Shore Climbing Routes

April 16, 2016, 4:15 p.m.

North Shore climbing is now a game changer, but for those in search of the holy suffering epic single track grail… Pemberton, Happy/Nimby/Middle Earth\Rudy\Gravatron\JTR. And Westbank, The Gruel/Soul Train\Feel the Love. Put these on your bucket list for sure.

Some other must do climb trails are Big Trouble Little Chainring and Bear Buns on Bear Mountain, and the Maple Mountain climb trail on the island.

April 18, 2016, 10:26 a.m.

The difference between No Quarter and the other mentioned climbing routes ( BTLC, GSM, Happy/Nimby ) is that these trails were planned from the start as climbing routes.

NQ pieced together sections of downhill trails,loamers and skid roads to hash together a climb. Already sections of the downhill trails that are too steep to climb are being rerouted, so I guess we'll have a twinned uphill/downhill route when its all said and done!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

April 18, 2016, 10:44 p.m.

What happened to my snowy post?

Best hold off on the full BLT until the snow melts. I ran into this at 800m. It's about 10 minutes above the connection to the Cypress Mtn worksyard.

April 18, 2016, 11:10 p.m.

The No Quarter climb is an awesome addition to Fromme. It is doubtful I will climb the gravel road again unless begged by riding partners (admittedly likely given the nature of the No Quarter climb).

Jon

I faced this decision on the weekend… Cross Baden to the road and up, or just go up… Up wins. The road is tedious, but God bless it of course. The trail gets easier and shorter (in my mind, which IS my reality) each time. The skid roads are fine, it would dumb not to use them… Pick your lines and think of them as single track.

The final Lin k to the road has just been completed and is really nice.

April 19, 2016, 7:40 a.m.

I faced this decision on the weekend… Cross Baden to the road and up, or just go up… Up wins. The road is tedious, but God bless it of course. The trail gets easier and shorter (in my mind, which IS my reality) each time. The skid roads are fine, it would dumb not to use them… Pick your lines and think of them as single track.

The final Lin k to the road has just been completed and is really nice.

Absolutely agree with you. The only complaint is my lack of fitness. I can clean the trail with pauses to recover and take a long time (almost 1:20) to get up the climb from the bottom up to Mtn Hwy.

Those that are climbing it in half the time are not likely taking breaks to recover chunks of lung on the trail. My hat if off to those that climb it fast and or in one go.

My thanks go out to the builders who have put this line together, whether it be the new sections or cleaning up parts of existing trail sections to make the climb better. The two way sections of the trail are fun in either direction, just need keep aware of riders / walkers as you head up or down these sections.

April 19, 2016, 12:04 p.m.

What happened to my snowy post?

Best hold off on the full BLT until the snow melts. I ran into this at 800m. It's about 10 minutes above the connection to the Cypress Mtn worksyard.

Im surprised to see the snow in this picture. Ive been riding up to 5th all winter and there is no sign of snow at its entrance. This pic isnt that high above that - must be due to the orientation of the slope (away from the sun and shaded).

April 20, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

Surprising given the pictures of snow post earlier and the amount of snow showing on mountain webcams.

April 20, 2016, 9:34 a.m.

There was a time when no one would have dared mention the name of that trail on a forum.

April 20, 2016, 10:07 a.m.

There was a time when no one would have dared mention the name of that trail on a forum.

agreed, times have changed. discretion is pretty limited these days.

April 20, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

people make poor decisions everyday ….
hopefully they will understand and correct said mistakes

April 20, 2016, 1:44 p.m.

Edited my post but could someone give me the back story about that trial by PM? I moved here recently and really dont know, and didnt know that it shouldnt be mentioned.

April 20, 2016, 1:50 p.m.

people make poor decisions everyday ….
hopefully they will understand and correct said mistakes

wow, rolling out the welcome wagon! did you guys notice ddean's account is less than a year old? why not suggest an edit or explain the convention, instead of acting/posting like a bunch of passive aggressive dicks?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 20, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

Thanks, but its ok. Im sure someone will PM me and let me know why it shouldnt be mentioned.

Didnt mean to offend/reveal/whatever the issue is but I really dont know - to me its no different than any other trail - clearly theres something Im not aware of.

April 20, 2016, 2:42 p.m.

Thanks, but its ok. Im sure someone will PM me and let me know why it shouldnt be mentioned.

Didnt mean to offend/reveal/whatever the issue is but I really dont know - to me its no different than any other trail - clearly theres something Im not aware of.

You shouldn't feel bad. How were you supposed to know what trails certain people feel are 'private'? We live in the age of strava and trailforks… it doesn't take much for someone to pull up the strava heat map in one window and trailforks in the other and pick out all the 'secret' trails that show up in one and not in the other.

April 20, 2016, 2:44 p.m.

I'm still trying to figure out what the transgression was….