GSM look like a spin.<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Route was up Mtn Hwy, dn oilcan and across Bp to the climbing route and then down leppard/cc/kirkford. Much pain was felt. Much joy was had at the sight of MTN highway after climbing. </span>

Last edited by: Ddean on Dec. 4, 2017, 9:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 4, 2017, 7:30 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I’m bumping this thread because I need a place to proclaim the extreme pain I felt today on my first ever ride up NQ. You guys were not kidding! 

It probably didn’t help that I was riding an E29, but NQ is way more painful than BLT and it makes the Seymour climb from Old Buck to PL and GSM look like a spin.

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Route was up Mtn Hwy, dn oilcan and across Bp to the climbing route and then down leppard/cc/kirkford. Much pain was felt. Much joy was had at the sight of MTN highway after climbing.  </span>

Yeah it sucks, but I ride it frequently. I am drawn to it but don't know why. It is a really good route to take if you want to get out there for some solitude. Executioner doesn't see a lot of traffic, and I enjoy ripping down Dreamweaver.

Dec. 4, 2017, 8:21 a.m.

Yeah, I did it a few weeks back. probably never again. I don't mind a good slog up a hill but I got so pissed when I started to descend half way up the dam thing. Hopefully its not the finished thing and there going to be additions to the route.

Dec. 4, 2017, 11:11 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Yeah it sucks, but I ride it frequently. I am drawn to it but don't know why. It is a really good route to take if you want to get out there for some solitude. Executioner doesn't see a lot of traffic, and I enjoy ripping down Dreamweaver.

You love the pain! That's a principal driver for many who ride bikes: Choose pain. Choose to be alone. It doesn't matter if you're in the woods or on the road, the solitude and pain are a common driver for many who pedal. Ive been through it too....Loving the pain is the one item that separates good from great riders. I don't love the pain so much anymore!